Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPDATED FOR 2015- IEC FAQ Thread - please read here first and ask any questions here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭tradhead

Hey everyone,
    Has anybody needed to get a Police Cert from Spain. If so any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated.
    More specifically,
    1) The application form 790 asks for a National ID/Foreigner's ID number (NIE) and I'm not entirely sure if I got one when I was there.

2) Does the actual police cert from spain itself, if I ever get it, need to be certified before I upload it in stage 2

Rose,

1) I didn't have a NIE number either, I put my passport number in the box provided and that was fine.

2) Not 100% sure about this myself, I would think that the cert doesn't need to be certified as it is an official govt. document but maybe somebody else can clarify this. As a side note, I applied for my cert last year and had it in about 2 weeks if I recall correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭cazador

Hey guys,

I bought my insurance for 730 days but just realised that there will be a leap year during my visa. Would this cause any hassle when getting my visa at immigration or would it not really matter?

Also im flying from Dublin to Toronto to Vancouver. This has probably been asked a lot but do i go through immigration in Toronto to get my visa or can I hold off till i land in Vancouver?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Ubiquitous Synergy Seeker

cazador wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I bought my insurance for 730 days but just realised that there will be a leap year during my visa. Would this cause any hassle when getting my visa at immigration or would it not really matter?

Also im flying from Dublin to Toronto to Vancouver. This has probably been asked a lot but do i go through immigration in Toronto to get my visa or can I hold off till i land in Vancouver?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

They're almost definitely not even going to ask if you have insurance - don't worry about it.

You HAVE to get your visa and work permit in Toronto as that's your point of entry. Make sure you've enough time between your flights

• Registered Users Posts: 1 stroan

Hi all,

Got my Letter of Introduction the other day for the working holiday VISA, and it looks like it's valid for 2 years. Everything I've read says it should only be valid for 1 year, so I'm kinda worried that the VISA lasting 2 years from the date of entering the country thing has changed.

Am I reading it all right? The letter of introduction is valid until June 2017. If I enter in 2017, can I stay there till 2019?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭GerPower

They're almost definitely not even going to ask if you have insurance - don't worry about it.

You HAVE to get your visa and work permit in Toronto as that's your point of entry. Make sure you've enough time between your flights

You are giving out false information there, i was asked for everything including funds and all documents and they asked for the Insurance first so telling someone not to bother is unhelpful as that could cost that person a visa as it states its mandatory to have it.

Just a warning to anyone thinking of coming over here as soon as possible, i would hold off for awhile as things are not great for the economy here at the minute. The dollar is weak that's good if you are exchanging your euros so more in your pocket, so exchange your euros with Currency Fair quickly if you think it will go down. Jobs are difficult to come by and places are hiring as much.

The job search can be frustrating and don't expect to find a job within a month. If you can have something lined up before you come over as things are very expensive here even with a weak dollar and everything has a tax added on to the amount you see, even restaurants and bars.

Another thing to note and an important one, you cant do an International E-wire from your online bank account here they try make you use Western Union and that can be expensive as you are charged a $20 fee and a percentage that Western Union adds on to the amount and you are restricted to $999.99 daily. You will have to walk into the bank and do an International E-Wire transfer the old fashioned way which can be an inconvenience.

Good luck people you's will be in for a few changes just take them all as they come.

• Advertisement

GerPower wrote: »
    You are giving out false information there, i was asked for everything including funds and all documents and they asked for the Insurance first so telling someone not to bother is unhelpful as that could cost that person a visa as it states its mandatory to have it.

Where did I say not to bother? I said not to worry about the leap day

you cant do an International E-wire from your online bank account here

Not sure who you're banking with or who told you that, but you absolutely can transfer money electronically from your Irish account to your Canadian one

Not sure who you're banking with or who told you that, but you absolutely can transfer money electronically from your Irish account to your Canadian one

I just noticed my mistake there sorry about that. I'm with Scotiabank you cant do an E-wire online with them i have been on to Currency Fair about this too as they have to move their Canadian Bank back to London UK.

You can yeah do an E-wire but like i said you have to walk into the Bank to do so, If you can recommend a better bank to do business with then please let others know as i wish i had this info before i picked Scotiabank.

