Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Procrastination is the thief of time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Friday - 50 minute swim
    Woke this morning to find I could hardly get out of bed with pain in my lower back. I'm not prone to back trouble and can't think of any cause but knew I could nt run! So after going around with a hump on me for a few hours I said I d chance a swim and it helped a bit. I m still hoping to be right for 10 km on Sunday and will probably rest tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Friday - 50 minute swim
    Woke this morning to find I could hardly get out of bed with pain in my lower back. I'm not prone to back trouble and can't think of any cause but knew I could nt run! So after going around with a hump on me for a few hours I said I d chance a swim and it helped a bit. I m still hoping to be right for 10 km on Sunday and will probably rest tomorrow.

Hope it's nothing serious. What's the 10k Sunday?

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Hope it's nothing serious. What's the 10k Sunday?

Cheers Tom, there is a 10 km race on Sunday in Crossmolina, plan is / was to go hard at it and use it as a where am I at race. I then intend to improve for the local 10 km in December. If the back is nt right I won't panic as there is a 10 km in Belmullet on Oct 18 th I hope to do as well.

Saturday
    No 10 km for me tomorrow or any other running either. In serious pain with my back, can't sit, turning in the bed is like a military operation and I have no idea what caused it. Very frustrating but still hoping it will settle quickly. Will rest completely today. OH reckons I should be lying on the floor but in this house I could get trampled to death!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Saturday
    No 10 km for me tomorrow or any other running either. In serious pain with my back, can't sit, turning in the bed is like a military operation and I have no idea what caused it. Very frustrating but still hoping it will settle quickly. Will rest completely today. OH reckons I should be lying on the floor but in this house I could get trampled to death!

oh you poor thing! Hope it gets better soon!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Saturday

Sorry to hear that Sam, hope it doesn't keep you off your feet to long.

Ososlo wrote: »
    oh you poor thing! Hope it gets better soon!

Thanks Ososlo ! Fingers crossed it will right itself with rest.

tang1 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that Sam, hope it doesn't keep you off your feet to long.

Thanks Tang, I hate this arsing around when I could be doing something even if it was nt running.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭xElDeeX

Saturday

Back pain is horrible but don't rest totally! Total rest is counterproductive in this case.
    I would post links to many articles about it but I can't as still new user :(

Stay mobile and stretch gently. Look up cat/cow stretch on youtube.....you're right not to run though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Hope it gets better SfM,

Would you not try and get a good massage on it today?

TbL

• Advertisement

xElDeeX wrote: »
    Back pain is horrible but don't rest totally! Total rest is counterproductive in this case.
    I would post links to many articles about it but I can't as still new user :(

Stay mobile and stretch gently. Look up cat/cow stretch on youtube.....you're right not to run though.

Thanks, I tried some gentle stretches yesterday and the cat one but today I have too much pain to try. I also had a very short, slow walk but it's not helping. Will try some heat later when they are all gone to football.

Hope it gets better SfM,

Would you not try and get a good massage on it today?

TbL

Thank TBL but the thought of it would bring a tear to my eye! I feel like I have trapped/ locked something. Will brave it for the weekend and see doc on Monday if no better.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Sorry to hear ur gonna miss the race tomorrow sam. I know u were really Looking forward to it. Hopefully the back issue sorts itself out quickly

Sorry to hear ur gonna miss the race tomorrow sam. I know u were really Looking forward to it. Hopefully the back issue sorts itself out quickly

Thanks John, I hope your come back run goes well. I m hoping if this settles to do the Belmullet 10 km in 2 weeks but at the moment I'd settle for been able to walk with out pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Ah no.... FFS, you were going well lately too. I know how debilitating back problems can be, I've been driven to tears in the past.
    Do not risk anything by trying to run (which is your plan anyhow I see) and take it handy on your return too.

Get well soon :)

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Ah no.... FFS, you were going well lately too. I know how debilitating back problems can be, I've been driven to tears in the past.
    Do not risk anything by trying to run (which is your plan anyhow I see) and take it handy on your return too.

Get well soon :)

It's a dose! I can't do anything! OH has had disc troubles and reckons rest is the key, tis very boring though especially as I was getting a bit of consistency back. Lucky the county finals are on tomorrow so I will have the day to rest. Disappointed to miss the 10 km as I was gearing up for it.

Sunday - No run since Thursday, still in pain but I think heat and rest is helping a bit.
    Week total 26 miles
    Edit: I was just looking back over my log there, was wondering was I near a 1,000 miles yet for the year and I'm at 1,078!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

How's the back? Congrats on the 1,000!

