Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Procrastination is the thief of time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Week total =41 miles

The wedding went on til 5am and the combination of drinking, dancing and heels left me too tired for running today. I thought about it but said feck it will go do the shopping and getting organised for the week instead. No more wine until after HM:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Well in that case I would be tempted to give 1:45 a shot. Will you be there this year?

A thousand apologies, Sam, for the tardiness of my reply. I haven't been keeping up with the logs.

To answer your question, no I dont expect to be there. Its only 2 weeks after the Limerick marathon so I doubt I'll make it.

Before you nail your colours to the 1.45 mast, I'm not sure that will be paced. I spoke to a friend yesterday after the park run and he told me he was pacing 1.40. So I'm guessing 1.30, 1.40, 1.50 etc will be the groups this year. I checked the site but it doesn't say.

You can of course pace yourself to 1.45, its nice even 5 min kms or 8 min miles as I'm sure you know. Or maybe you could try 1.40...

Hi Snailsong, I think you are right about the pacers been 1:40, 1:50 etc. I suppose I will position myself a bit a head of 1:50 and try to pace myself (not my strong point:rolleyes:) Will worry about it nearer the time. Best of luck next weekend, Im sure you wish it was here already.

Hi Snailsong, I think you are right about the pacers been 1:40, 1:50 etc. I suppose I will position myself a bit a head of 1:50 and try to pace myself (not my strong point:rolleyes:) Will worry about it nearer the time. Best of luck next weekend, Im sure you wish it was here already.

Thanks.
    Yes, really looking forward to it. No injuries, ilnesses or soreness. Feeling strong. I expect the phantom niggles to kick in about mid week.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Week total =41 miles

The wedding went on til 5am and the combination of drinking, dancing and heels left me too tired for running today. I thought about it but said feck it will go do the shopping and getting organised for the week instead. No more wine until after HM:rolleyes:

I was running along the prom today and I thought of you. I thought you might have been a bit rough today for a run :)

How was the salthill hotel as a wedding venue?? Did you like it? as I said before, I wasn't there in a while..

Lovely day for running though, a tad on the warm side but that thunder shower around 5pm cleared the air :D

• Advertisement

martyboy48 wrote: »
    I was running along the prom today and I thought of you. I thought you might have been a bit rough today for a run :)

How was the salthill hotel as a wedding venue?? Did you like it? as I said before, I wasn't there in a while..

Lovely day for running though, a tad on the warm side but that thunder shower around 5pm cleared the air :D

Good spot Marty. Meal was lovely and the fact they brought out chips and sandwiches at 4 am was a bonus:D

Monday-6.5 miles with 5 at HM pace.
    HM miles were 7.59,7.44,7.42,7.34,7.33. It took me a while to settle into this so I was happy enough especially as I was sweating Bulmers:o. 20 mins pilates to finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Monday-6.5 miles with 5 at HM pace.
    HM miles were 7.59,7.44,7.42,7.34,7.33. It took me a while to settle into this so I was happy enough especially as I was sweating Bulmers:o. 20 mins pilates to finish.
    Nice work :D Averaging 7:40 pace - if I was you I would go with the 1:40 pacers and I'd have it in my head to push on from them after 10 or 11 miles :D

Nice work :D Averaging 7:40 pace - if I was you I would go with the 1:40 pacers and I'd have it in my head to push on from them after 10 or 11 miles :D

I doubt very much I could sustain that pace over 13.1 miles, its a pity there isn't a 1:45 pacer, I like someone else doing the work for me;)

I doubt very much I could sustain that pace over 13.1 miles, its a pity there isn't a 1:45 pacer, I like someone else doing the work for me;)

There's one way to find out for sure :D

• Advertisement

Tuesday 3.5 miles easy
    Very stuck for time today but squeezed this in, legs felt good after.

I was thinking the same thing. Go with the 1:40 group and my mate will talk to you all the way around. In fact there might be a few faster times just to escape.

But don't tell him I said that.

snailsong wrote: »
    I was thinking the same thing. Go with the 1:40 group and my mate will talk to you all the way around. In fact there might be a few faster times just to escape.

But don't tell him I said that.

