Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving in the office which your boss will appreciate

Options
  • 01-02-2014 7:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7

What I noticed is that managers and administrators in small and medium companies are very used to theirs suppliers (getting friendly with them). And it is not easy to convince them that they can switch and save I know because I was one of them. It was easy to ring Marry and ask for our usual. But lately I notice that there is more and more offers coming from different office suppliers such as <SNIP> or <SNIP> I decided I will give it a go. I have ordered exact same products (different makes but same parameters) and I compared invoice against what I would normally pay. Well I was shocked; I saved over €150 on what I consider a small order. I will stick to them for sure. Another good example is this, I was asked to find a transport to move safe from one office to the other and as you can probably know it is not an easy task. I hate wasting money,so I decided I am going to do a great research before I decided which company I will go with. By coincident I found this crowd <SNIP> where I put my delivery up for auction for. I got seven different quotes straight to my mailbox, I saved over 60%. Easily done.
    Next, are mobile phone bills! By making an appointment with few providers and going through your needs as a customer, they will do their best to meet your expectations and cut some of your current expenses, some great deals available for the companies right now.
    Another great way to save is to go “chequeless”. Small businesses in Ireland love theirs cheques even thou there is no a one reason to use them. You have to pay for your cheque book, then you pay postage on sending your cheque and then you have to pay for processing the cheque in the bank. Using electronic banking can save you loads. Not only you won’t be paying for cheque and postage but also you will save loads of time on your bookkeeping. Some of the banks offer free business account for first two years and no transaction fee, definitely worth trying.
    Last but not least! Go green, save paper, DO NOT PRINT EVRY SINGLE PAGE YOU HAVE ON YOUR PC! Nowadays you will find plenty companies who offer great solutions for small and medium companies for data storage. It is cheap, easy and save. Hope those few tips will help you save few bob.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

maggiebb wrote: »
    What I noticed is that managers and administrators in small and medium companies are very used to theirs suppliers (getting friendly with them). And it is not easy to convince them that they can switch and save I know because I was one of them. It was easy to ring Marry and ask for our usual. But lately I notice that there is more and more offers coming from different office suppliers such as <SNIP> or <SNIP>] I decided I will give it a go. I have ordered exact same products (different makes but same parameters) and I compared invoice against what I would normally pay. Well I was shocked; I saved over €150 on what I consider a small order. I will stick to them for sure. Another good example is this, I was asked to find a transport to move safe from one office to the other and as you can probably know it is not an easy task. I hate wasting money,so I decided I am going to do a great research before I decided which company I will go with. By coincident I found this crowd <SNIP> where I put my delivery up for auction for. I got seven different quotes straight to my mailbox, I saved over 60%. Easily done.
    Next, are mobile phone bills! By making an appointment with few providers and going through your needs as a customer, they will do their best to meet your expectations and cut some of your current expenses, some great deals available for the companies right now.
    Another great way to save is to go “chequeless”. Small businesses in Ireland love theirs cheques even thou there is no a one reason to use them. You have to pay for your cheque book, then you pay postage on sending your cheque and then you have to pay for processing the cheque in the bank. Using electronic banking can save you loads. Not only you won’t be paying for cheque and postage but also you will save loads of time on your bookkeeping. Some of the banks offer free business account for first two years and no transaction fee, definitely worth trying.
    Last but not least! Go green, save paper, DO NOT PRINT EVRY SINGLE PAGE YOU HAVE ON YOUR PC! Nowadays you will find plenty companies who offer great solutions for small and medium companies for data storage. It is cheap, easy and save. Hope those few tips will help you save few bob.

Excellent post Maggie...if we had more like you working in the PS/CS we'd laughing. I'm impressed with your challenging thinking to what is probably standard office practice.

If you were working for me ..you'd have certainly caught my attention. Make sure you promote your wins!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

perhaps I am just too old, cranky and cynical!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 maggiebb

When I read the post, my first thoughts were that it was another "shill" post, I remain unsure! If it is genuine, I can only conclude that it is just naive and misplaced! It is directed at employees while the forum is for people who are in business already or are seeking to start their own business. It is the stuff of someone who has discovered the commercial aspects of the web for the first time and is so excited by this that they feel the need to share it.

Or perhaps I am just too old, cranky and cynical!!
    Well, the post is directed to small and medium companies who are looking for effective way to manage their offices. With the amount of overspending going around I fought that would be great to share my experience. This is only an example and I’m sure there is hundredths more effective ways. People who are about to start their own business are very often on the budget and they keep their spending low, but what about existing companies, who are actually doing ok, can they afford overspending? The answer is no, this is business so you always should look for minimizing your cost and maximizing your income.
    ps. Never too old to have your own opinion

Peter Im sure we can all agree that change is ever present within any business and environment. But the thing a lot of people miss is that change is a continuum. It had no start, no middle and no end..its only when the effects are perceptible that we act on it..by which time the organisation is probably out of fit with the external environment. The problem for senior management teams is that due to their roles that require them to mange technical, interpersonal and conceptual functions..they miss the subtle signs for the need to change.

Management teams should be encouraging frontline staff to challenge and question the status quo of any function...especially as the organisation grows larger and before they are burdened down by bureaucracy.

it is not my place to criticise other posts , sometimes I just revert to type! Bit like management, I see wrong, I do something about it. But hey, 3 url promo links from a new poster to this forum was like chocolate cake to a starving man!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

It's probably purely coincidental that a similar 'money saving' sales pitch bit of friendly advice for ways to save money moving house was snipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Trust your first instinct. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Atomico

Mr E wrote: »

And the data. Six posts and now banned :)

Can spot shill posts from about 500 paces :)

Mr E wrote: »

Aahh, Exalted Administrator of the 5 Golden stars, would that it were safe to do so. Mostly it only earns me clips, snips and slaps, redolent of the Christian Brothers when I was at School in the 1950s/60s, but without the physical admonishments! The mono-directional communication conduit, of course, remains the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Chevy RV

Voltex wrote: »
    Peter Im sure we can all agree that change is ever present within any business and environment. But the thing a lot of people miss is that change is a continuum. It had no start, no middle and no end..its only when the effects are perceptible that we act on it..by which time the organisation is probably out of fit with the external environment. The problem for senior management teams is that due to their roles that require them to mange technical, interpersonal and conceptual functions..they miss the subtle signs for the need to change.

Management teams should be encouraging frontline staff to challenge and question the status quo of any function...especially as the organisation grows larger and before they are burdened down by bureaucracy.

I agree totally..... very well put.

Regards,

Chevy RV

• Advertisement

just a pity the original post was just a beard for a shill! and that it was also trite and condescending in the extreme... rather a Hallmark Greeting Card moment!

just a pity the original post was just a beard for a shill! and that it was also trite and condescending in the extreme... rather a Hallmark Greeting Card moment!

Whats a shill post?

Voltex wrote: »
    Whats a shill post?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shill

Advertisement