• Advertisement

Ososlo wrote: »
    How's the back? Congrats on the 1,000!

Thanks Ososlo. The back is not good, I thought I was improving a bit yesterday but in a lot of pain again this morning, if I stay lying down I'm ok but walking, sitting and driving a disaster. Going to get appointment with doctor today, want to get the doctor who is into running himself!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭conseng

If you attend the place down near the river you should be safe enough, I think there are 3/4 marathon running doctors there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Sorry to hear about your back. Unfortunately this is something I have experience of. Have it seen to ASAP by a doctor or a good physio (in my case the physio was much better than the doc but as physios can't prescribe you'll likely need both anyway if you want some pain relief.) Best of luck with it.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your back. Unfortunately this is something I have experience of. Have it seen to ASAP by a doctor or a good physio (in my case the physio was much better than the doc but as physios can't prescribe you'll likely need both anyway if you want some pain relief.) Best of luck with it.
    Thanks Murph, I know you had your share of back problems. In your case did it just come on suddenly or do you actually remember hurting it? Seeing the doctor later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Sorry to hear of your back problems Sam. I really hope it's not too serious. I've a long history of back issues, as you've probably read on my log. I hope it's something you can deal with easily. It's a difficult one to balance total rest vs doing something active. I was advised to keep moving after my recent bout, even just walking but everyone is different and you are doing the best thing in getting it checked. Fingers crossed you are not out for too long. Good luck with the Doc.

Thanks Murph, I know you had your share of back problems. In your case did it just come on suddenly or do you actually remember hurting it? Seeing the doctor later.

In my own case it was always related to something I did - bending slightly forward from the waist while lifting something, or a jarring incident like tripping on stairs or maybe just flopping onto a couch. Random stuff like that - I try to be careful about almost every type of bending or sitting motion I do now (sit ups and the like would be a big no-no for me), although it's easy to forget. The first few times the pain would go away after a week or so, then it started to take longer, which was when I started to take it seriously and have it checked out with an MRI on the physio's advice.

Very common problem for those of us with sedentary lifestyles it seems. Sitting is the new smoking, I've heard (I sat AND smoked for decades myself). :)

RedRunner wrote: »
    Sorry to hear of your back problems Sam. I really hope it's not too serious. I've a long history of back issues, as you've probably read on my log. I hope it's something you can deal with easily. It's a difficult one to balance total rest vs doing something active. I was advised to keep moving after my recent bout, even just walking but everyone is different and you are doing the best thing in getting it checked. Fingers crossed you are not out for too long. Good luck with the Doc.

Thanks Red Runner, I have been following your progress. Can't get an appointment with the doctor I want to see til Wednesday. I know what you mean about balancing rest and moving, as you know yourself it's impossible in a house with kids. Fingers crossed it will settle.

Thanks Red Runner, I have been following your progress. Can't get an appointment with the doctor I want to see til Wednesday. I know what you mean about balancing rest and moving, as you know yourself it's impossible in a house with kids. Fingers crossed it will settle.

Absolutely! Funnily enough one of the first times I hurt my back a fair few years back was when I was changing a nappy! I had him laid on the bed and he moved suddenly and I reacted to make sure he didnt fall off.

Murph_D wrote: »
    In my own case it was always related to something I did - bending slightly forward from the waist while lifting something, or a jarring incident like tripping on stairs or maybe just flopping onto a couch. Random stuff like that - I try to be careful about almost every type of bending or sitting motion I do now (sit ups and the like would be a big no-no for me), although it's easy to forget. The first few times the pain would go away after a week or so, then it started to take longer, which was when I started to take it seriously and have it checked out with an MRI on the physio's advice.

Very common problem for those of us with sedentary lifestyles it seems. Sitting is the new smoking, I've heard (I sat AND smoked for decades myself). :)

Interestingly I am finding it is taking me longer to recover fully from this episode. So I wonder how I'm going to break it to the OH that I'm never doing gardening or any heavy lifting again:D

• Advertisement

RedRunner wrote: »
    Interestingly I am finding it is taking me longer to recover fully from this episode. So I wonder how I'm going to break it to the OH that I'm never doing gardening or any heavy lifting again:D

I don't think you have to cut out this kind of work completely - it's just that you need to bend your knees rather than your back to do it safely. Ultimately it leads to better leg strength, which can't be bad for running prospects.

On the other hand, there's no need for the OH to know all this. :pac:

Advertisement