Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPDATED FOR 2015- IEC FAQ Thread - please read here first and ask any questions here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ColmBr

Has anyone applied for the Garda clearance yet by printing off a webpage to say that it is required for IEC and highlighting it? If so, what what page did you print off? I am struggling to find a page on the on the cic.gc.ca site that is definitive in saying that police clearance is required. All I can find is not very definite statement which says "you may be asked to provide a Police Clearance Certificate".

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭WhatYaSay

ColmBr wrote: »
    Has anyone applied for the Garda clearance yet by printing off a webpage to say that it is required for IEC and highlighting it? If so, what what page did you print off? I am struggling to find a page on the on the cic.gc.ca site that is definitive in saying that police clearance is required. All I can find is not very definite statement which says "you may be asked to provide a Police Clearance Certificate".

I applied for the police cert by following the instructions on this page http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=2742&Lang=1 and enclosed a printout of that page. On my letter I stated that I needed the police certificate for the purposes of applying for a Canadian visa. I said this to the garda when handing it in to the station as well. Received the police cert on Friday and it states on it that it is only for the use of Canadian consular authorities on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭GerPower

ColmBr wrote: »

Follow what the it says on the Garda Website and layout your letter they way they ask you too but it doesn't do any harm to add in the actual Canadian Police Request form i have the link here for you.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/pdf/PC_LetterA_e.pdf

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3 n!amhypoo

I just went into the Garda station and asked for a police clearance form, and mentioned that I'd need it for a WHV application. I gave them the following:

a list of all my Irish addresses (including my current)
    my place of birth
    name (full) as on my birth cert
    proof of current address (an ESB bill addressed to me)
    a copy of the photo page of my passport
    a stamped addressed envelope which they can use to send the form back to you.

They sent it back to me in less than a week, fair play to them. You get back a cert that just lists the above and states that whether or not you've ever been convicted of a crime here.

Apparently some Gardai ask for proof that you need it, and in that case you can use the form that GerPower posted above. Most of them will know what the drill is if you need clearance for a visa application.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭lalala85

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before but I'm just a little confused. I have my cv in IEC format prepared and the photo page of my passport scanned. I thought hose two docs were the only docs required to apply for a CAL once a Kompass account is set up. Do I also need a copy of my birth very scanned and the Garda clearance form?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Hi, could someone please link me the page which shows how the cv format looks like, can't find it, thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭GerPower

lalala85 wrote: »
    Hi, sorry if this has been asked before but I'm just a little confused. I have my cv in IEC format prepared and the photo page of my passport scanned. I thought hose two docs were the only docs required to apply for a CAL once a Kompass account is set up. Do I also need a copy of my birth very scanned and the Garda clearance form?

No you are good to go all you need for the first round is a copy of your Passport and CV. The Birth Cert and Garda Clearance form is for the next round which you will have to upload the same documents again i.e Passport and CV. My advice is to edit any scanned documents and compress them so they are in KB not MB form as that will save you loads of time when you upload. The same goes for your CV convert it into PDF form too, that shrinks the size.

When the program opens you will be asked to upload the documents and you will be against the clock as these visas go within minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ColmBr

GerPower wrote: »
    Follow what the it says on the Garda Website and layout your letter they way they ask you too but it doesn't do any harm to add in the actual Canadian Police Request form i have the link here for you.

Good luck

I used a form that was given to me in the Garda station to request the cert instead of using the letter.

Thanks a million for that link to the request form. Used that as the reasoning as to why I need the certificate. The garda form I filled out was almost identical to it.

I was told it should come around 10 days so should have plenty of time to spare before I actually need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

tonydude wrote: »
    Hi, could someone please link me the page which shows how the cv format looks like, can't find it, thank you

This also please

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

This also please

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/IEC.asp

See appendix A bottomof this pg for format

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 johnf1004

I am on exchange in the US at the moment. So two questions:

How will it affect my application, the fact that I'm not applying 'from' Ireland? and will getting garda clearance sent over here be a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Kagey15

Hi There,

I just have two questions that somebody may be able to clarify for me, if so, I would be greatly appreciative (",)

1. My G/f is a Polish national living in Ireland for the last 6 years - when applying for the IEC programme. Does she have to apply through the Polish programme or can she go through the Irish one?

2. I have a drink driving conviction from July 2007 - will this affect my chances of applying?

Thanks a lot - great thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Kagey15 wrote: »
    Hi There,

I just have two questions that somebody may be able to clarify for me, if so, I would be greatly appreciative (",)

1. My G/f is a Polish national living in Ireland for the last 6 years - when applying for the IEC programme. Does she have to apply through the Polish programme or can she go through the Irish one?

