Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beaches with mussels in cork

Options
  • 01-02-2014 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi there could anyone tell me where I can find a beach in cork with plenty of mussels to pick? I need to collect 60 soon! Not too far west..preferably more around cork harbour and east cork! Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭thebishop

You wont find mussels on a beach. You need a rocky coastline to find em . Cockles you would find on most beaches under the sand.Both are good eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

try around Ballycotton ?, take the cliff walk plenty areas to try around the rocky shore

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Stay away from any development, mobile home sites or outfalls. Muscles are filter feeders and you may pick up a nasty surprise if you don't take care where you pick them. Ask locally to be sure it's an ok spot...

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

There are loads in Youghal Town. You will get them on the bottom of the slips etc at low tide.

I'm sure someone will comment on pollution etc but mussels used to be fished commercially by the locals but some factory boat from Wexford bought the rights from the Duke of Devonshire. They come to harvest and then seeds the place regularly. So I reckon they must be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Yawlboy wrote: »
    There are loads in Youghal Town. You will get them on the bottom of the slips etc at low tide.

I'm sure someone will comment on pollution etc but mussels used to be fished commercially by the locals but some factory boat from Wexford bought the rights from the Duke of Devonshire. They come to harvest and then seeds the place regularly. So I reckon they must be ok.

These processers hold the mussels in clean seawater for something like 24-48 hours after harvesting. You do not want to eat mussels near any source of human effluent without this type of processing. But hey it's your choice ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 mac4328

Thanks everyone but found some already on Saturday on Garryvoe beach

thebishop wrote: »
    You wont find mussels on a beach. You need a rocky coastline to find em . Cockles you would find on most beaches under the sand.Both are good eating.

Beaches do have rocks as well you know

• Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Milly33

I was just thinking are you going to eat these, I don't know if id chance it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭.red.

Theres a number you can ring about shellfish. You tell them where you collected the mussels and they will give you info on how safe it is to eat them from that area. I spotred it somewhere last year but cant recall where it was.
    A google search should find it for you.

No don't worry they're not for eating..they're for a a scientific study

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 pugsydoggz

mac4328 wrote: »
    No don't worry they're not for eating..they're for a a scientific study

You're gonna smash them open with a big rock aren't you? :p

Advertisement