Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Procrastination is the thief of time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

With Gavin Duffy back in training and the training you have been doing lately, this could be your year!!:cool: Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Cleanman wrote: »
    With Gavin Duffy back in training and the training you have been doing lately, this could be your year!!:cool: Good luck
    Jaysus if I go sub 1:40 they might call me up;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Why did ye bring up Mayo football.... I don't think she is a bottler like the footballers!!!!!!

yes, I know Galway are poor of late :-D

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Why did ye bring up Mayo football.... I don't think she is a bottler like the footballers!!!!!!

yes, I know Galway are poor of late :-D

Poor of late you say, ah not at all:rolleyes: But I cant see Sam Maguire coming to either county anytime soon unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Best of luck 2morro sam.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Sam, I've no doubt you'll do the bizz tomorrow. Have a great night's sleep and hope conditions are perfect for you in the morn. Enjoy... and trust in your training!

Best of luck 2morro sam.

Thanks John, will you be in for a look?

Ososlo wrote: »
    Sam, I've no doubt you'll do the bizz tomorrow. Have a great night's sleep and hope conditions are perfect for you in the morn. Enjoy... and trust in your training!

Thanks a mil, the rain has started here already which suits me fine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

Best of luck Sam! You've the hard work done, 1:40 will be no bother to ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Thanks John, will you be in for a look?
    At about the same time as you are crossing the finishline i will be on a physios table.Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Well!!!?

Beef wrote: »
    Well!!!?

1:43:30, very happy, was battling nausea from mile 9! Back with report after long hot shower and several mugs of tea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

1:43:30, very happy, was battling nausea from mile 9! Back with report after long hot shower and several mugs of tea!

Brilliant time! Delighted for u! Hope you're feeling better now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Well done Sam. Great performance.

Looking forward to the report :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Well done SfM, was it windy, it was very windy here this morning.

TbL

Warning: Get a mug of tea it could be a long one.

Saturday-HM 1:43:30 (Previous PB 1:54:20)
    So up at 7am after an ok nights sleep. I was so nervous which isn't like me! Had porridge followed by tea and toast and was at the start line and all parked at 9.10. Good atmosphere around and plenty people I knew to chat to.

We were called to get lined up but the race started really quickly after and some of us were nt in the right place(My own fault really), consequently I spend the 1st mile(7.58) weaving threw people and 1:40 pacers were way ahead. Anyways I said don't panic pick it up and go with it so I settled ok, mile 4 had a decent enough hill so I focussed on keep effort steady
    Miles 1-4 :7.58,7.43,7.49,8(disappointed when I saw that). Miles 5-8 were flat and I was feeling good so got into a nice rhythm 7.38,7.42,7.46,7.42. I had company for this section as a nice lad had settled in beside me and it made the miles go faster. My only problem at this stage was I had planned on taking a gel before the water station between 6 and 7 miles but I was feeling a bit queasy I knew it was too big a risk so I just took some water instead.
    We were quickly into a section of hills and although I handled the hills ok I was beginning to feel sick as in I'm going to puke now:eek: This has never happened to me before in the middle of a race and I didn't feel under any massive pressure just working hard. The wind had picked up at this stage and I was hanging on for the turn into the woods for some respite. I was talking to myself about relaxing through the discomfort and do you know it helped, I started to feel a bit better and get a rhythm again. After coming out of the woods there is a dragging hill and it nearly was the undoing of me I really thought I would have to puke but I was to stubborn to give in so I took a big gulp of air and off again. This was downhill and I was again trying to relax. I started to pick it up for miles 12 and 13 and although I was drained I kept plugging away. I thought the finish line would never come and I was more than happy to see 1:43:30 on the clock. 11 minute PB. Miles 9-13.1 : 7:54 ,8:13,7.59,7.56,7.46,1.22
    Thank you all for all the support and encouragement and especially Career_Move who made me push myself. I started this training block aiming for sub 1:48, this was revised to 1:45 and then 1:40. Although I did nt achieve the A goal today I am now sure I can go sub 1:40 and that will be the aim for Athlone HM. I intend to take it easy this week and will then be look for advise regarding training for a few 10 km and a Sept HM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Well done on that excellent time. I look forward to the report.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

snailsong wrote: »
    Well done on that excellent time. I look forward to the report.

Beaten to it.