I just noticed my mistake there sorry about that. I'm with Scotiabank you cant do an E-wire online with them i have been on to Currency Fair about this too as they have to move their Canadian Bank back to London UK.

You can yeah do an E-wire but like i said you have to walk into the Bank to do so, If you can recommend a better bank to do business with then please let others know as i wish i had this info before i picked Scotiabank.

And it not from Ireland to Canada thats the problem, its to transfer home so Canada to Ireland that this problem arises. Currency Fair use to have a Canadian Bank Account in Toronto but they had to change back to the UK some issue they had. If they still had the account in Toronto you could do an Interac exchange but that option isn't available.

I've wired money from Bank of Ireland to a Scotiabank account many times before, and from my personal AIB account to my personal TD account. You just need your Canadian account info (all the relevant info is on your cheques) and your home branch address, then you just do an international transfer as normal.

*edit*

Just see you want to go the other way. Just buy an international money order and fedex it? Probably lower charges than WU

• Advertisement

I've wired money from Bank of Ireland to a Scotiabank account many times before, and from my personal AIB account to my personal TD account. You just need your Canadian account info (all the relevant info is on your cheques) and your home branch address, then you just do an international transfer as normal

You are not reading what is written, there is no problem to transfer from Bank of Ireland or AIB to your Canadian account thats the easy part. The problem is doing and E-wire online with your Scotiabank account to your bank at home or to Currency Fair which most people use cus of its better exchange rate. Scotiabank uses Western Union and you get a ridiculous rate and fees and restrictions on the amount.

If you know a bank in Canada that allows you to do an E-wire online then please share. Its easy to send money here just a little harder to send it back home without encountering higher fees in return, I dont know if you have ever used Western Union but its a serious rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 RayJayJohnson

Hi everyone,

Sorry I'm freaking out a little bit - urgent request as I am heading off Monday week, so I really appreciate any help on this. Thanks so much.

Question 1:
    So I got my Working Holiday visa a month or two ago. I'm heading over on the 10th of August. I sent off my CV to a company in advance, got a Skype interview and amazingly, I have landed a job offer after one interview. I am concerned though that the working holiday visa is initially contingent on not having a job lined up - does this break the terms? I was issued the visa before the offer. If I am asked, will this be an issue for the immigration officers?

Question 2:
    Secondly, the company wants to fly me over to a conference in London a week after I arrive. I have yet to purchase my insurance - is there any plans that offer unlimited flights back to europe? I read in the sticky VHI did, but it offers 4 flights back home. They may want to fly me over to other conferences so I need to the option to travel a lot and I cannot seem to find the right plan for this.

Thanks so much for any help.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 173 ✭✭stevie1122

Does anybody know where the best priced place to get insurance for going is? Leaving in a couple weeks and didn't even realise I needed it until someone else mentioned it to me a few days ago.

Does anyone know how long it takes to process the visa once you arrive in Canada? I am getting a connecting flight from Toronto to Vancouver and want to be sure I have enough time to get the Visa in Toronto?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Trhiggy83

Does anyone know how long it takes to process the visa once you arrive in Canada? I am getting a connecting flight from Toronto to Vancouver and want to be sure I have enough time to get the Visa in Toronto?

Anyone know the answer to this. I have the same issue. Time between connecting flights is about an hour. How does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Trhiggy83 wrote: »
    Anyone know the answer to this. I have the same issue. Time between connecting flights is about an hour. How does it work?

An hour won't be enough time in Toronto anyway. First, you have to queue at the immigration desk with everyone else first. Then you will need to collect your bags and go to secondary immigration. Depending on how busy this is, it could take a while. Then you will need to transfer your bags to your connecting flight before going to the boarding gate.

stevie1122 wrote: »
    Does anybody know where the best priced place to get insurance for going is? Leaving in a couple weeks and didn't even realise I needed it until someone else mentioned it to me a few days ago.

Please can someone help me with this I leave in a few weeks and have rang several different places about insurance all of them are telling me they will only do a year because in order to get two years the money is crazy because it takes loads of other things into account. Where is everybody on here getting their insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Please can someone help me with this I leave in a few weeks and have rang several different places about insurance all of them are telling me they will only do a year because in order to get two years the money is crazy because it takes loads of other things into account. Where is everybody on here getting their insurance.

VHI or USIT will do 2 year insurance.

