Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPDATED FOR 2015- IEC FAQ Thread - please read here first and ask any questions here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ali3000

My letter just says Dear (blank), and the date, UCI and application number are all blank too. My bf got his yesterday too and his is the same. Surely this can't be right? There's nothing to say the letter is for me. Anyone else the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Seanh111

Completed My CIC application on June 17th, received my POE on June 25th eek.png

Was expecting a long wait so not quiet sure how I received it so soon! confused.png

Ali3000 wrote: »
    My letter just says Dear (blank), and the date, UCI and application number are all blank too. My bf got his yesterday too and his is the same. Surely this can't be right? There's nothing to say the letter is for me. Anyone else the same?

Mine has my name, UCI, application number and address filled in. Maybe its the type of PDF viewer you're using? I usually save to my desktop first and open from there maybe that will help? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭fontdor

Just a small question do they work on Saturdays as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭WhatYaSay

I got my POE today! But something has come up and it looks like I won't be going now but will be going next year.. a year passed the deadline if being able to use it.. What does this mean if I reapply next year and cancel this one?? will it effect me applying next year again or should I be okay? Any help would be appreciated.
    As far as I'm aware, once you are granted a POE, that is your one chance to get the WHV. You could have cancelled your application up to the issue of the POE and reapplied next year, but now that it has been issued you have one year to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 clopow

the_syco wrote: »
    AFAIK, you pop over to Canada with your CAD$2,500 and when you give the letter to the person in the Canadian airport, your visa gets activated.

Awesome, thank you! Better start saving now, didn't think I'd actually get a visa when they were like gold dust last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 whiteramekin

are there any options at all to extend the stay beyond the two years or is it a definite in-out, no debate sort of thing

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 173 ✭✭stevie1122

are there any options at all to extend the stay beyond the two years or is it a definite in-out, no debate sort of thing

You need to get sponsored to stay not sure what the exact details are but you need a permanent job preferably one that involves some sort of a qualification (but I do know of people who got to stay just working in bars and stuff like that). I think then for every day you work you get a certain amount points towards your residency and eventually you can get permanent residency but it takes and years and of course if you get into any sort legal trouble over there you haven't a chance of becoming a resident.

I hope to stay for good myself couldn't face the thought of coming back to this country for anything other than a holiday to see family and friends.

But as for extending the working holiday stay you only get two years max that's it.
    WhatYaSay wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware, once you are granted a POE, that is your one chance to get the WHV. You could have cancelled your application up to the issue of the POE and reapplied next year, but now that it has been issued you have one year to use it.

Yeah you only get one chance once you go by the stage where you paid the 150cad or whatever is and get accepted if you don't use the visa that's it you can never use or apply for again. Maybe it might change in the future but I doubt it since Canada seems to be the new "go to" spot now for people.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 173 ✭✭stevie1122

Edit double post

• Registered Users Posts: 39 whiteramekin

ah, yeah i was thinking it'd be something like that. at least there is a slim hope i can butter my employer up and promise to wash their car every day for a decade if they sponsor me

i already did the 12 month visa ten years ago, sorely tempted to go back for at least another two years. nothing else going on here and I fell in love with Canada while i was there. if I don't get into college next year I'm pretty sure I'll be applying for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

stevie1122 wrote: »
    You need to get sponsored to stay not sure what the exact details are but you need a permanent job preferably one that involves some sort of a qualification (but I do know of people who got to stay just working in bars and stuff like that). I think then for every day you work you get a certain amount points towards your residency and eventually you can get permanent residency but it takes and years and of course if you get into any sort legal trouble over there you haven't a chance of becoming a resident.

That's completely wrong information. You don't get points for every day you spend working in Canada and it doesn't take "years and years" to get PR.

There is a points based system and it is possible get points for Canadian work experience but in no way it is necessary to even have Canadian work experience to get PR.

This is the calculator they use to work out the points

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/express-entry/grid-crs.asp

Broadly speaking there are three ways to get PR (short of being in a relationship with a Canadian citizen)

- Federal Skilled Worker (have qualifications and work experience in a highly skilled job)
    - Canadian Experience Class (have one or more years work experience in Canada in a high skilled job)
    - Provincial Nomination Program (where the province nominates you for PR)

If you qualify for any of these streams under Express Entry then you could get PR in under 6 months.

• Advertisement

Just received my POE. Applied through MyCic on the 5th Of May. Thank you all in this thread for all the help you have given me throughout the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 KingKongQuinn

So I applied for my visa on the 18th of May but had to upload a letter of explanation for the police certificate as the proper cert hadn't arrived at that time and my CAL was going to expire! The application was submitted and received but to date I haven't heard anything else with regards to the progress of the application nor have they requested the proper police cert yet!
    Is there anyone else in a similar position? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 FionFitz

Hi. applied 3rd May,second round,I'm around 4700...did anyone of second round got their POE yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 daz279

FionFitz wrote: »
    Hi. applied 3rd May,second round,I'm around 4700...did anyone of second round got their POE yet?

