Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Procrastination is the thief of time

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Monday-4 miles easy followed by plenty foam rolling, 30 mins Pilates.
    The legs were sound today, did this nice easy run on grass.
    I'm a bit lost as of what to do next.
    I have a 5km in mind for June 8th and a 10 km for July 19th. I will be away for a couple of weeks in between the 5 km and 10 km and while I will bring the runners I wont be killing myself:rolleyes:
    Also have a 10 km in mind for August and Hm in September. So I suppose I will start back to some speed work for shorter distances. I will be keeping the miles between 40-45 as this is manageable for me. Any suggestions????
    I don't think you need to do anything too different from what you were doing. Lots of easy runs, strides a couple of times a week, midweek session alternating between a tempo run one week and some kind of interval session the following week and your long run at the weekend. I think you're in much the same position as myself - by increasing your aerobic base through lots of easy and steady runs your pace will naturally increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

^^Sound advice there ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

I don't think you need to do anything too different from what you were doing. Lots of easy runs, strides a couple of times a week, midweek session alternating between a tempo run one week and some kind of interval session the following week and your long run at the weekend. I think you're in much the same position as myself - by increasing your aerobic base through lots of easy and steady runs your pace will naturally increase.

Thanks c_m, I'm looking forward to something other than HMP miles:rolleyes: I'm meeting a Pilates/fitness instructor tomorrow who is going to put a programme together for me that I can do at home and just check in with her once a month once she checks that I m doing the programme right. Hope you got on well today.

^^Sound advice there ^^

As always:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Well done Sam! Plenty more potential there now..stick to what's working at the moment as you should see improvement from this for some time yet before you need to look at changing things up.

• Advertisement

blockic wrote: »
    Well done Sam! Plenty more potential there now..stick to what's working at the moment as you should see improvement from this for some time yet before you need to look at changing things up.

Thanks will do!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Thanks c_m, I'm looking forward to something other than HMP miles:rolleyes: I'm meeting a Pilates/fitness instructor tomorrow who is going to put a programme together for me that I can do at home and just check in with her once a month once she checks that I m doing the programme right. Hope you got on well today.

Would be interested to see what exercises/programme the Pilates/fitness instructor gives you to compliment your running and what the focus/aim of the programme is. Feel free to share after your session tomorrow:)

PS Nice PB at the weekend.

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Would be interested to see what exercises/programme the Pilates/fitness instructor gives you to compliment your running and what the focus/aim of the programme is. Feel free to share after your session tomorrow:)

PS Nice PB at the weekend.

I will keep you posted, tomorrow she will assess my needs, of which no doubt there will be many!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

I will keep you posted, tomorrow she will assess my needs, of which no doubt there will be many!

Oh my!!!:D:D

Oh my!!!:D:D

Settle down now, settle down!

• Advertisement

Tuesday 12 mile cycle.

Wednesday 5 mile run (started off easy but had to pick it up as the rain was torrential again.

I met with the fitness instructor yesterday and after many questions etc she is putting together a programme to do at home 2 days strength/weights toning type of thing with squats /lunges with weights and she mentioned jumps??? Push ups, arm exercises with dumbells and many more and 2 days pilates focussing on stretching, back and core. She will take me through it all next week and check I'm doing it right and it will be reviewed monthly. She said my weight was fine but to be at optimum weight could drop 3 ibs:rolleyes: That sounds easy and I know how to do it but have terrible will power. She was also talking about losing fat and gaining muscle, I will have to give up the day job and take up modelling by the end of it;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Tuesday 12 mile cycle.

Wednesday 5 mile run (started off easy but had to pick it up as the rain was torrential again.

I met with the fitness instructor yesterday and after many questions etc she is putting together a programme to do at home 2 days strength/weights toning type of thing with squats /lunges with weights and she mentioned jumps??? Push ups, arm exercises with dumbells and many more and 2 days pilates focussing on stretching, back and core. She will take me through it all next week and check I'm doing it right and it will be reviewed monthly. She said my weight was fine but to be at optimum weight could drop 3 ibs:rolleyes: That sounds easy and I know how to do it but have terrible will power. She was also talking about losing fat and gaining muscle, I will have to give up the day job and take up modelling by the end of it;)

When are you going to get time to run? :-)

RedRunner wrote: »
    When are you going to get time to run? :-)

The running will come first, the weights type sessions will be on days of easy runs and Pilates will slot in on rest days or on a not too hard day. I figure if I get off the internet and off my ass I have loads of time!! Oh we agreed 40 minutes for the toning sessions, 30 for the Pilates. Will give it a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

Your fond of the cycling! Is there a triathlon on the horizon?