That's great progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Bravo Sam, great racing. Well done on toughing it out to the finish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

That's great running Sam and a massive pb to boot :D It's easy to run a good race when everything goes to plan but you have to show real character when things f up and you did that today and I'll bet you'll knock another big chunk off that in Athlone :D

I hope you're going to put the feet up now for the rest of the day :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Haha gotta laugh. Most people would tell you to put your feet up for a week after a goal race but c_m only gives you the rest of the day ;)

Well done Sam, more to come for sure.

snailsong wrote: »
    Beaten to it.

That's great progress.
    Thanks a mil, I was trying to get a look at your mate but he was too fast for me:D
    tang1 wrote: »
    Bravo Sam, great racing. Well done on toughing it out to the finish.
    Thanks Tang1, I was vowing never again at 13 miles:rolleyes:
    That's great running Sam and a massive pb to boot :D It's easy to run a good race when everything goes to plan but you have to show real character when things f up and you did that today and I'll bet you'll knock another big chunk off that in Athlone :D

Thanks C_M and sincere thanks for all your advice over the last year, if it was nt for your plan and then Blockic s I would be still dandering up and down the roads of Mayo at the same pace everyday. Oh and yes I have the feet up, the stove on and the wine in the fridge! It raining here all day, I was delighted it was nt hot.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Haha gotta laugh. Most people would tell you to put your feet up for a week after a goal race but c_m only gives you the rest of the day ;)

Well done Sam, more to come for sure.

Thanks Meno. She is a slave driver alright.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well done, congrats on the big PB!!

Great report there SfM, well done. As C_M said, you showed some character out there.
    A couple of things spring to mind... That's a great improvement in your PB, well done, you're heading in the right direction :D I do however FIRMLY believe that you're in 1:40 shape at the moment, so with Athlone not on until 13th Sept you may be aiming for under 1:40 at that stage if training goes well, so don't pin you target just yet.

As I said, poor starting position, feeling sick, bit of wind and a few hills today all are things that can go against you in a race like today, but you dealt with what you got and didn't panic and got on with it. All these experiences will stand to you in future races. On another day I'm 100% positive you would have went sub 1:40.

I hope I'm not coming across like a pushy parent with a child in a beauty pagent... 'You can do better, smile, sing you song, smile damn you child' :p

I just don't want you to sit back and take the foot off the pedal to much, you've made great improvements, but there's more to come. Well done again, you did great and we're all proud of you :)

PS It's not a proper race report unless you tell us if you had a bowel movement this morning :eek::eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Great report there SfM, well done. As C_M said, you showed some character out there.
    A couple of things spring to mind... That's a great improvement in your PB, well done, you're heading in the right direction :D I do however FIRMLY believe that you're in 1:40 shape at the moment, so with Athlone not on until 13th Sept you may be aiming for under 1:40 at that stage if training goes well, so don't pin you target just yet.

As I said, poor starting position, feeling sick, bit of wind and a few hills today all are things that can go against you in a race like today, but you dealt with what you got and didn't panic and got on with it. All these experiences will stand to you in future races. On another day I'm 100% positive you would have went sub 1:40.

I hope I'm not coming across like a pushy parent with a child in a beauty pagent... 'You can do better, smile, sing you song, smile damn you child' :p

I just don't want you to sit back and take the foot off the pedal to much, you've made great improvements, but there's more to come. Well done again, you did great and we're all proud of you :)

PS It's not a proper race report unless you tell us if you had a bowel movement this morning :eek::eek::D
    +1

Thanks Marty, To deal with your last point first lets just say needed the loo during the race was one worry I didn't have:D And thank you for your faith, Id say everything would have had to be perfect for me to hit sub 1.40 today but I don't think I'm 3 minutes away from it either. I have a 10 km in mind for mid July and one for August. Also have a 5 km in mind for June 2 nd so it will be straight back out there after the legs recover! I have pretty much decided against DCM this year, so Athlone will be the goal race for later in the year and you maybe right about setting a target too early. I wonder what I should be aiming for in a 10 km now? I hit 47.40 a couple of times in training lately.

Quick calculation i'd have you thinking 45min. Your 5k time in June might alter that a little but there abouts. Are you going to do the Mayo 5k series I've seen advertised on Facebook? If you could get to do it I think it would be very good for you in general. Sorry to hear your not doing DCM this year, I was hoping for some backup in mcgrattans talking to the Dubs :D:D

Oh and are ya not going to do the streets of Galway in Aug with you sister from oran?? A chance to visit the big city :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Hugh PB, well done sam. Plenty more to come :)

Advertisement