I wouldn't say a word, in fact I doubt I would be able for conversation at all at 1:40 pace:rolleyes: I will consider it though, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

I'm going to go against the grain and say aim for 1:45 initially and ramp it up for the last few miles when you're feeling confident and strong. I went with a pace team of 1 for 1:45 in Waterford in December and I finished comfortably and my last few miles were my quickest. I'd rather be legging it towards the finishing line with the bit between my teeth than going backwards and having people passing me knocking the stuffing out of me. But the other guys here have more experience than me so take this with a grain of salt!

Beef wrote: »
    I'm going to go against the grain and say aim for 1:45 initially and ramp it up for the last few miles when you're feeling confident and strong. I went with a pace team of 1 for 1:45 in Waterford in December and I finished comfortably and my last few miles were my quickest. I'd rather be legging it towards the finishing line with the bit between my teeth than going backwards and having people passing me knocking the stuffing out of me. But the other guys here have more experience than me so take this with a grain of salt!
    I think I d would rather do it that way too. I have a big fear of going out too fast for my ability and ending up in a heap. I know the route very well so I know exactly where to pick it up if I have anything left. I would be thrilled with anything under 1:45. Have over 2 weeks to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Friday- 8.5 miles with 6 at HMP
    1 mile warm up, 6 at HMP 7.59,7.36,7.44,7.43,7.46,7.50, 1.5 cool down

I was really happy with this, the HMP miles were comfortable, I could have continued at that pace. Plan on a few recovery miles tomorrow and rest Sunday:D

Sometimes you should read your own log if you doubt yourself.

Given the above and your recent 5 mile time, I think you should definitely shoot for 1:40. I actually think you'll come in below it.

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Sometimes you should read your own log if you doubt yourself.

Given the above and your recent 5 mile time, I think you should definitely shoot for 1:40. I actually think you'll come in below it.

Thank you. I intend doing a session next week with 7 HM miles and depending how that goes I will make a plan.

Wednesday-5 miles steady @avg 8.15.(20 min pilates)

Miles for April 138 (one bad week due to strep throat):(
    One race-5 mile-36.44:)
    Miles so far this year =543:)

Thursday -5 miles easy, 20 min pilates

Friday- LSR 15.1 miles with 4 @hmp 8, 7:44, 7:41, 7:48.
    Threw in the four faster miles near the end, at one stage I was running after a hare on the road and an old fella on a tractor with no door came along and was shouting at me "Hurry up, you will catch him, good girl". I'm still laughing about him.

Threw in the four faster miles near the end, at one stage I was running after a hare on the road and an old fella on a tractor with no door came along and was shouting at me "Hurry up, you will catch him, good girl". I'm still laughing about him.

Only in Mayo :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

ha ha! Very funny.
    You're flying along Sam with those hmp miles. When's the half again? You're gonna smash it!

Ososlo wrote: »
    ha ha! Very funny.
    You're flying along Sam with those hmp miles. When's the half again? You're gonna smash it!

I'm definitely finding the increase in pace easier even when I'm not chasing hares:rolleyes: 2 more weeks to go, so 1 week of proper training left .Half looking forward to it, half dreading it.

Saturday- 7 miles easy

Sunday-Rest Day. I spent the day eating, slap up meal for a family birthday, followed by a birthday tea with far too many homemade desserts:D
    Then I finished off with 2 glasses of wine to celebrate all the fab results on here this weekend:D

42 miles for the week.

Monday- 7.2 miles steady pace @ 8.20 avg. 20 minutes Pilates.

Wednesday - 9 miles with 7 at HMP.

This was my final long session before the HM and I found it tough, it was very windy. HMP Miles were 7:43,7:32,7:32,7:30,7:38,7:30,7:38. I was struggled with the last one and had to push to maintain the pace. Anyways its done:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Very solid session SfM, that'll really stand to you. Given your training I think you'll exceed you HM expectations.

TbL

Very solid session SfM, that'll really stand to you. Given your training I think you'll exceed you HM expectations.

TbL

Thanks TBL, it could go either way, ye might be out with a flash light looking for me:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

This was my final long session before the HM and I found it tough, it was very windy. HMP Miles were 7:43,7:32,7:32,7:30,7:38,7:30,7:38. I was struggled with the last one and had to push to maintain the pace. Anyways its done:D

Great session!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

I retract my previous statement. Go with the 1:40 pacers. ;)

• Advertisement

That's a great session Sam. I think all that's standing between you and 1:40 is a little confidence. You'll nail it on the day.

Haven't completely ruled out running it myself...

Advertisement