If you join the Facebook groups for IEC 2015 you'll get a lot more replies and suggestions for insurance. There's a lot more traffic on the Facebook pages than on this thread, just from what I've seen. :)

Thanks for the replies unfortunately I don't use facebook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Hey folks, just 2 questions.

- I've seen conflicting info on the signatures. Some say you don't sign the family form, others say you do. What's the story here? I mean I have a scanner so it wouldn't be too much hassle to print and sign it, but the site here ( http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=740&t=23 ) says not to, however that may just be for the work permit form?

- the work permit form, I've more jobs than are allowed on the form. It says to print out another copy of the page of the form to fill out with them, but then where do I attach that page? As the letter of explanation?

Cheers!

Cina wrote: »
    Hey folks, just 2 questions.

- I've seen conflicting info on the signatures. Some say you don't sign the family form, others say you do. What's the story here? I mean I have a scanner so it wouldn't be too much hassle to print and sign it, but the site here ( http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=740&t=23 ) says not to, however that may just be for the work permit form?

- the work permit form, I've more jobs than are allowed on the form. It says to print out another copy of the page of the form to fill out with them, but then where do I attach that page? As the letter of explanation?

Cheers!

Not 100% sure about what to do with the work permit form (although I have a notion that it is as a letter of explanation) but you definitely don't physically sign the form, you will electronically validate everything when you are submitting your application.

Thanks for the replies unfortunately I don't use facebook.

I used this and most people get it too. It ticks the box and it will get you by Immigration.

https://www.backpackertravelinsurance.ie/AMTNewPol_CalPrice.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mayoman24

I need a national police check form australia and not sure do i need a finger print check as part of it? i have no crminial record or convictions.

mayoman24 wrote: »
    I need a national police check form australia and not sure do i need a finger print check as part of it? i have no crminial record or convictions.

Hey, no you don't. I got mine for Australia you just need the standard check.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mayoman24

Whats the story with the Conditional Acceptance Letter? does this mean you have a place in the quota reserved if you get one?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Roseofclare

In the Optional Documents section of the CIC there is a Schedule 1 - Application for a Temporary Resident Visa Made Outside Canada. Do I NEED to upload this? I'm hoping to go on an working holiday visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Roseofclare

In the Optional Documents section of the CIC there is a Schedule 1 - Application for a Temporary Resident Visa Made Outside Canada. Do I NEED to upload this? or is it just for regular visitors. I'm hoping to go on an working holiday visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lionman1

Hi all,
    Hopefully a straight forward question...

I have everything sorted and am looking to make the move in early February. The thing is, I've been invited to a wedding in TO in October and want to go but don't want to activate my visa.

If I don't present any of my documents on arrival in October, can I go over for a long weekend as a regular tourist and not start the 2 year timer ticking? Or will this cause issues?

• Advertisement

I would really appreciate if someone could help me with these few questions

In regards to showing proof of funds I am leaving for Canada Sunday week so am I better off waiting until Monday or Tuesday to print off my full bank statement or can I do it this on Friday because I remember reading somewhere that it has be a maximum of a week before your travel date. I checked the CIC site and other places and I can't find a concrete answer it just says proof of funds required but doesn't go into any detail of exactly what's required. Also how far back does the bank statement have to go?

About the Currency fair I have set an account and am waiting for the verification to be checked is it just as simple as I transfer the money to currency fair before I leave Ireland then set up a Canadian bank and as soon I have that sorted out I can just transfer my money from currency fair straight into that Canadian bank a/c?

Then also whats required to set up a Canadian bank account? I researched it but each bank seems to be different. I won't be able to get any kind of a permanent address until get work and it could weeks before I get work so I don't want the money sitting in my currency fair account with me having no way of accessing it because I can't open a bank account.

Also for when I land in Canada I will have my insurance, POE and proof of funds is there anything else I need because again I checked the CIC site it states these and says "other requested documents" Again it doesn't specify what these other documents are. I wasn't asked for any documentation but I just want to make sure i'm not forgetting anything and also is a current up to date Garda Cert required along when I enter Canada? The one I used to apply for the WHV is nearly a year old at this stage.

Also someone mentioned on here that the facebook IEC groups are great for finding out this stuff I have joined facebook now but I cannot find these groups does anybody have a link?

Thanks

Advertisement