Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPDATED FOR 2015- IEC FAQ Thread - please read here first and ask any questions here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 elmerjd

Hi Guys,

I started the application for the IEC back in 2014 and didn't complete it, uploaded a few documents but then stalled and left it at that. I was worried that I had progressed too far and received a POE letter. I don't have any old emails so I couldn't confirm and the old account is closed.

However I checked my bank account and saw that I have a refund of 150 CAD less than 8 months after I applied firstly so that would mean the application wasn't completed? I checked the CIC site and it says refunds are not given out if you got a POE and the fact I got it 8 months later when the POE is valid for one year should mean I'm in the clear?

Pretty sure I'm answering my own question here and I should be fine to reapply?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dpatton96

Hey

I'm just wondering about the process time for the work visa once you have submitted your details and paid for the application.
    I know it says 8 weeks on the website but I know of people who have gotten theirs processed 1/2/3 weeks after paying.

Hoping to head over from Dublin at the start of June but don't want to book flights until I get the letter of entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Nymeria

@ dpatton96 - Just to let you know that I submitted all my documents on 29th April and paid the fee, and got confirmation and my Letter of Introduction yesterday, so just over two weeks for me.

So I'd say you'll get yours pretty soon - what date did you submit everything?

I was also thinking 6 - 8 weeks, and I actually applied for a new passport after I submitted everything (I stupidly thought there would be a big rush for visas like the last few years, so just went ahead with it). So yeah, it came back much quicker than I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dpatton96

Nymeria wrote: »
    @ dpatton96 - Just to let you know that I submitted all my documents on 29th April and paid the fee, and got confirmation and my Letter of Introduction yesterday, so just over two weeks for me.

So I'd say you'll get yours pretty soon - what date did you submit everything?

I was also thinking 6 - 8 weeks, and I actually applied for a new passport after I submitted everything (I stupidly thought there would be a big rush for visas like the last few years, so just went ahead with it). So yeah, it came back much quicker than I thought.

Ahh grand, I submitted and paid for mine on the 1st of May. Hopefully I'll get it this week or next week at some stage.

I did some digging as well and read that the processing is a first in first out basis so should be grand.

Thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

I've decided I'd like to head over to Vancouver in January on a WHV. Just had a glance at the info on the first page of this thread, and saw that it's from 2014. Before I go reading and following all those instructions, can you just let me know if anything about the application process has changed?

I'm pretty busy with work stuff for the next week. Should I get applying ASAP or do I have plenty of time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Nymeria

Hi CM24,

Have a look at the following link - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/selections.asp?country=ie&cat=wh

It gives updates on the number of visas left. There still seems to be loads left, but you would want to hurry up and get your profile set up, as it says on that page that the final rounds of invitations for the 2017 season will be from September 25 - 29.

Once you get an invitation, you will have a few weeks to get all your documents together and submit them, so you might want to start applying for any garda certs/ police certs that you need.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 wunderbar

Hi All!

I've recently decided to try and move over, am a bit lost with all the information.
    Basically I'm hoping ideally to move in March/April of next year. Of course I have no visa sorted :( and looking at the last response it looks like the offers may be closed.

Can anyone advise how I'd go about applying or when I can actually apply again?

I'm currently working as an engineer so I think there may be a possibility to apply via the advanced entry program alternatively.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Applications should open again early in the new year. Not sure if you would have it before March/April but it probably wouldn't be too much later than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Tades86

Good Morning,

I got my POE letter of acceptance and I was wondering if I travel to Canada this year (for a week) just to activate the Work Permit can I go back in 2019 when I am actually ready to move. Has anyone done this before?

All advice welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Tades86 wrote: »
    Good Morning,

I got my POE letter of acceptance and I was wondering if I travel to Canada this year (for a week) just to activate the Work Permit can I go back in 2019 when I am actually ready to move. Has anyone done this before?

All advice welcome.

