Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rifle prices

Options
  • 01-02-2014 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

Hi guys just wondering how much would a decent rifle set me back maybe a nice .22 or something with a scope and a safe I know you can't give me an exact answer and I should shop around but I'm looking for an estimate and yes before you ask I have a licence on a shotgun.thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Tawny Owl

The Rifle second hand anything from about 250 upwards, a safe second hand €100 unless you want new, then thats a different ball game.you can get some great deals here on Boards throw out what you would like to spend ie your budget, you will get more answers good luck with the search.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Glenbulldog

Friend of mine just bought a nice 2nd hand cz.22 ,paid €400 for gun with scope no moderator,depends on the quality and condition really,

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Friend of mine just bought a nice 2nd hand cz.22 ,paid €400 for gun with scope no moderator,depends on the quality and condition really,

Thanks for your reply have about 8 or 9 hundred to play around with but still if I can get a nice rifle and any safe at all for 5 or 6 I wouldn't complain either !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

That's a good budget to work with.
    • Brand new Cz 452 in .22lr - €425 - 450
    • Rings to hold scope (new) - €30
    • Scope (new) in 4-16x50 - €250 - €300
    • 4 gun safe (new) for shotie & rifle - €175

So for between €880 - €955 you can have all the gear, brand new for just within your budget.

The CZ 452 is cracking little gun. Its the stable of any collection, and the majority of shooters wold have owned one, or still do, in the firearm history - myself included.

Your budget also allows for a higher "caliber" (spec and not actual caliber) of gun. Such an Anshutz, etc. Second rifles are a plenty and with a little leg work you can find a perfect fit for you within your budget.

Don;t rely completely on online shops. They will only show a fraction of the guns out there. I much prefer going to shops as my last three rifles have all been something i "found" rather than what i went out looking for.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Most people say you can't go wrong with a Cz 452 in .22, ive handled a few in shops and they are nice and light weight.

Personally if I wanted a .22 I would want something lightweight to carry around, which is why id choose the 452 over the 455. The cz 455 is a thumbhole stock and heavy barrel which is much heavier than the 452.

Paul O halloran in drangan, tipp, or Dungarvan country sports, have a nice selection of new and second hand .22's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

A mate of mine just traded in a cz 452. Rifle scope rings and mod 350 will buy it of the dealer. Between us we have the since. 2004 an I can honestly say it was very well looked after and minded. It's still shooting 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Glenbulldog

Thanks for your reply have about 8 or 9 hundred to play around with but still if I can get a nice rifle and any safe at all for 5 or 6 I wouldn't complain either !

I got my cz last year second hand great condition,safe,scope,moderator ,licence all in up and running for €700

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭wildcatares22

what corner of the country are you in OP?

what corner of the country are you in OP?

Don't know if your talking to me or not but I'm from Athlone only know two gun stores wild hunter in Athlone and mullvihals in ballymahon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭wildcatares22

Don't know if your talking to me or not but I'm from Athlone only know two gun stores wild hunter in Athlone and mullvihals in ballymahon

yes, you me good man.
    In athlone..
    wildhunter golden island
    outdoor sports(dave mulvihills brother des) opposite garda station
    james mcbrides ballykeerin

in Mullingar...
    outdoorsports near nct place.
    Lakeland guns out the kilbeggan road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭PL05

patrick carley in eniscorthy has some good deals on .22,s. A cz american, new with a hawke 3-9x50 scope and moderator for 650euro. plus deals on other .22,s check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭arrowloopboy

PL05 wrote: »
    patrick carley in eniscorthy has some good deals on .22,s. A cz american, new with a hawke 3-9x50 scope and moderator for 650euro. plus deals on other .22,s check it out.

I'll second that,looked at a CZ455 .17 thumbhole laminate/bull barrel with same scope and mod for around E730.00,in Carleys ,the ultimate bunny basher.
    You should also consider a .17hmr ,most guys I know that bought .22's and after a year or so changed to .17 hmrs .Other that the price of ammo,i don't see the point of the .22 anymore,and the price only affects you if you like plinking.

Went with a Marlin 917 .17 bolt action did I make right choice or will I go back and change my deposit to another gun looking for s good rifle for foxes

Should I go for a 223 instead ?

Marlin 17hmr??????

If so is very capable of tac driving.

If foxs will be your forte well a 223 is the right gun. If you want to shoot and eat rabbits aswell then a 17 is a good gun.
    17 can Be found lacking sometimes for foxs. But a 223 can be overkill for rabbits. If your shooting foxs then the odd rabbit 223 is the way. A bit more expensive to run doe that's the thing.

If it were me and I was shooting foxs and foxs only it would be a 223.

If I were shooting rabbits and the odd fox and some targets it would be the 17.
    Haven said that plenty of lads only have 17hmr and shoot plenty of foxs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Dian Cecht

If it's only foxes then definitely get a 223.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 samandtilly

I just got rid if my Marlin 17 hmr stainless fluted. It was a cracking rifle, very accurate and with the simmonds scope it was a real tackdriver. That said, my neighbor uses his for foxes and he tells me that it is excellent! I got rid of mine because the farmers didn't like the noise it produced and I was in danger of loosing my permissions. Even with a mod it's still very loud. My advice is, if shooting foxes it works fine, but not too far. Oh yes! it destroys rabbits, turns them inside out. Just my opinion!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I got rid of mine because the farmers didn't like the noise it produced and I was in danger of loosing my permissions.
    A .223 will be no quieter.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I'll second that,looked at a CZ455 .17 thumbhole laminate/bull barrel with same scope and mod for around E730.00,in Carleys ,the ultimate bunny basher.
    You should also consider a .17hmr ,most guys I know that bought .22's and after a year or so changed to .17 hmrs .Other that the price of ammo,i don't see the point of the .22 anymore,and the price only affects you if you like plinking.

Actually I moved the other way, had a 17 hmr and a 22, sure you could hit from a greater distance but it destroyed the meat if it was not a head shot.

The rifle needed regular cleaning as well.

The 22, I find is as much as I need and with the moderator it is much more user friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

17HMR fine to start with.

223 stoked with FMJ's will kill rabbits as far as you can hit them and little meat damage if you hit them broadside (straight-on or behind will do a lot of damage to meat).

fox vs 223 - no contest.

FMJ not good fox medicine - use soft points (SP or PSP), ballistic tip (BT) or hollow point (HP or BTHP).

you can buy cheap 223 FMJ around the same price as cheap 17HMR.

I've seen 55gr SP's 11.00 for 20, but never used them (PPU). Premium fox ammo will be more expensive than 17HMR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 D-mac

I got my .22 for 300, its a cz and it came with hawk scope, sling, bypod and mod and cleaning kit, the gun was second hand but was spotless. there is great value in second hand .22 lr. you would want .17 to have a more versatile gun. .22 is a great cheap introduction to shooting.

You got a good deal on your 22.
    If you master a 22 your going fairly good. I think its a great caliber cheap to run a load of ammo out there to choose from.

Advertisement