Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stoke City v Manchester United | 3PM | Setanta Sports 1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

yomtea98 wrote: »
    Jesus maybe Liverpool will get top four but top 6? Who will finish ahead of us?

As things stand, Everton lead by five points and Spurs four. If United continue playing like this, that will only be extended.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Spurs? No chance.Everton wont keep going either

Just to clarify, I don't think Everton will finish ahead of United, I just assumed that's who he was talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Does that mean he's suddenly not 30?

Hardly past your peak then are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Just to clarify, I don't think Everton will finish ahead of United, I just assumed that's who he was talking about.

Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,195 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Never realised Stoke were so well supported here on Boards!!!

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement

ricero wrote: »
    moyes out :mad:

Please no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

B-b-b-but; I thought that having bought Mata, and with Rooney and RVP back in the squad, that United were marching onwards and upwards and were ''back''. At least that's what the media and all the United fans around here were saying. I don't understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Spurs? No chance.Everton wont keep going either

Based on what evidence exactly are United going to finish ahead of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

blueser wrote: »
    B-b-b-but; I thought that having bought Mata, and with Rooney and RVP back in the squad, that United were marching onwards and upwards and were ''backwards''. At least that's what the media and all the United fans around here were saying. I don't understand?
    fixed, hehe!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Can we loan Danny welbeck to the council or the dole que or someplace that won't involve him being involved with attempting to kick a football for man united?. useless ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

If Welbeck and Cleverley were capable of one moment of competency each, we would have won that. Wanted to cry watching them two.

B-b-b-but; I thought that having bought Mata, and with Rooney and RVP back in the squad, that United were marching onwards and upwards and were ''back''. At least that's what the media and all the United fans around here were saying. I don't understand?

Funny that but most of the Utd fans i know realise we're in trouble until central midfield is sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

We have no right to finish above anyone who is currently above us. The old United and you would think we would go on a charge. Nothing we are showing suggests we will finish higher than we are at present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Moyes just needs a few more seasons to steady the ship

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Please no
    Agreed. He has to stay. We now need ManYoo to win a couple of games otherwise, horror of horrors, they might sack him.

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    Hardly past your peak then are you?

As a striker yes. His pace will be slowing and he has a poor history when it comes to injuries.

No-one's saying he's suddenly a bad player but I don't think you're ever get to get another season out him like last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Adam > Mata

Cock?

As a striker yes. His pace will be slowing and he has a poor history when it comes to injuries.

No-one's saying he's suddenly a bad player but I don't think you're ever get to get another season out him like last season.

He's never really relied on his pace though. However having to play ahead of our midfield must be incredibly frustrating for a striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

"How unlucky is Manchester United boss David Moyes? He starts off today with two centre-backs in Jonny Evans and Phil Jones and they have both been forced off injured. Even worse, his team have been on top in this game, and they are behind."

Yes that's right, he's unlucky.

No he's a small time manager in over his head. 5.5 more years. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

JRant wrote: »
    Never realised Stoke were so well supported here on Boards!!!

Did you not notice that they were a few weeks back when they were drawing with Liverpool at HT?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Did you not notice that they were a few weeks back when they were drawing with Liverpool at HT?

Sounds like kiddies from both sides then. who does that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Moyes: "We played well in difficult conditions"

How do Manchester United fans listen to this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Paully D wrote: »

It's slowly killing me inside, bit by bit. To be fair, till the stoke opener they didn't play badly as such. There was even optimism in here which is saying a lot lately but it all went horribly downhill from there.

At least they seemed to throw the kitchen sink at stoke in the last five minutes or so which is practically a first this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Lose Evans. Rafael on, fine.
    Lose Jones, welbeck on with Fletcher on the bench. Wtf?
    Then take rvp off chasing the game. Unforgivable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Cock?

To those sensitive souls who complained: my post asked was Charlie Adam's member is bigger than Juan Mata's.

It's just like Chemical Ali all over again.

Bizzare stuff.

Hodgson used to come out with similar ramblings after Liverpool games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

kstand wrote: »
    Then take rvp off chasing the game. Unforgivable.

As evidenced by what happened vs Newcastle, you can't leave RVP on when fatigued. Moyes deserves a lot of criticism for today but not for taking him off.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Bizzare stuff.

Hodgson used to come out with similar ramblings after Liverpool games.

I've said it before but the similarities between the two, right down to their press conferences, is astounding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

How is Begovic still at Stoke?
    I think he might the best keeper in the league?
    Caught every single cross today in difficult conditions and generally didnt put a foot wrong. And when called upon pulls off a world class save in injury time.
    He's safe as houses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Nunu wrote: »
    How is Begovic still at Stoke?
    I think he might the best keeper in the league?
    Caught every single cross today in difficult conditions and generally didnt put a foot wrong. And when called upon pulls off a world class save in injury time.
    He's safe as houses.

Mancini revealed during the summer that they were going to sign him but he got the chop and the move was then called off.

