Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Procrastination is the thief of time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Wednesday
    4 miles easy and 3 mile hill/ costal hike. Fantastic scenery although we were nearly blown away, chased by a ram and attacked by a rogue seagull, it must be a Dublin seagull cause Mayo sea gulls were never like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Wednesday
    4 miles easy and 3 mile hill/ costal hike. Fantastic scenery although we were nearly blown away, chased by a ram and attacked by a rogue seagull, it must be a Dublin seagull cause Mayo sea gulls were never like that!

If it had of been a Dublin seagull it would have beaten you. :p

If it had of been a Dublin seagull it would have beaten you. :p

It probably would the thug!

Friday
    4 miles at hmp, had warmed up with 4 miles of rapid walking trying to get sisters baby to settle. Had 1 hour at funfair and nearly lost the lunch. Send OH home with kids and hit the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Send OH home with kids and hit the pub.

What's your secret?

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    What's your secret?

The secret is say yes of course you should go golfing tomorrow and have a few pints! I'm after ring my father to go baby sit and release him though as a surprise!

No running since Friday, returned from my hols with a sore throat and head cold. Told the OH I was giving up drink for a month and he asked if I thought I could do it alone or should he check me in someplace:eek: I will have to get some running done soon or this log will be like Bridget Jones Diary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

No running since Friday, returned from my hols with a sore throat and head cold. Told the OH I was giving up drink for a month and he asked if I thought I could do it alone or should he check me in someplace:eek: I will have to get some running done soon or this log will be like Bridget Jones Diary.

As long as you don't need the Bridget Jones tummy compression knickers :)

TbL

[/B]

As long as you don't need the Bridget Jones tummy compression knickers :)

TbL

The cheek of you! Pardon the pun!

Very little running last week due to sinus/ sore throat followed by laziness.
    Saturday -4 miles
    Sunday 5 miles

Monday
    6.25 miles@ avg pace 8.35
    Really enjoyed this. Have picked two 10 km races to train for as I need motivation and to follow a plan .
    First one is October 5th (6 weeks away) and other one is December 7 th. Now I'm off to find a plan!

• Advertisement

Tuesday 6.2 miles including 6x1 km @ 10km pace:(:o

So I was looking at starting the Mcmillian 10 km plan next week http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056231396
    so I said I would give this a go as its mentioned in the above thread.
    It was bad, very bad. warm up then 4.48,4.34,4.40,4.50,4.50 3 minute jog between.
    Anyways I think its too soon to start this plan as Im way off the mark fitness wise. I think for next 6 weeks til first 10 km I will go back to basics, easy miles, lsr taking it up gradually and some form of interval/tempo run. Park run supposed to be starting here soon so could use that too. I could then start the 10 km plan with the December 10 km as my focus. Any suggestions or advice welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Tuesday 6.2 miles including 6x1 km @ 10km pace:(:o

So I was looking at starting the Mcmillian 10 km plan next week http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056231396
    so I said I would give this a go as its mentioned in the above thread.
    It was bad, very bad. warm up then 4.48,4.34,4.40,4.50,4.50 3 minute jog between.
    Anyways I think its too soon to start this plan as Im way off the mark fitness wise. I think for next 6 weeks til first 10 km I will go back to basics, easy miles, lsr taking it up gradually and some form of interval/tempo run. Park run supposed to be starting here soon so could use that too. I could then start the 10 km plan with the December 10 km as my focus. Any suggestions or advice welcome.
    Sorry your session didn't go to plan but I think you maybe were a little ambitious given your training recently.

Lots of easy miles like you said would be the way to go in my opinion. I would include strides a couple of days a week because they're great especially when you're not doing any speed work to increase leg turnover and just give you a feel for the faster paces without stressing your body out too much. Every second week you could include a steady run (pace about halfway between easy and MP) as this will work on your speed endurance. As you build up your long run you could include a few miles @ MP/HMP interspersed with easy miles to break up the boredom which will also work on speed endurance.

