Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPDATED FOR 2015- IEC FAQ Thread - please read here first and ask any questions here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ucd6

Should I apply to round 2 as my acceptance letter is out of date? Or should I send a case specific enquiry??

• Registered Users Posts: 4 GalGirl2015

Hi Just wondering if anyone on this is going teaching when they go over there? I'm a post primary teacher and I'm thinking at some stage in the 2 years of going teaching so there's not a gap in my cv when I come home. Does anyone know of anyone over there and what the situation is? Also I've seen a few articles that there's a down turn over there! Are jobs getting scarcer? I'm heading over with my boyfriend in August!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Ubiquitous Synergy Seeker

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you can't teach on the IEC visa.

My wife knows a few teachers here in the Toronto area and there are very few jobs - there are plenty of them further north though, but I'm not sure you're qualified to teach here or not since your qualifications aren't from their own internal system which is very different (and awful)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 alx_irl

Hi,

Thank you for all helpful information on this forum,

However I have some questions I couldn’t find answers.

1.My CAL will expire soon but I am still waiting for a Police Cert from an EU country.
    I uploaded the explanation letter, but my question is: should I wait until I will get the additional Police Cert, and submit later(while the CAL will be expired already) or submit the application now(while CAL not yet expired) without additional Police Cert(I have uploaded just Police Cert from Ireland) and I will be asked later after submitting for the missing additional EU Police Cert?

2. Form IMM1295 says to complete 10 years of work experience. However I need another additional page to write all 10 years. None of the applications (pdfmerge for ex.) could merge IMM1295 pdf file(not validated or validated) with another pdf file. How can I do that? Where do I upload the additional page? I also tried to print/sign the form then scan all pages then merged with the additional page. However when trying to upload the merged file, got an error that cannot upload scanned document.

3. Also could I ask what should I choose in IMM5707 for the question if my spouse will accompany in Canada. Our plan is to come together but we are not sure if this will happen, or my spouse will come to Canada later. Will answer "yes", be a bigger issue if not coming together rather than answer "no" if then we will have the same flight? (she visiting as a tourist)

Asked these on CIC website, but reply was that I may expect an answer if:
    * you have submitted an application;
    * your application has exceeded normal processing times;
    * you wish to report important changes or an emergency situation;
    * you wish to report a technical issue with Citizenship and Immigration online services.

Thank you in advance, sorry for long post.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 littlemover

So when is everybody heading over??!
    Making the move to Toronto in September on my own.. getting kinda nervous now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭mkdon

So when is everybody heading over??!
    Making the move to Toronto in September on my own.. getting kinda nervous now!

Hey im planning on heading around then too

Can u pm ur email adress?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭tradhead

I don't believe it.

I missed the date to upload my resume, it was yesterday :eek:

What happens now? It says that my application will be rejected, but can I apply again? I'm so mad with myself :(

Should I withdraw my application and start a new one? Or is that possible?

Please, if anyone has any idea let me know as I am freaking out!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭GerPower

Hi Just wondering if anyone on this is going teaching when they go over there? I'm a post primary teacher and I'm thinking at some stage in the 2 years of going teaching so there's not a gap in my cv when I come home. Does anyone know of anyone over there and what the situation is? Also I've seen a few articles that there's a down turn over there! Are jobs getting scarcer? I'm heading over with my boyfriend in August!

I'm over at the minute and there sure seems to be a downturn of sorts the media talk about Canada heading for recession as the dollar is weakening against the US dollar and now the Euro once again. Jobs are not easy to come by and some tell you to check back in September when you ask. Its an expensive place for everything clothes, food, drinks and even the bare essentials and thats with a weaker dollar against the euro. At this stage i dont know if i will have the financial resources to continue here, but time will tell. Good luck with everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 LusciousOis

What is there left to do after you get your POE? Please say its just booking the flights?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

What is there left to do after you get your POE? Please say its just booking the flights?

