Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Former Spain coach Luis Aragones dies aged 75

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

An excellent manager and finally turned Spain into a proper national team. Before that you had players from different regions or "nations" not competing as one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

RIP, reading Graham Hunters book about spain, Aragones comes across as quite a character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

A great coach that finally removed Spain's tag as perennial underachievers. I actually feel the Spain of Euro 08 played a better brand of football than the team that won the world cup in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Very sad to hear the news this morning, the repercussions of his work as Spanish coach are still being felt. He took a team or nearly rans, he made big decisions (omitting Raul being vital) and he won the pivotal first title, uniting a group of players and fans under a single banner. Winning the first trophy was huge, to remove that tag of perennial underachievers, but to do it in such unique style cemented their place at the top of world football and in the history books and ensured that this was a group that would change the face of football.

RIP Luis Aragones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

RIP ya big racist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

RIP ya great, great manager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

RIP

The "Racism" he showed with Reyes is very similar to the "racism" I get from my black friend when he calls me a cream cracker.
    A bit of banter where he forgot that a hoard of journalists were around him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

cathalio11 wrote: »
    RIP

The "Racism" he showed with Reyes is very similar to the "racism" I get from my black friend when he calls me a cream cracker.

Putting "Racism" in brackets like that is part of the problem. It's only fake plastic racism right?

You mean a bit of racism when a hoard of journalists were around him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

cathalio11 wrote: »
    RIP

Banter? It was pure racism that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Guess I asked for a bitter reply with my lazy post. My fault.

Aragones wasn't a racist man. A few black people came out in his support claiming he was a great man and really helped them and respected them.

But in the heat of the moment, he made a racist comment that was latched on by the media. That can't be denied.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

The man literally transformed the national team. He had players and fans alike get together behind a style of football that was picking up momentum. His achievements literally paved the way for what Del Bosque has achieved. RIP, an absolute legend of football!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Harvey Low Fat Milk

Read this great piece on him by Sid Lowe - Guardian link.

Advertisement