Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a powerline home network, any tips?

Options
  • 01-02-2014 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭

Here's the planned setup I want for my house:

- Hallway: Wifi router connected to phone line (still on ADSL, can't get better yet!)
    - Living room: TV with HDR1000S pvr
    - Upstairs front room: Windows PC (currently connected to router via wifi)
    - Upstairs back room: Xbox360 (currently connected to router via wifi bridge)

I want to connect these all up together so that:
    - All can access the Wifi router in the hallway
    - The HDR1000S and Xbox360 can access films/music off the PC
    - Connection is faster/more reliable than just using Wifi dongles on HDR1000S/PC/Xbox

Someone suggested that a TP Link might work (http://www.richersounds.com/product/...i-tl-pa210kit), but can I connect 3 devices together like this?

Are there any downsides to using the "pass-through" versions? I don't want to take over a whole socket.
    Additionally, could I plug the router into the pass-through? I only have the one plug in the hallway.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Pass through is important if you plan on connecting anything to that same socket that may potentially inject RF noise into the power network such as anything with a switching power supply especially laptop power bricks.

You can connect multiple homeplug devices if you want. There are limits depending on type, but 3 or 4 is no problem. Additionally there are versions that a) have more than one Ethernet socket on them, thus removing the need for adding a switch and b) that add wireless functionality thus spreading the wireless signal to hard to reach places.

BTW whilst the manufacturer you linked to is OK, there are better ones out there. A German make, Devolo is a good one, and also a rather obscure UK one called Solwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Thanks.

The version that has 2 or more ethernet sockets on it would be handy for the living room alright as I might want to connect other TV-related devices to the network. Do you have a link to a pass-through version with dual ethernet sockets? I can't seem to find one with pass-through.

Is the powerline network locked down to just those devices connected via a powerline adaptor, or could I feasibly connect to the PC from any wifi-enabled devices that had access to the private network?

EDIT: Actually this might be what I'm looking for: http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/?categoryid=1658&model=TL-PA4020PKIT

Yes those would be OK. devolo also have them ...

http://www.devolo.com/en/Products/dLAN-Powerline-adapters-The-simple-home-network

All wired ethernet, powerline and wifi connected devices all are on the same network (layer 2) so everything is accessible from everything else.

One last question, do I need to get my home wiring checked to see if it's compatible? I had the fusebox upgraded to the latest standards earlier in the year so it might be fine.

The house wiring was done back in 1980.

It'll be OK as long as all sockets are on the same consumer unit (fusebox).

You should be aware that the real-life performance on powerline networks often falls short of what the manufacturers tell you, just like WiFi as the technology is similar. Quality of wiring, any other RF noise on the wiring, distance can all affect performance, but the only way of finding out is to buy them and try it I'm afraid.

One more thing, plug them directly into the wall sockets, don't plug them into extension leads, especially ones with surge suppression.

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    One more thing, plug them directly into the wall sockets, don't plug them into extension leads, especially ones with surge suppression.

yep that's the main reason I really need pass-through on all of 'em.

They're not cheap, but at least I don't need to run wires through the house!

btw I'm assuming I can plug the router into the powerline adaptor? I only have the one plug in the hallway.

mrcheez wrote: »
    btw I'm assuming I can plug the router into the powerline adaptor? I only have the one plug in the hallway.
    No problem.

Alun wrote: »
    It'll be OK as long as all sockets are on the same consumer unit (fusebox).

I asked my electrician about this and whether my wiring would be suitable and he responded saying:

"Depending on the loads you will be using you may need to extend the capacity of the fuse board as your consumer unit is tight enough at the moment"

so not sure if there are heavy loads using the TP Link powerline? Is heavy noise on the line the worst thing that could happen?

mrcheez wrote: »
    I asked my electrician about this and whether my wiring would be suitable and he responded saying:

"Depending on the loads you will be using you may need to extend the capacity of the fuse board as your consumer unit is tight enough at the moment"

so not sure if there are heavy loads using the TP Link powerline? Is heavy noise on the line the worst thing that could happen?
    I'm not sure he even knows what Powerline networking is based on that reply to be honest. It imposes NO extra load whatsoever, and won't require any extra capacity on your CU.

The only problems occur when you try to use it in larger buildings where the supply in some areas is split across multiple circuits or phases. If it's a normal domestic situation with one CU, you'll not have such problems.

Regarding noise, there are those who consider Powerline / Homeplugs to be the work of the devil, especially amateur radio enthusiasts as they claim it interferes with their shortwave radio reception. See http://www.ban-plt.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 4 felixthecat12

Looking for a bit of advice please - I want to try out a Sonos Play 1 speaker in my home and it needs an ethernet connection, would I be better off connecting it to my router using powerline adaptors or using the Sonos Bridge? Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement