Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from Deck to Engine

Options
  • 01-02-2014 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Having completed my sea time required for my deck cadetship and with a BSc in Nautical Science how do you make the move over to the engine dept.? do you have to start from start all over again or is there a way of doing it without doing cadetship sea time again? i understand because its completely different work this is probably not possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭islanderre

anchor90,
    I know in the past it was possible to be OOW both deck and engine side; I remember reading an article in NUMAST I think about a guy with Shell who alternated his trips engine and deck side. Also remember speaking with some of the senior officiers who had sailed with the oil majors who knew of people doing it in the past.

The colledge may be your best bet to enquire furthur but a quick email / phone call to the Dept of Marine may answer your question too.

Islanderre

Advertisement