Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Under/Over-rated matches

• 01-02-2014 4:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭

Since we have a best match of all time I thought i'd throw this up.

Under-rated:

Warrior vs Savage WM7: Best match Warrior ever had imo

Piper vs Bret WM8: Best match Piper ever had, put Bret on the map as the real deal.

Bret vs Owen WM10: The greatest curtain jerker of all time and one of the first matches I ever saw as a kid.

Bret vs 1-2-3 Kid RAW 1994: One of the best matches Raw has ever had imo.

HBK vs Mankind Mind Games 1996: Great match during HBKs first run with the belt.

DDP vs Savage Great American Bash 1997: One of the best matches of 1997 imo.

DDP vs Goldberg Halloween Havoc 1998

Hardyz vs E&C Ladder Match No Mercy 1999: This gets lost in history and overlooked due to the TLC matches but this match was incredible.

Kurt Angle vs Chris Benoit WM17: Wrestling clinic, brilliant match.

Kurt Angle vs Stone Cold Summerslam 2001: Very intense match, best one of their feud imo.

Jeff Hardy vs the Undertaker Ladder Match Raw 2002: Climb the ladder kid! Make yourself famous!

Brock Lesnar vs Kurt Angle 60 Min Iron Man Match Smackdown 2003: Greatest SD match of all time and arguably the greatest TV match WWE has ever had.

Mick Foley vs Randy Orton Backlash 2004: Proved Orton was the real deal. He took some insane bumps.

Shelton Benjamin vs HBK RAW 2005: Dat superkick.

Daniel Bryan vs Dolph Ziggler Bragging Rights 2010

Over-rated:

Andre vs Hogan WM3: Yes it had the body slam but **** all else.

Bret vs HBK WM12: Going to sudden death and all was cool but the crowd heat for this entire match was non-existent and it really hurt the match.

Undertaker vs Stone Cold Summerslam 1998 : Dead crowd, botches, you name it.

Rock vs Hogan WM18: Watch it with the sound muted? Still think it's good?

Rock vs Cena: Both of them. They aren't rated by smarks obviously, but casual fans and WWE themselves seem to rate them as epic classics.

HHH vs the Undertaker WM28: 27 was WAYYYY better. The Cell was just kind of there and served no purpose.

Undertaker vs CM Punk WM29: It's not bad by any means but people saying it was the best match of 2013 are out of their minds.

Tons more but i'll save them for someone else to post :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Over:
    Punk vs Cena at MITB.
    Atmos was unreal but the match was sloppy at times.
    Under:
    Joe vs Angle at Lockdown. Joe's last great match.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

Both michaels taker wrestlemania matches are inferior to michaels angle mania 21. Op mentioned ziggler Bryan bragging rights. I tried watching it recently but had to stop due to commentary. Michael cole says Bryan matches put him to sleep and king amd striker cwll vickie fat. It's pretty unbareable.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭duuuaaaane

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Bret vs HBK WM12: Going to sudden death and all was cool but the crowd heat for this entire match was non-existent and it really hurt the match.

Rock vs Hogan WM18: Watch it with the sound muted? Still think it's good?

Hell of a contradiction in opinions there.

If you are going to criticise a match for a lack of fan reaction you can't simply ignore it in another.

The fan reaction in the Hogan/Rock match was a testament and a (key-word) reaction to fantastic psychology and story-telling of the match.

It may not of been a technical wrestling match that would have purists cheering and I assume that is the sole reason why you are citing it over-rated but it had a lot more actual wrestling than the No Mercy 1999 Ladder Match which you must ignore if you're judging matches on a certain checklist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I agree that the HBK BRET match is hugely over rated. Anyone tried rewatching it? It's a very boring match.

That said, it bored me on first view as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

gimmick wrote: »
    I agree that the HBK BRET match is hugely over rated. Anyone tried rewatching it? It's a very boring match.

I rewatched it years ago and it nearly bored me to death, any time they show highlights of it they make it seem like a tense back and forth match, it's only like that in the last few minutes the rest is really dull and the crowd is asleep for most of it.

• Advertisement

The only highlight was Hbk superkicking the timekeeper & his entrance. Its a poor match by their standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

4/10 match tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

uwwedoogie wrote: »

If you are going to criticise a match for a lack of fan reaction you can't simply ignore it in another.

The fan reaction in the Hogan/Rock match was a testament and a (key-word) reaction to fantastic psychology and story-telling of the match.

It may not of been a technical wrestling match that would have purists cheering and I assume that is the sole reason why you are citing it over-rated but it had a lot more actual wrestling than the No Mercy 1999 Ladder Match which you must ignore if you're judging matches on a certain checklist.

On the Hogan/Rock match, did Hogan not go into business for himself that night?

On the Hogan/Rock match, did Hogan not go into business for himself that night?

He certainly did. Which is why Austin didn't wrestle him. The crowd that night were amazing though it was like a football match in Naples or that. Crowd were into it crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

uwwedoogie wrote: »

It's not a contradiction at all. A dead crowd can make or break a match just as a hot crowd can make a match. It shouldn't ignore the fact that the actual in-ring action between Hogan and Rock was below average at best.

That match is ALL about the crowd. That doesn't make it the classic match some people consider it to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭duuuaaaane

GTR63 wrote: »
    He certainly did. Which is why Austin didn't wrestle him. The crowd that night were amazing though it was like a football match in Naples or that. Crowd were into it crazy

That is all wrong. Austin didn't wrestle him because Austin wasn't chosen - Austin wanted Hogan and the fact that he didn't get to wrestle Hogan was the start of what caused Austin to walk out 2 months later. He felt he Austin/Hogan would of been a bigger draw than Austin/Rock - and although he rated Scott Hall he felt he was a bigger asset than in that role.

Also, if going into business for himself is letting The Rock kick out of his finisher and ultimately putting him over then I'm sure most people wish their opponents would go into business for themselves more often.

The post match angle that focused on Hogan was to establish Hogan as the babyface to replace The Rock on the card in the following months as The Rock was leaving WWE less than a month later as they did not anticipate the reaction of the crowd due to establishing Hogan as the bad guy in the weeks prior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

I just watched that match Moneymaker mentioned in the OP as it didn't ring a bell, HBK v Shelton Benjamin on RAW 2005, great match, some great counters, reversals, selling and false finishes. And like he said, dat super kick!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-FBBolZN-w

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

The Austin v Taker match at SummerSlam 98 really suffers from being face against face but it probably would have been better if Austin hadn't been concussed at the beginning.

The only highlight was Hbk superkicking the timekeeper & his entrance. Its a poor match by their standards.

Even though on the Bret/Shawn dvd Bret calls it one of his best matches, it's not even close.

krudler wrote: »
    Even though on the Bret/Shawn dvd Bret calls it one of his best matches, it's not even close.

Dunno if it was his book or another interview but he seemed to be down on it before. Funny how his opinion changes with a WWE camera running in front of him.

Dunno if it was his book or another interview but he seemed to be down on it before. Funny how his opinion changes with a WWE camera running in front of him.

That rivalries dvd really seemed to make him do a 180 on a lot of stuff. Shawn telling him to get out of the ring after the iron man match was planned apparently, not according to the book where he whinged about it.

Bret is one of those wrestlers who took themselves wayyy too seriously. And it's hilarious when he complains about wrestlers doing the same few moves over and over when he did the exact same thing.

Advertisement