He's a decent keeper but he's almost overrated now at this stage IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Why didn't United just buy Charlie Adam during the transfer window?

They could of taken all 3 points today and be sitting on 43 points now. The mind boggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

The thing I don't get about the bad weather excuses. Are Stoke impervious to bad weather?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

The thing I don't get about the bad weather excuses. Are Stoke impervious to bad weather?

Not impervious, no. They're used to it.

It's like asking are Eskimos impervious to the cold. They're used to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

No, it used to be that because the ball rarely touched the ground for Stoke, it was maintained that weather and poor conditions did not affect them as much as teams who play the ball on the deck. They are now however a team wo do primarily use the ball on the ground, only resorting to long balls on the odd occasion and relying on moving the ball quickly through several phases of play and moving it up and down the pitch, moving the opposition around to create space for themselves or their forward players. However that means nothing when people say things like "What will they be like on a wet Wednesday night in Stoke"

Stoke really have come along a lot under MH and I think that even though results have not borne it out so far this season, they will be comfortable come the run in and I see them next season doing well.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Stoke is only about 50 miles from Manchester, hardly a different climate zone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

It is horrible there though when windy and rain blows right across the pitch because of how high up it is and not having any corners on the ground. On a wet and windy day i can think of fewer grounds I would like to be at as a supporter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Danger781 wrote: »
    Not impervious, no. They're used to it.

It's like asking are Eskimos impervious to the cold. They're used to it.

Maybe the fact that I live in the US where distances between big cities are normally hundreds of miles has skewed my perception of far.

But 33 miles is hardly fúcking Eskimo territory. Ridiculous comment and comparison. Also last time I was in Alaska them mother fúckers was wearing more layers than my tropical ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Maybe the fact that I live in the US where distances between big cities are normally hundreds of miles has skewed my perception of far.

But 33 miles is hardly fúcking Eskimo territory. Ridiculous comment and comparison. Also last time I was in Alaska them mother fúckers was wearing more layers than my tropical ass.

Not saying it was an appropriate analogy, but my point stands.

Stoke players have adapted to the conditions there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

5starpool wrote: »
    Stoke is only about 50 miles from Manchester, hardly a different climate zone.

If you asked moyesy I bet he'd tell you old Trafford is a lot frostier than stoke at the moment!

• Advertisement

Not saying it was an appropriate analogy, but my point stands.

Jesus, united fans really are clutching at straws!

Its a shame ye don't have the grey jerseys to blame!

Jesus, united fans really are clutching at straws!

Its a shame ye don't have the grey jerseys to blame!
    You have to be reasonable. It's not fair asking Manyoo to play in bad weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

If Dynamo Kiev or Spartak Moscow ever join the league then fair enough, but it was Stoke....****ing Stoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Conditions.

At.

Stoke.

You have to be reasonable. It's not fair asking Manyoo to play in bad weather.

I heard they had to be put straight into a hyperbaric chamber after the match!

I heard they had to be put straight into a hyperbaric chamber after the match!
    I heard they were all rushed to hospitals in the Stoke area suffering from frostbite and hypothermia. Shocking really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,984 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

People getting a bit carried away by a defeat away at Stoke. This season against the top sides Stokes results have been.....

Stoke 0-0 Man City
    Stoke 3-2 Chelsea
    Stoke 1-1 Everton
    Stoke 3-5 Liverpool

and to round out the top ten...

Stoke 1-1 Southampton
    Stoke 2-1 Aston Villa

So thats 2 wins, 3 draws and 1 loss at home to current top ten opponents before yesterday's game.

I can understand people being annoyed by United's overall form given what they did last season but when you take into account the injuries and other factors like players who just look finished then its not such a huge surprise. I still think they are going to get very close to fourth spot but its going to be tough. As much as I don't think Moyes was a great choice I don't think he is that bad either. I think he will do well enough given a bit of time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

If Liverpool win today - 4th place will be gone!!
    9 points + a half point for GD Is too much I think to make up for ManU.

eagle eye wrote: »
    People getting a bit carried away by a defeat away at Stoke. This season against the top sides Stokes results have been.....

Stoke 0-0 Man City
    Stoke 3-2 Chelsea
    Stoke 1-1 Everton
    Stoke 3-5 Liverpool

and to round out the top ten...

Stoke 1-1 Southampton
    Stoke 2-1 Aston Villa

So thats 2 wins, 3 draws and 1 loss at home to current top ten opponents before yesterday's game.

I can understand people being annoyed by United's overall form given what they did last season but when you take into account the injuries and other factors like players who just look finished then its not such a huge surprise. I still think they are going to get very close to fourth spot but its going to be tough. As much as I don't think Moyes was a great choice I don't think he is that bad either. I think he will do well enough given a bit of time.
    Not at all; I'm delighted with it!

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Anyone that mentions the weather as a mitigating factor for a professional football team losing a game needs to give their head a wobble.

• Advertisement
Advertisement