I applied the 6th of may and I was in the First round and i still haven't heard anything yet. Hopefully it will be this week want to start booking flights soon

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Noelle100

Just wondering were is everyone getting there insurance ? .... Is any other girls heading to Toronto late July time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭WhatYaSay

FionFitz wrote: »

Just got my POE, I got a space in the second quota the day it opened, but didn't submit my documents until the last day must've been around 25th May, think my wtn was in the 4400's. Thanks to everyone on here and whoever set up this thread for all the info. And best of luck with it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭GerPower

Noelle100 wrote: »
    Just wondering were is everyone getting there insurance ? .... Is any other girls heading to Toronto late July time ?

I went with go4less ticks all the boxes but it's just to get you through the immigration gate and it will be checked at security so don't chance it and not get any. Another note bring lots of money with you here to Canada it's crazy expensive and if you can sort work before you arrive as the job search is just as tough.

Hi can anyone tell me what information should be in your POF ?
    Mine has a barcode...
    Type:permit-WP/
    Permit validity - date

Is everyone else's like this ?

Noelle100 wrote: »
    Hi can anyone tell me what information should be in your POF ?
    Mine has a barcode...
    Type:permit-WP/
    Permit validity - date

Is everyone else's like this ?

It should say dear (your name) your application for work or study in canada has been approved. It should also state your UCI on the top left hand side if I am not mistaken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭enoughalready

Hi all,

Great supportive service you all supply. Very helpful...quick question. I plan to travel to Canada in January 2016. So 6 months away. I have registered for a Kompass account but didn't finalise it just yet as only sent away for my police cert today. My question is should my police cert still be valid in 6 months time???

Also I plan to work in social services / health care - where do I go for an independent doctor's medical?

Any light on the above is greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 daz279

got my POE today. I submitted everythin on the 6th of may. Thanks everyone on this for all the info and best of luck to everyone goin to Canada and those of you still waiting good luck hope everyone gets theres

• Registered Users Posts: 3 petetheme86

Got my POE over a week ago & I'm planning on moving to Calgary in January coming.
    ✈️❤️🇨🇦
    Has anyone had any experience with heading to Canada around this time? I'm just wondering when is a good time to book flights, does flights tend to increase the closer you get to January, as I'd imagine it might be a busy month will people flying back to Canada after spending Xmas with their families.

Any information would be greatful appreciated please, thank you. ðŸ

fontdor wrote: »
    It should say dear (your name) your application for work or study in canada has been approved. It should also state your UCI on the top left hand side if I am not mistaken.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DsJewel

I just went to finish my iec application,to submit the payment, and I realised that my name's were somehow reversed on my application. It says to message them if there's any minor issues like names being reversed so I'm hoping it will be ok but the thing is I've to finish the application and submit payment by July 5th,this Sunday. I'm actually going away that day so I really only have until Saturday .Has anyone ever had to messgw them before about an issue and know how Kong they take to get back?
    Thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sully0182

Got my POE this evening, be patient everyone, I was waiting 8 weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 aisdoyle

To anyone who went to Canada before receiving their POE....
    How are you guys activating your visa? I am currently in Halifax and have been told I have to cross the U.S. boarder and re-enter Canada to activate my visa. Has anyone else done this??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

aisdoyle wrote: »
    To anyone who went to Canada before receiving their POE....
    How are you guys activating your visa? I am currently in Halifax and have been told I have to cross the U.S. boarder and re-enter Canada to activate my visa. Has anyone else done this??

Your visa can only be activated at a POE, so you either need to get to the border and flagpole or you can book an international return flight and activate it on the way back.

There is a CIC office somewhere that will activate the visa but it take many weeks to get an appointment and I'm not even sure where the office is.

DsJewel wrote: »
    I just went to finish my iec application,to submit the payment, and I realised that my name's were somehow reversed on my application. It says to message them if there's any minor issues like names being reversed so I'm hoping it will be ok but the thing is I've to finish the application and submit payment by July 5th,this Sunday. I'm actually going away that day so I really only have until Saturday .Has anyone ever had to messgw them before about an issue and know how Kong they take to get back?
    Thanks !

I had the exact same issue, I messaged through Kompass and they fixed it and sent my CAL with the correct name. (They never notified me of the change either, just went ahead and did it for me)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DsJewel

I had the exact same issue, I messaged through Kompass and they fixed it and sent my CAL with the correct name. (They never notified me of the change either, just went ahead and did it for me)

Oh thanks, I'll keep an eye on it so. I'll pay the fee sure and hope it comes with my name the right way round !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 ucd6

Hi

I received an email on June 30th for additional information with regards to a police certificate from the UK. I immediately uploaded this on July 1st.

However I received another email today stating that my application for a work permit has been refused due to absence of a police certificate from the UK. I don't understand how they would of reviewed it this quick or they have missed the police certificate????

Please can anyone help me out?? What should I do now??

Advertisement