Yup.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DsJewel

Got my CAL letter a few days ago. I had to message them beforehand as I noticed my name was reversed on my account but on my CAL letter my name is now in the right order but they've doubled my surname, Give me strength.So my name is on the right order but my surname is there twice. Does anyone know if I would message via Kompass again to sort this,or go via CIC since that's who I'll be applying for stage 2 of the process with. I dint know how they're after gettimy my name wrong twice, especially when I uploaded a copy of my passport which obviously has my name on it properly

• Registered Users Posts: 2 alx_irl

Hi,

I received the POE today,

Just wanted to ask, it says in the letter "Your application to study or work has been approved".
    I thought IEC application is for work and holiday, not study, is that correct?
    Also in the bottom of letter says "Type: Permit - WP" and the validity date, but nothing about 2 years. Is that how this letter should be?

Thanks

alx_irl wrote: »
    Hi,

I received the POE today,

Just wanted to ask, it says in the letter "Your application to study or work has been approved".
    I thought IEC application is for work and holiday, not study, is that correct?
    Also in the bottom of letter says "Type: Permit - WP" and the validity date, but nothing about 2 years. Is that how this letter should be?

Thanks

All correct as far as I know. The work permit is issued on arrival, the POE letter just informs the immigration officer that you've been approved and all is in order. Make sure to check the date when you're given your work permit, however, and be 100% that it's for 2 years from your arrival

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Freckles1991

I was granted my iec working holiday visa and received my letter of introduction but I didn't contain any of my information on it. The uci number, application number, document number, permit validity date nor my name was on it. I am just wondering is that letter valid. I don't want to book flights or make plans until I am sure I have the right documents.

Has anybody had to get a police cert from another country? If so- did you upload the original document?

I can't find my original and I'm afraid I won't have time to get a new one so I was wondering if anyone uploaded a copy without any issues??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 GalGirl2015

Just wondering my boyfriend is waiting on his visa I received mine after 8 weeks he's going on 9 weeks now and he had a police cert with a minor conviction on it is anyone else in this situation?

tradhead wrote: »
    Has anybody had to get a police cert from another country? If so- did you upload the original document?

I can't find my original and I'm afraid I won't have time to get a new one so I was wondering if anyone uploaded a copy without any issues??:confused:

A digital version is, by definition, a copy anyway, so you should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭newg300

Just wanted to ask again as I didn't see an answer last time: is it OK to only book a one-way flight into Canada as long as you have proof of funds to buy another ticket if needs be?

newg300 wrote: »
    Just wanted to ask again as I didn't see an answer last time: is it OK to only book a one-way flight into Canada as long as you have proof of funds to buy another ticket if needs be?

Exactly, a one way flight and proof of funds is all you need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 clopow

ucd6 wrote: »
    Hi

I received an email on June 30th for additional information with regards to a police certificate from the UK. I immediately uploaded this on July 1st.

However I received another email today stating that my application for a work permit has been refused due to absence of a police certificate from the UK. I don't understand how they would of reviewed it this quick or they have missed the police certificate????

Please can anyone help me out?? What should I do now??

I was late getting my police certs and sent in a letter saying this, but got my POE without any certs. Did you send a letter explaining the delay?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dannimcq

Ok, so i've got my POE, over $2,500 savings in the bank, and purchased Go4less insurance. I take proof of these things to the immigration section at the airport and they give me my WHV right? Is there anything else I need before I go?

If anyone has gone using the go4less insurance, how did you prove it covers all their requirements? The pdf I downloaded once I purchased it doesn't really give much information, it's more like a receipt.

Dannimcq wrote: »
    Ok, so i've got my POE, over $2,500 savings in the bank, and purchased Go4less insurance. I take proof of these things to the immigration section at the airport and they give me my WHV right? Is there anything else I need before I go?

If anyone has gone using the go4less insurance, how did you prove it covers all their requirements? The pdf I downloaded once I purchased it doesn't really give much information, it's more like a receipt.

They dont look over the policy just look and see it covers your for the two years. As for $2,500 that isn't near enough as Canada is more expensive than you can imagine even with a strong Euro. Tax is added on to the price of everything when you go to pay and some other taxes as well, good luck but if you can bring more money.