By my reckoning you have 10 weeks to the Dec 10 race so if you did that for say 6 weeks you would still have time to do a couple of those specific 10k sessions before the race.

Thanks Career Move, I was never very good at including strides but I will give it a go. I was thinking of going back to following the structure of Blockic s plan for us after the marathon which was really just introducing speed work and building up the miles, similar to your suggestion really. Its 14 weeks to the December 10 km so that gives me a bit of time and now I'm motivated;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Any suggestions or advice welcome.

Cut down on the GAA dinner dances......:P

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Cut down on the GAA dinner dances......:P
    Oh the good times are over alright. They were good while they lasted though;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Thanks Career Move, I was never very good at including strides but I will give it a go. I was thinking of going back to following the structure of Blockic s plan for us after the marathon which was really just introducing speed work and building up the miles, similar to your suggestion really. Its 14 weeks to the December 10 km so that gives me a bit of time and now I'm motivated;)

Sounds good :)

Wednesday
    3.5 miles recovery.

Thursday -rest day due to no child care and weather too bad to bring them to the pitch to get a few miles done.

Friday- really wanted to run but same problem as previous day!

Saturday- 8 miles, lovely easy pace @ 9:20 . Felt I could keep going all day and was going to do 2 more miles before been tracked down by the OH who had decided to get a game of golf in before Mayo game! One should never run to near home, it's too easy them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Bad luck on the result yesterday. Two cracking games of football. Were a joy to watch. Now c'mon the Dubs!

RedRunner wrote: »
    Bad luck on the result yesterday. Two cracking games of football. Were a joy to watch. Now c'mon the Dubs!

I'm gutted! You would think we would be used to it by now! Today will be an interesting one! I will be honest I'd love Donegal to cause an upset. Hope it s a good one. Enjoy.

• Advertisement

Sunday
    4 very easy miles, left leg a bit tight but was good after the easy pace and a good stretch.
    Miles this week 28
    Miles this month 83

Monday -5 miles easy
    Round and round and round the local pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Monday -5 miles easy
    Round and round and round the local pitch.

5 miles around a football pitch!!!!!
    How many laps is that?

5 miles around a football pitch!!!!!
    How many laps is that?

A lot! I was using the watch to clock it so lost count, keeping to the outer edges about 18 I'd say! It's boring but my way of getting a run in with the kids!

Tuesday- no run - no time.
    Wednesday - 6.1 miles
    Very slow to start, the re introduction of Pilates and weights has me killed. Anyways after about 3 miles of the here s my head , my arse is coming style of running I straightened up and enjoyed it! Needless to say I felt better afterwards.

Thursday
    10 mile LSR . Last couple of miles were a bit of a grind due to the heat and of course I'm only getting used to any form of long run again! Anyways it's done and now I have to figure out how to use all the blackberries we picked yesterday evening.

Friday
    4 easy miles. Nothing to report .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Friday
    4 easy miles. Nothing to report .

Nothing to report?? Nothing?? Come on, make an effort ::-)
    Any funny stories, what was weather likr, any housework mishaps ect ect :-D:-D

Or is Mayo still in a state of disbelief after the football :-D:-D

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Nothing to report?? Nothing?? Come on, make an effort ::-)
    Any funny stories, what was weather likr, any housework mishaps ect ect :-D:-D

Or is Mayo still in a state of disbelief after the football :-D:-D

The weather was misty and miserable a bit like the mood in the county! On the domestic front I am very much a domestic goddess baking blackberry crumbles!!! Think Nigella but thinner!! How s the running going? You all set for Athlone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Now that's more like it:-D
    Running was going well up to Wednesday when I had to cut a 24k run short at the 16k mark. Stopped to pour water over my face to cool down and when I went to go again my knee was not having it. A LOT of pain so got taxi home. Initial doomsday fears have subsided, I'll fill ya in later when on pc :-)

Good to see you back at it again on a regular basis after all your holidays and partying :-D

Advertisement