Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young Civil Defence

Options
  • 01-02-2014 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

What is the minimum age for joining the civil defense and is there a youth section?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tripp

You must be over 17 years of age and no there is no "youth section"

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭19hz

sligolad1 wrote: »
    What is the minimum age for joining the civil defense and is there a youth section?

It was always 16, to the best of my knowledge it hasn't changed yet.
    I believe it's currently under review, the consensus is to raise it to 18.
    That's probably another year or two away.

Youth section, nope. I think St. Johns have a youth section.
    Tripp wrote: »
    You must be over 17 years of age and no there is no "youth section"

When did it change to 17? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

19hz wrote: »
    When did it change to 17? :confused:
    It hasn't.Not at national level anyway. Some units might change the entry requirements themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tripp

My mistake. Always thought it was 17 or older

flazio wrote: »
    Some units might change the entry requirements themselves.

This is what holds CD back..the amount of inconsistency from unit to unit is spectacular. Almost like a different service altogether in some places.
    :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

I believe they are planning to change the minimum entry age to 18, because its more hassle than its worth to have under 18's around due to the legal responsibilities involved. I'd expect the change to be slow, but in the next couple years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Xios wrote: »
    I believe they are planning to change the minimum entry age to 18, because its more hassle than its worth to have under 18's around due to the legal responsibilities involved. I'd expect the change to be slow, but in the next couple years.

I was told by an officer in the Dublin Civ that they don't take under 18s just last week.

redout wrote: »
    I was told by an officer in the Dublin Civ that they don't take under 18s just last week.

I've seen/heard of units introducing their own local policy.
    Mar shampla; the national age for driving the jeeps and vans is 18 afaik but some units up this age to 21 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Minimum age for Civil Defence in 16, I believe Sligo adhere to this, but require parental consent. There is an active Order of Malta unit in Sligo with a cadet section, they take people between 10 and 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭deltamerc

Minimum age of joining Civil Defence nationally is now 18 year's of age.
    Directive issued by Civil Defence College

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 bilirubin

deltamerc wrote: »
    Minimum age of joining Civil Defence nationally is now 18 year's of age.Directive issued by Civil Defence College
    Minimum age change will apply from 1st September 2014.

Advertisement