Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to use Google+ Login Android?

Options
  • 01-02-2014 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭

I need a Login/Registration service for my Android application.
    I don't know whether to use my own Login (Through PHP/SQL verification) or Google+ Login (which may save me the hassle?).

The requirements for my application are:
    User can Register their name, email and password. Can login with email and pw.
    They can stay logged in after first time use with the app.
    I want to be able to use their details to put in my own database.
    This is for making dummy data to be manipulated as I desire. E.g. A User can Top up their Account balance and I can assign customers with a balance after verification.

So is Google+ the answer here or I should make my own?

Excuse the vagueness of it all, please ask for more details on the app if you want.

All I want is login and register users, and to be able to use their information in my own database, along with my other tables..etc

Also Google+ makes sense to me as people who use Android devices must have a Google account anyway so it's not any hassle to setup a Google+ account for this app?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭b.gud

Implementing your own registration system will be a HUGE effort, at least if you want to do it properly and consider the privacy of your users, after all your gonna have their email address and a password (quite possibly their email password) stored in your db. So you'd have to think about what is the best, and most secure, encryption method for you to use, ( you don't want what happened to Adobe to happen to you?). Then you have to implement it, which certainly won't be trivial.

So I suppose you could say I'd be in favour of letting someone like Google handle registration details for you. It might also be worth thinking about offering alternatives such as Twitter and Facebook to login that way a user wouldn't have to set up a G+ account if they didn't already have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

b.gud wrote: »
    Implementing your own registration system will be a HUGE effort, at least if you want to do it properly and consider the privacy of your users, after all your gonna have their email address and a password (quite possibly their email password) stored in your db. So you'd have to think about what is the best, and most secure, encryption method for you to use, ( you don't want what happened to Adobe to happen to you?). Then you have to implement it, which certainly won't be trivial.

So I suppose you could say I'd be in favour of letting someone like Google handle registration details for you. It might also be worth thinking about offering alternatives such as Twitter and Facebook to login that way a user wouldn't have to set up a G+ account if they didn't already have.
    As long as you want to dismiss usability concerns and completely ignore commercial considerations, then by all means go for a G+ login.

From what I can see the pros of using the G+ login API are:
    • Less development resources required to integrate the API, rather than building your own.
    • Decreased liability as security is not your legal responsibility (which incidentally isn't strictly speaking true).
    The pros of not using the G+ login API, on the other hand, are:
    • Full control of the code base; you don't have to be worried about the API being
    • Streamlined registration; registering for your system can be almost completely transparent - just pick a username and password. Not so straightforward for Google+ and that's a usability issue that can result in unhappy, uninstalling users.
    • Full control of the data; you get to keep the data you collect and use it as you will (subject to data protection laws in your jurisdiction).
    • Platform neutral; Google+ is all very well if you're developing for Android, but what about a (future) version of your app on iOS? WindowsPhone?
    Of course, none of this is reason for you not to use the G+ API, but the concerns brought up by the previous user were basically only techie concerns, and those are only part of the overall picture. Consider all the angles, then decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭shanefitz360

b.gud wrote: »

Please don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭b.gud

Of course, none of this is reason for you not to use the G+ API, but the concerns brought up by the previous user were basically only techie concerns, and those are only part of the overall picture. Consider all the angles, then decide.

Yes I was only speaking from a technical standpoint, there are as always many other aspects to consider when you are making the choice.

Advertisement