When did you start your application? Just wondering how long it took to get the POE letter?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Tades86

i started it beginning of December and I got my offer letter the 10 January. Very quick turnaround.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/694795/295715.pdf

Garda Clearance Form link if anyone needs it :).
    Does anyone know where this form came from? Trying to find it on the Garda site, but having no luck :/ Used it to get the cert for my WHV, but they (the Gardai) don't seem to accept it anymore :/

As when filling out the Garda form, what do you put down for the "Police Certificate required for the information of", as AFAIK, I need to get the cert, not the embassy?

the_syco wrote: »
    Does anyone know where this form came from? Trying to find it on the Garda site, but having no luck :/ Used it to get the cert for my WHV, but they (the Gardai) don't seem to accept it anymore :/

As when filling out the Garda form, what do you put down for the "Police Certificate required for the information of", as AFAIK, I need to get the cert, not the embassy?

The last time I needed a cert (in 2016), I just wrote a letter detailing the request and listing all my previous addresses. Cert arrived in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The last time I needed a cert (in 2016), I just wrote a letter detailing the request and listing all my previous addresses. Cert arrived in a couple of weeks.
    Cool. No idea what to include for the part "Copy of Documentation from Embassy/Consular(on Consular website) requesting Police Certificate" :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1 beastmcl

Hi there,

I have until the end of May to activate my 2 year IEC visa, I intend on activating this at the start of May. However I then need to return home for work commitments until the beginning of 2019 and then move over and begin work, has anybody had any experience doing this, I would still have 16-17 months to find work and apply for sponsorship. Does it impact my visa leaving Canada for 6-7 months.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

I don't think you need 'sponsorship' for Canada.

You earn credits towards a score and apply for permanent residency. That's how I've come to understand it anyway.

So as long as you can get 1 year full work experience before your IEC expires you could then apply for PR.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 yergrand

Hi all,
    I'm 35 years old this year so it's the last year I'll be able to go on the iec 2 year visa.

problem is i'm entering the fourth year of my degree program in september. Is it possible to sign up for the visa this year and not travel over until june of 2019?

or if they open the applications early next year before my birthday (end of feb), would my signing up then but not heading over until i'm 36 be ok?

yergrand wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'm 35 years old this year so it's the last year I'll be able to go on the iec 2 year visa.

problem is i'm entering the fourth year of my degree program in september. Is it possible to sign up for the visa this year and not travel over until june of 2019?

or if they open the applications early next year before my birthday (end of feb), would my signing up then but not heading over until i'm 36 be ok?

The letter of invitation has to be issued before you turn 36. I would apply this year around July/August, when the LOI is issued you have one year to enter Canada. Leaving it to apply until next year is too risky (imo).

• Registered Users Posts: 27 yergrand

The letter of invitation has to be issued before you turn 36. I would apply this year around July/August, when the LOI is issued you have one year to enter Canada. Leaving it to apply until next year is too risky (imo).

thanks, that's great news. I'll ask around to see what the chances are of my landing a graduate software developer job and start making plans to start making plans.

thanks a lot

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Clickbait

I'm in the middle of applying for the working holiday visa. I just received my invitation to apply, so hoping I should have it soon. But realistically, I don't think I can go over until next March. What are the chances of getting unskilled work in Canada. I am hoping to go to Vancouver. I need something new, a new scenery and get out what I'm doing now.

• Advertisement

Clickbait wrote: »
    I'm in the middle of applying for the working holiday visa. I just received my invitation to apply, so hoping I should have it soon. But realistically, I don't think I can go over until next March. What are the chances of getting unskilled work in Canada. I am hoping to go to Vancouver. I need something new, a new scenery and get out what I'm doing now.

Depending on where you go, unskilled work can be pretty easy to find. It's generally not very well paid though so you might struggle a bit. For example, in Vancouver I see a lot of unskilled jobs paying $13-$14 an hour, no way could you survive on that wage in Vancouver.

