Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sick fish

Options
  • 01-02-2014 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

can anyone suggest what could be up with my red cap Oranda. He is tucked in by filter as if he was dead he has no energy to swim and when he does he is wobbly and looks outa sorts, his fins are raggy looking and flat when he eats he vomits fopod out instantly. Can anyone help him or is he doomed??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

What size tank is he in? Is he fed flakes or pellets/sticks? Fancy goldfish are prone to swim bladder infection if they gulp too much oxygen. Would explain why he's stuck to the filter.

I would try treat him with a bacterial infection treatment - eSHa 2000 covers most bacterial problems and is brilliantly good, I've used it, exit for freshwater ich and oodinex for saltwater ich.

An air pump with air stone will do him wonders, goldfish are very demanding on small tanks and normally need an air stone to keep oxygen levels up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 carag

thank you,Jenny at moment I am treating him for swim bladder yesterday was first treatment. I have an air stone on only turning it off at night he and 4 others + pleco are in a 125L tank all others are fine. i will get eSHa 2000 when shops re open tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Are his fins torn up or do they look like they are rotting?

If they are all torn up then you could be looking at bullying, I have had this problem before with Angels.

If they are rotting, it could have fin rot.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

5 Orandas in an 125l tank are going to have problems. Goldfish really need much larger tanks than they're usually given (or than Pet Shops advise). The ragged fins could well suggest that one or more of the other fish are attacking him.

One of the first things to do for swim bladder is to stop feeding the fish for a couple of days, then cook and shell a couple of garden peas and feed your fish with mushed up pea (it acts as a laxative for goldfish and helps clear their digestive tracts out).

A water change is always a good idea when you've sick fish too.

Good luck but from my own experience of goldfish, I'm afraid I wouldn't hold out much hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jinjodesign

Just wondering what the update was on the sick oranda. Ours is not in top form either over the past couple of days and just want to know if the eSHa 2000 worked for your little guy?

Thanks

Jen

• Advertisement
Advertisement