Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting in the Drogheda area

Options
  • 01-02-2014 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

May be renting an apartment in the Drogheda area soon, it will just be myself renting but I would want something spacious enough in a "decent" area (I don't mean posh just not an area with antisocial problems) so I'm thinking one with two bedrooms or one bedroom with two living areas/separate kitchen, you get the idea. I've lived in a tiny sweatbox in Dublin and can't do that again. My money should go further in Drogheda though. I've looked at a couple of sites and it's hard to get an idea of what price I would be looking at for this type of thing and if the rents they have advertised are landlords chancing their arm or are open to negotiation. I would hope to spend 600 or so on rent but can stretch that a little if needs be.

Can anyone here help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I think it depends on the area really.
    I rent in Grangerath (3k south of the town) and I pay 700 a month - but I think that's probably the most.

In general I'd say you're looking between 600 and 700 for a 2 bedroom apartment. 500-600 for a 1 bedroom I'd reckon

daft.ie could be a good starting-searching point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Why don't you have a look at what's available on daft, post up the areas you can afford, and then we can advise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Why don't you have a look at what's available on daft, post up the areas you can afford, and then we can advise?

Thank you, I don't drive so I'd like to be in or near the town. I've looked at daft and these seem to be along the line of what I'm looking for but they have been advertised for a while now and 3 of them are in the same complex so I'm wondering what the craic is with that, is the demand just low or are the areas crap, rent too high for the area etc

These look nice, they are in Priory hall just across from scotch hall beside the girls primary school I think (well it used to be a school years ago anyway, dunno if they have moved)

2 double rooms, 1 bath a nice kitchen, decent living space and high ceilings, 600 a month
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1409443

Another in the same complex but with one of the bedrooms a single (no pics) and its 550

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1402098

This is similar to first but seems to have a much smaller kitchen area

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1400166

This as the last one which caught my eye, I dunno what the area is like and its a ground floor apartment which makes me wary, decor and furnishings are superior to the others though

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1414996#img=1

What do you think of the value of those and the area they are in?

I wouldn't know these buildings. I remember when I was looking for an apartment almost 2 1/2 years ago, an agent told me to avoid Priory Hall (and Kernon House) as not good options.

Had a look at daft.ie, doesn't look like there is much property for rent at the moment.

If you are looking close to town center, I know there are apartments for rent above Scotch Hall, I can't find any relevant website.
    Also keep an eye on this site
    http://www.fitzcourt.com/rent-drogheda-apartments.php
    They are in the town center, although I reckon they will be a bit more expensive (usually 600 for 1 bed, 700 for 2 bed)

Another option would be Bryanstown, just a 15 minute walk from town center.
    In any case, you'll definitely book apointments to view the apartments. Photos are misleading most of the time.

Good luck, by the way. Hope you find what you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

My friend lived in Priory hall and loved it. Only reason he left was because he broke up with his OH. Then again he wouldn't be the fussiest fella regarding where he laid his head... :D

Priory Hall would be fairly central for bus/railway stations and town. I'd definitely go and view the place, and maybe knock your potential neighbours door and ask their opinion.

But as said above, avoid kermon house. Rough as sandpaper, place even looks like a concentration camp.

• Advertisement

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I wouldn't know these buildings. I remember when I was looking for an apartment almost 2 1/2 years ago, an agent told me to avoid Priory Hall (and Kernon House) as not good options.

Had a look at daft.ie, doesn't look like there is much property for rent at the moment.

If you are looking close to town center, I know there are apartments for rent above Scotch Hall, I can't find any relevant website.
    Also keep an eye on this site
    http://www.fitzcourt.com/rent-drogheda-apartments.php
    They are in the town center, although I reckon they will be a bit more expensive (usually 600 for 1 bed, 700 for 2 bed)

Another option would be Bryanstown, just a 15 minute walk from town center.
    In any case, you'll definitely book apointments to view the apartments. Photos are misleading most of the time.

Good luck, by the way. Hope you find what you're looking for.
    Thanks for that, yeah there is very little which is why I came on here, with so few listings its hard to know what the market value actually is.

Did he give any reasons why Priory Hall was no good?

I will keep an eye on that website thanks, (those apartments look fantastic!) I don't mind spending a bit more, I cheaped out in Dublin and regretted being stuck in that sweatbox with paper thin walls nearly every day of the lease.