Depending on where you go, unskilled work can be pretty easy to find. It's generally not very well paid though so you might struggle a bit. For example, in Vancouver I see a lot of unskilled jobs paying $13-$14 an hour, no way could you survive on that wage in Vancouver.

I hear Vancouver can be expensive, what would be a good wage to survive. Is there a cheaper city?

I hear Vancouver can be expensive, what would be a good wage to survive. Is there a cheaper city?

For Vancouver, I would say $20 an hour is probably the minimum to aim for (based on a 35 hour week). $45k per year would be comfortable for a single person willing to house share with a few other people. Places like Calgary are probably cheaper but I've no direct experience.

For Vancouver, I would say $20 an hour is probably the minimum to aim for (based on a 35 hour week). $45k per year would be comfortable for a single person willing to house share with a few other people. Places like Calgary are probably cheaper but I've no direct experience.

Thanks for this. Now you're putting doubts in my mind about the whole thing. There's a huge difference between $13-14 and $20 an hour. Did anyone ever manage on an unskilled wage?

Thanks for this. Now you're putting doubts in my mind about the whole thing. There's a huge difference between $13-14 and $20 an hour. Did anyone ever manage on an unskilled wage?

I didn't mean to put doubts but you also have to be realistic. There's no point moving halfway round the world only to struggle.

People do survive on min wage jobs but they either work 2 jobs or live out in the boonies and spend 2+ hours per day commuting to work.

$14 an hour for 35 hours a week would leave you with about $1800 net per month. By far your biggest cost is going to be accomodation. Most house shares I've seen around downtown run about $800-1000 (excluding bills). So straight away that's more than half your wage gone. Food (particularly meat and dairy) is more expensive. Cell phone contracts are more expensive. Running a car is more expensive. It's not for me but maybe you could survive on that. No doubt it'd be a struggle and there's definitely not much scope for saving.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I'm going to be applying for the IEC working holiday visa later in the year (I'm planning to move to Canada in March-April 2019). I have an Irish passport, but have been living in the UK since 2009 - presumably that means I'd still be applying for the Irish pool? Also, I suppose this means I'd need police certificates from both Ireland and the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Hey I'm thinking about going this time next year to Vancouver. By that time I'll have graduated but will have little actual experience in my field, Accounting and Finance. Just wondering would my degree hold much weight over there (Vancouver)?

Could I get a decent job in a bank or business firm?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Hi all, I'm about to start the process of becoming a candidate and entering a pool for the IEC. How long does it usually take from becoming a candidate to being sent an invitation to apply?

I'll be out of the country for 3 weeks in Sept/Oct, so don't want to get caught out having to sort stuff for it while I'm away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JLK2691

Hey all,

Hoping to get a bit of help/guidance.. emailed on the CIC website looking for info on withdrawing/cancelling my application but so far after a few attempts it's been over 20 days and I've gotten no response.

Basically, personal circumstances have come up and I can no longer get over to Canada within the timeframe given to activate my visa (start of November).

I was hoping someone could let me know - can I reapply again in the next few months? and is there any extra criteria I need to meet due to reapplying?

If I can't go for the IEC again (seriously hoping this isn't the case), is there any other options?

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

JLK2691 wrote: »
    Hey all,

Hoping to get a bit of help/guidance.. emailed on the CIC website looking for info on withdrawing/cancelling my application but so far after a few attempts it's been over 20 days and I've gotten no response.

Basically, personal circumstances have come up and I can no longer get over to Canada within the timeframe given to activate my visa (start of November).

I was hoping someone could let me know - can I reapply again in the next few months? and is there any extra criteria I need to meet due to reapplying?

If I can't go for the IEC again (seriously hoping this isn't the case), is there any other options?

Thanks in advance.

If your application has been processed and you have your Letter of Introduction, then there is nothing you can do other than activate it before November. You can always chance applying for a second IEC but don't be surprised if it's rejected.

Advertisement