Dannimcq wrote: »
    over $2,500 savings in the bank

That'll cover your first and last month's rent (payable on renting) and pretty much nothing else - if it'll even cover that. Get yourself to a Walmart or Tim Hortons the minute you get settled and get yourself earning money ASAP. Look for a "proper" job then once you've got an income, and keep a very close eye on your funds, because it's definitely going to be very shaky for the first few months with that kind of money.

It'll be doable, but you're not going to have any cash for anything apart from rent and cheap food

That'll cover your first and last month's rent (payable on renting) and pretty much nothing else - if it'll even cover that. Get yourself to a Walmart or Tim Hortons the minute you get settled and get yourself earning money ASAP. Look for a "proper" job then once you've got an income, and keep a very close eye on your funds, because it's definitely going to be very shaky for the first few months with that kind of money.

It'll be doable, but you're not going to have any cash for anything apart from rent and cheap food

Working a max of 15 hours at Walmart or Loblaws wouldn't even cover your rent. Best bet is to seek work before you even come here as you will get a lot of i will be in touch and never hear back even when you follow up. This place is crazy expensive even more so than at home and dont expect good food quality either.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DsJewel

I'm planning on moving over next summer,all going well. I'm going more for the experience to live somewhere else for a while etc , I've mostly worked in retail here in Ireland and I actually like it, would a retail job over in Canada be enough to tide me over,cover expenses etc? Obviously I'll be saving as much as I can before I head over

Assuming you're not looking to live in downtown Toronto or Vancouver, then you should be able to get by on a full time job in retail if you've got savings. Minimum wage in Ontario is $11.25, so doing 40 hours a week would earn you $450 a week gross, or $400 after taxes (estimate). That's $1600 a month, and rent if you're not sharing is likely to be $1000-1200 (ABSOLUTE minimum), giving you not much wiggle room.

Get in somewhere you can share with the aim of paying maybe $600-800 a month and you'll be a lot better off. Look away from downtown cores - there are loads of places you can work in retail that aren't in the major cities.

Toronto itself is actually made up of a number of different cities known as the GTA (Greater Toronto Area). From west to east, within about 45 minutes on the train you've got Toronto, Scarborough, Pickering, Ajax, Whitby and Oshawa. North there's Vaughan, Markham and Newmarket. West there's Brampton, Mississauga, Oakville, Milton, Burlington and Guelph.

Just think outside the box a little and don't make the mistake of thinking that Toronto is Toronto, and that any of the many cities around it are too far out of reach

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Roseofclare

Police cert!!!

Irish Girl Here hoping to go to Canada in May 2016. I studied in Spain from sept 2010 to june 2011. It is absolutely necessary to get a police cert? If yes, then I have downloaded the 790 form to apply by post. My question is about the certification of the documents. Do I need a Notary Public/Apostille (I only learnt these existed today) to verify the authenticity of the document? Or is a signature from a police man ok? Please Help!! Every second matters....

Police cert!!!

Irish Girl Here hoping to go to Canada in May 2016. I studied in Spain from sept 2010 to june 2011. It is absolutely necessary to get a police cert? If yes, then I have downloaded the 790 form to apply by post. My question is about the certification of the documents. Do I need a Notary Public/Apostille (I only learnt these existed today) to verify the authenticity of the document? Or is a signature from a police man ok? Please Help!! Every second matters....

Yes, you need a police cert as you lived there for more than six months. If you are applying by post, you need a certified copy of your passport, which can be obtained from a solicitor (I would recommend ringing around as many as possible as they can charge up to €20 for this, but I got it from a small solicitor's in my local town for free). You need to bring the passport to your appointment as well as a copy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Roseofclare

Hey everyone,
    Has anybody needed to get a Police Cert from Spain. If so any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated.
    More specifically,
    1) The application form 790 asks for a National ID/Foreigner's ID number (NIE) and I'm not entirely sure if I got one when I was there.

2) Does the actual police cert from spain itself, if I ever get it, need to be certified before I upload it in stage 2

Advertisement