2. I have a drink driving conviction from July 2007 - will this affect my chances of applying?

Thanks a lot - great thread :)

1. She applies to the Irish or Polish programme depending on the passport she holds.

2. Yes you will need to apply for rehabilitation.
    http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/rehabil.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Kagey15

Hey thanks circular ...do you know if I have to apply for that pre application for iec or can I do it retrospectively once I have applied ??

Kagey15 wrote: »
    Hey thanks circular ...do you know if I have to apply for that pre application for iec or can I do it retrospectively once I have applied ??

I would think you need to do it before you apply. It can take over a year for the process to be completed according to this page

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/inadmissibility/conviction.asp

So mid-Feb has come and gone now. Hope they update the page soon with a new date. I believe it was March last year when it launched

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭SupraSonic_26

So mid-Feb has come and gone now. Hope they update the page soon with a new date. I believe it was March last year when it launched

ya it was the end of march last year when i got to do mine its the exact same situation as last year just got hold tight till the update the site.

ya it was the end of march last year when i got to do mine its the exact same situation as last year just got hold tight till the update the site.

I notice they took down the note about no earlier than mid-Feb last night Irish time, but no new notice or date mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Adventure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Joekers

Adventure wrote: »

It still doesn't say when though ?

• Advertisement

Adventure wrote: »

thats to get your kompass account created and ready im presuming should hear something in the next few days to when it will be open to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Joekers

thats to get your kompass account created and ready im presuming should hear something in the next few days to when it will be open to apply.

Still can't open the Kompass a/c yet though can we ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Yeah, still can't actually make a kompass account??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭AG918

Does anyone know the format required for CV's used in applications? The link in the original post isn't working and I can't find anything on http://www.cic.gc.ca/iec-eic/ ?

Joekers wrote: »
    Still can't open the Kompass a/c yet though can we ?

I just checked there ya your right 2015 still isnt open to create a kompass account, that link is misleading and wrong to me sounds like there saying its ready to create a kompass account but its not ready so dunno why they posted that in the news feed on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 annick

Anyone know an easier way to check if kompass accounts are open, other that going to IEC and selecting your country/type of visa and checking the status there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

AG918 wrote: »
    Does anyone know the format required for CV's used in applications? The link in the original post isn't working and I can't find anything on http://www.cic.gc.ca/iec-eic/ ?

It's in the application guide: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/IEC.asp
    I just checked there ya your right 2015 still isnt open to create a kompass account, that link is misleading and wrong to me sounds like there saying its ready to create a kompass account but its not ready so dunno why they posted that in the news feed on the website.

They don't open all the countries at the same time. Croatia's ones have already been released.
    annick wrote: »
    Anyone know an easier way to check if kompass accounts are open, other that going to IEC and selecting your country/type of visa and checking the status there?

Bookmark it.
    http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/index.asp?country=ie&cat=wh
    (Change the last two letters in the URL to 'yp' or 'coop' for the other catagories)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 newuser998

With regards to health insurance. I'm a student, and I plan on going to Canada for summer (3 months) and then returning home in September to resume university. Do I need to have 2 years worth of health insurance? If so, that would be such a waste of money. Can I get 3/4 months-enough to cover my stay? Will I be refused a visa if I show up with only 3/4 months of cover?

newuser998 wrote: »
    With regards to health insurance. I'm a student, and I plan on going to Canada for summer (3 months) and then returning home in September to resume university. Do I need to have 2 years worth of health insurance? If so, that would be such a waste of money. Can I get 3/4 months-enough to cover my stay? Will I be refused a visa if I show up with only 3/4 months of cover?

In regards to health insurance, if you show up at the border with only 3/4 months insurance, you risk only getting the visa for that length of time.

Also, IEC is one-time only. You will not be allowed to apply for it a second time. Seems like a bit of a waste for just a summer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 newuser998

In regards to health insurance, if you show up at the border with only 3/4 months insurance, you risk only getting the visa for that length of time.

And if the visa were to be granted for only 4 months, would the other 20 months be unavailable in future?
    Also, IEC is one-time only. You will not be allowed to apply for it a second time. Seems like a bit of a waste for just a summer.

I know. And I've balanced it up: I'd rather use the visa now when I have the opportunity and desire to go, if even for only 3 months, than leave it for some future time when I may not wish to go.

Advertisement