Finnt wrote: »
    Your fond of the cycling! Is there a triathlon on the horizon?

No! Although I do like swimming too! I was nt in the mood for a run yesterday so hopped on the bike, nice change.

That's how it starts!! Fair play you'd a good result the weekend.

Thurs-Saturday
    No running due to sore Achilles and cranky children

Sunday
    4 miles easy
    Total for week- 12 miles:eek:

Monday
    6 mile tempo-8.37,8.04,7.47.8.08,7.33,8.03
    This was a bit all over the place but I was glad I did it as I have become very lazy of late!

Tuesday- 4 miles easy.Wednesday- 30 min Pilates . Thursday 5 miles steady and 40 min weight/core work. Life very busy at the moment and not really enjoying my running but I'm determined to get out when ever the chance arises and things should improve time wise in after 2/3 weeks. No pointed stressing about it as it's out of my control. Got the weights/ Pilates programme yesterday so at least I can fit that in at home.

How's the Achilles?

Finnt wrote: »
    How's the Achilles?

It's good probably due to less miles but I definitely notice it if I don't stretch properly afterwards. My legs are aching from the new exercises though, Pilates and easy miles tomorrow hopefully.

• Advertisement

Friday 7 miles easy/steady, 40 minutes pilates.
    My body was soooo sore today from all these new exercises with weights so I was nt feeling the love for a run toady, however the OH was home in time to take the smurfs to football so I say I will do a couple of easy miles. 2 miles in the legs started to loosen out and I was beginning to enjoy it so picked it up a little and did 7 miles. I had to dig out the AIS routine and a rope( belt of dressing gown:D) to get a good stretch in after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Friday 7 miles easy/steady, 40 minutes pilates.
    My body was soooo sore today from all these new exercises with weights so I was nt feeling the love for a run toady, however the OH was home in time to take the smurfs to football so I say I will do a couple of easy miles. 2 miles in the legs started to loosen out and I was beginning to enjoy it so picked it up a little and did 7 miles. I had to dig out the AIS routine and a rope( belt of dressing gown:D) to get a good stretch in after.

I tried different kinds of rope and even bought special climbing rope but I always end up using the dressing gown belt as it's the most comfortable if doing it in bare feet:D
    Nice run and good on ya with all that complimentary stuff!

Saturday -5 miles easy.40 minutes weights/core

This month=116 miles
    1 race =HM -PB 1:43:30
    YTD=659m

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Sam, will you be doing any of the Mayo AC 5k series? It starts in a week or two, details on their website.

There's nothing like racing to re-ignite the love of running.

I've done the last 2 years and it brought me on a lot.

Well organised, cheap, enjoyable.

snailsong wrote: »
    Sam, will you be doing any of the Mayo AC 5k series? It starts in a week or two, details on their website.

There's nothing like racing to re-ignite the love of running.

I've done the last 2 years and it brought me on a lot.

Well organised, cheap, enjoyable.

Hi snailsong, all those races are too far away for me, however I see Ballina AC are organising their own race series, a 5 km and two 8 km for 10 euro so I will definitely do those. There is a 5 km on next Sunday which I will probably do as well, although I reckon I will find it very tough!

Monday-3 miles steady
    It is a miracle I ran at all today as I was out gallivanting at a GAA dinner dance till 4 am and I woke up feeling like a dog that had poison taken:o Nothing mixes well with wine especially more wine! Anyways once I had consumed several gallons of water I recovered sufficiently to do a short run. Roll on bedtime.

Tuesday - 5 miles steady, 40 mins weights, 20 mins pilates.
    I enjoyed this but noticed my right leg was a bit tight kinda from the hip to the knee at the front/side, when I got home I did lots of stretches and used the foam roller which was very painful:eek: It was sore last night and very stiff today. I had a short cycle with the kids early which was nt comfortable so tried foam rolling again. That hurt but seemed to help a bit. I will rest it this evening and hope it rights itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Half of boards is bloody injured at the moment!

Beef wrote: »
    Half of boards is bloody injured at the moment!
    I know, I feel a bit achy and creaky lately in general, might be the introduction of the new exercises. Strange though as my leg feels like its bruised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

I know, I feel a bit achy and creaky lately in general, might be the introduction of the new exercises. Strange though as my leg feels like its bruised.

Might need to install the Nanny cam to make sure OH isn't gentle kicking you in the leg each night to encourage you to take a break and get a few jobs done around the house;)

Advertisement