I've had a couple of job interviews in Drogheda and I'm just waiting to hear back from them, if I get the job I'll be moving so we'll see how things go :)

My friend lived in Priory hall and loved it. Only reason he left was because he broke up with his OH. Then again he wouldn't be the fussiest fella regarding where he laid his head... :D

Priory Hall would be fairly central for bus/railway stations and town. I'd definitely go and view the place, and maybe knock your potential neighbours door and ask their opinion.

But as said above, avoid kermon house. Rough as sandpaper, place even looks like a concentration camp.

Priory hall location would be perfect for me really. I'll have to sort some viewings but I'll wait until I hear back about the interviews I had, went very well but there were lots of other people interviewed too

I'm not overly fussy either, just want something spacious and somewhat quiet - i.e not hearing loud and clear every bowel movement or romantic engagement your neighbours have lol! Thats a good idea about asking the neighbours about what it's like, I'll do that for sure

Thanks to yourself and others for the advice, you're very kind.

Given the small amount of properties to let I may have to cast my net further afield but it seems my price range is ok

Did he give any reasons why Priory Hall was no good?

He didn't go into too much detail, just that the building wasn't in very good shape. Just his opinion anyway. I didn't get to see apartments there at all as my work is 3k south of the city, so wasn't looking into town center - it was just a plan b in case I couldn't find anything closer to my work.

It's a bit surprising that there are so few properties for rent. At times the listing could go on for many pages. It might be a temporary thing, so keep an eye at the site, in case new properties are listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 BBOC

Hello Tramps like Us,

I'm almost sure I know who was renting the 2 bed apartment in Priory Hall, in your first link, judging from the photos on there. Just so you know it was cold and very hard to heat, (high ceilings, old building). Spacious apartment but the storage heaters failed to work and they were supplied with two plug in heaters which still didn't heat the apartment and just consumed more money, plus it was on the dark side which meant that lights had to be left on most of the time. No harm to view it though and judge for yourself.

Good luck with your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

May be renting an apartment in the Drogheda area soon, it will just be myself renting but I would want something spacious enough in a "decent" area (I don't mean posh just not an area with antisocial problems) so I'm thinking one with two bedrooms or one bedroom with two living areas/separate kitchen, you get the idea. I've lived in a tiny sweatbox in Dublin and can't do that again. My money should go further in Drogheda though. I've looked at a couple of sites and it's hard to get an idea of what price I would be looking at for this type of thing and if the rents they have advertised are landlords chancing their arm or are open to negotiation. I would hope to spend 600 or so on rent but can stretch that a little if needs be.

Can anyone here help?
    my advice to you would be,
    rent a room in a house and get to know the area, that way you are not signing yourself down for a period of time in some place you may regret, but if you go there and live in a house with others for a while and look at the local ads that are in a lot of the shops, alot of shops have a board on some wall with for sale items, and rent outs, that way you will be able to see it at a moments notice.
    most places have storage heaters which can be hard on the pockets, your best bet is look out for a place with south facing windows that let the sun in most of the day, which helps heat the place, also the place would be brighter also,
    ask about the insulation, mode of heating, look at things like cooker, fridge, and such like, as the new products sold in past few yrs are more likely A ratings and easier on pocket, electric showers are a good thing, because if you have to put on a switch in hotpress to have a shower, sometimes you can forget to switch it off, which is tough if you forget for hours that it is on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ciarashauna

Fitzwilliam Court prices have gone up by about €50 this year I think, but more than likely would be negotiable. (That's if any pop up!) Bills are fairly cheap here, €27 a month for one bedroom heating & hot water. Your bins and parking are included in the price aswell.

Fitzwilliam Court prices have gone up by about €50 this year I think, but more than likely would be negotiable. (That's if any pop up!) Bills are fairly cheap here, €27 a month for one bedroom heating & hot water. Your bins and parking are included in the price aswell.
    So what price is that? (if you don't mind me asking). It looks very nice, but what is the sound insulation like between the apartments?

I might be waiting a while for one to become available by the looks of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ciarashauna

So what price is that? (if you don't mind me asking). It looks very nice, but what is the sound insulation like between the apartments?

I might be waiting a while for one to become available by the looks of it!

€750/€725 for 2 bed & probably €650/€625 for 1 bed, ours is staying at €600 when we renew lease.
    Sound insulation isn't too bad, as far as I can tell apartments are built kitchen to bedroom next door (if that makes sense?). We hear more noise from the people above us, but not too often.

Advertisement