Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPDATED FOR 2015- IEC FAQ Thread - please read here first and ask any questions here!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

newuser998 wrote: »
    And if the visa were to be granted for only 4 months, would the other 20 months be unavailable in future?

Correct, the letter is valid for one use only.

I know. And I've balanced it up: I'd rather use the visa now when I have the opportunity and desire to go, if even for only 3 months, than leave it for some future time when I may not wish to go.

Fair enough. It's just that the non-IEC routes for working in Canada are getting stricter and if you have any inkling that you might like to work in Canada after college, then the IEC is the easiest way, by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

Young professional and international co op open on Thursday. Exact time will be announced tomorrow.

No date has been announced yet for the working holiday category.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 my_walls

So does that mean, as a working holiday applicant, we can create our Kompass account on Thursday, and have everything uploaded and ready to go for when the working holiday category actually opens, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭lalala85

Can someone please send me the link where it says that it is opening on Thursday?

Thanks a mil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

On the IEC website --> http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/index.asp

Select Ireland and the YP or Co-op catagory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 littlemover

my_walls wrote: »
    So does that mean, as a working holiday applicant, we can create our Kompass account on Thursday, and have everything uploaded and ready to go for when the working holiday category actually opens, yeah?

Great idea!! Will it work though??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

The Young Professionals category will open to Irish citizens on March 5, 2015, at 10:00 Eastern Standard Time (15:00 Dublin time).
    The International Co-op (Internship) category will open to Irish citizens on March 5, 2015, at 10:00 Eastern Standard Time (15:00 Dublin time).

No update on Working Holiday yet

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Adventure

Anyone else applying for YP category??

I am currently working in IT and I am planning on going to Canada on a Working Holiday Visa later this year.

Is there any restrictions on job categories which I can work on this particular visa?
    As I would like to get a job in IT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Joekers

See when we are opening our Kompass it asks for our Date of birth (yyyy-mm-dd) (as shown in passport) but our irish passports go dd-mm-yyyy so what way do I input my dob ? any help much appreciated

For example lets say the date of birth on mine is 01 ME/JUN 1989

• Advertisement

I assume it means enter the date of birth that your passport says, but in the format they request i.e. yyyy-mm-dd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17 meka

Great idea!! Will it work though??

Yes. Just did it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 annick

Am I right in saying that you can't upload you documents for working holiday until the category opens? I filled out the forms in each section of kompass except for the category because it wont let me choose working holiday yet, and maybe its due to this that I cant access the document upload section? thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17 meka

annick wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that you can't upload you documents for working holiday until the category opens? I filled out the forms in each section of kompass except for the category because it wont let me choose working holiday yet, and maybe its due to this that I cant access the document upload section? thanks.

Yes, you're correct. You have to wait until the WHV category is open.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭newg300

Hi all, I'm just filling out Kompass account now For questions such as your address and "other names", do I have to repeat the answers with each asterisks? IE Do I need to repeat my current address three times, or does clicking "same as mainling address" cover this?

If I understand the first page of this correctly, we get our WTN before we have to upload our passport and CV? Does how quickly we get our WTN determine whether or not we have a place in the quota, or do we not have a place until after we upload passport/CV/pay the fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭guest124

my_walls wrote: »
    If I understand the first page of this correctly, we get our WTN before we have to upload our passport and CV? Does how quickly we get our WTN determine whether or not we have a place in the quota, or do we not have a place until after we upload passport/CV/pay the fee?

Once you submit you get a WTN, it you get a WTN in the first round you know you got a place in the quota. However if it is the last round your WTN must be under the allocated visa amount to be guaranteed a place in qouta. ie; if quota 7000 then your wtn must finish with 7000 or under. Otherwise you are on the waiting list.

Once you get place in qouta you will receive an email (usually within 24 hours after submitting application/getting wtn) which will prompt you to upload resume, passport scan, and make payment. You have a week to do this, I think.

I am currently working in IT and I am planning on going to Canada on a Working Holiday Visa later this year.

Is there any restrictions on job categories which I can work on this particular visa?
    As I would like to get a job in IT.

Can work anywhere! Just not the sex industry :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Is anybody else using a camera phone picture of passport?

Or is everybody scanning????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ROREO93

Is anybody else using a camera phone picture of passport?

Or is everybody scanning????

There's an app that "turns your phone into a scanner," it's called CamScanner. That's how I scan most of my documents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Det. John Kimble

So to confirm ... I can create my kompass account now and give my personal details but I can't upload my documents until the working visa section actually opens which will be very very soon? Is it a possibility it will be open over the weekend? I'm worried because I don't get paid til Tuesday so I won't have the funds til then 😳 🙈

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Does everybody need garda clearance?

And is that one of the forms that's needed within the 10 days?

How does it work, do the guards stamp a form there and then or does everybody have to send off a form?

If so, surely that would take more than 10 days...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

Just curious if I go to Canada this Summer on a WHV, am I able to return next Summer on the same visa if I want to, as it's valid for 2 years? Or is it only valid as long as you're there continuously?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭GerPower

Does everybody need garda clearance?

And is that one of the forms that's needed within the 10 days?

How does it work, do the guards stamp a form there and then or does everybody have to send off a form?

If so, surely that would take more than 10 days...

The Garda Cert is needed at stage two and everyone needs one, your birth cert, copy of your CV and your passport again is also needed for stage two. It should only take a few days depending on the station mine was done within two days.

Good luck.......

Conchir wrote: »
    Just curious if I go to Canada this Summer on a WHV, am I able to return next Summer on the same visa if I want to, as it's valid for 2 years? Or is it only valid as long as you're there continuously?

Yeah you can its valid for two years so you can come and go as you like but one thing to remember is the travel insurance that is needed some only cover you for trips home for a certain length of time and other providers allow you to come home more often but they charge more.

From what i hear you will need two year travel insurance as this is a two year visa so pick your provider wisely some say VHI is best and others go with the go4less travel insurance its up to you which suits your needs best.

So to confirm ... I can create my kompass account now and give my personal details but I can't upload my documents until the working visa section actually opens which will be very very soon? Is it a possibility it will be open over the weekend? I'm worried because I don't get paid til Tuesday so I won't have the funds til then 😳 🙈

What ever the date given that that date it opens and its usually on a Tuesday i think last years was around 8 or 9 pm and it will close when all the visas are taken and that can be short as five to ten minutes. Then if you are successful you will get a message in your kompass account a day or two later with your WHV Number and so many days to pay the fee.

Piece of advice have your passport copy compressed down various programs will do this for yeah and convert your CV to PDF again it compresses the size down so it will take less time to upload. Good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 12 sconn69

Going back to the Police Checks, how long are they valid for? I'm thinking now is the time to apply if not done already seeing as the opening is just around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Det. John Kimble

sconn69 wrote: »
    Going back to the Police Checks, how long are they valid for? I'm thinking now is the time to apply if not done already seeing as the opening is just around the corner.

Just applied for my police cert Friday!
    Hopefully I'll get it back swiftly. I think there valid for 6 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭lalala85

Does anyone know when the WHV class will open? Thank you

Advertisement