Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPDATED FOR 2015- IEC FAQ Thread - please read here first and ask any questions here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 CatProblem

Hi Folks,

I see that the latest pool for working visas is now closed. Do people know when it will open again? And should I set up an account now or is there any point until the applications open again?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I think last year they opened around November/December, not sure about creating an account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Whats the best option for a 38 year old to get a visa for Canada? 10 years exp in i.t if that helps!

zweton wrote: »
    Whats the best option for a 38 year old to get a visa for Canada? 10 years exp in i.t if that helps!

Find an employer who will sponsor you for a work permit or check if there is a path to permanent residency for you. Most people go through Express Entry for PR but each province has it's own Provincial Nomination Program.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Find an employer who will sponsor you for a work permit or check if there is a path to permanent residency for you. Most people go through Express Entry for PR but each province has it's own Provincial Nomination Program.

Finding an employer to sponsor me from Ireland I imagine would be very difficult!

• Advertisement

Finding an employer to sponsor me from Ireland I imagine would be very difficult!

Difficult from Ireland but if you network over LinkedIn and head out for a month or so, that would help greatly (especially if you have in demand skills). You are allowed to job hunt and go for interviews on a tourist visa.

The other option is to work for a company in Ireland that has offices in Canada and get an internal transfer - there's a work permit available for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Using linkedin and connecting to HR people directly in messenger I was able to get interviewed in Ireland over the phone before I left. I did have my 2 year IEC visa but I still managed to do 2 rounds of interviews over the phone and a coding interview.

When you say 10 years in I.T, what are you referring to?

If it's 10 years of development and you have current up to date skills then you will have a very good chance at sponsorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

How often are the visas released. Should I apply now if looking to go over in Summer 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 37 tmkly

Hi there,

I was wondering if someone could help me with the following query.

I’m planning on moving to Canada in April 2019. I was granted a 2 year working holiday visa last April and the latest I can arrive before it expires on entry is next April.

My current passport expires in May 2020.

My dilemma is that if I go on my current passport that my visa will be limited to May 2020 (passport expiry date).

I have tried to see can I renew my passport now via the website but I’m told I can’t until it is at least within 1 year of the expiration date. Plus it always seems difficult to travel when a passport is within 6 months of expiry when I am over there.

Can I renew my passport now manually or via written application or am I screwed by the timing of both the visa expiration and passport expirations dates.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

tmkly wrote: »

My dilemma is that if I go on my current passport that my visa will be limited to May 2020 (passport expiry date).

Are you sure that's how the IEC visa works? I've heard about a lot of people renewing while they were here and before they left Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

My application has just been approved!! :)
    jme2010 wrote: »
    Are you sure that's how the IEC visa works? I've heard about a lot of people renewing while they were here and before they left Ireland.

It does seem to be true - on my approval letter it says 'Your passport must be valid beyond the period you intend to remain in Canada. If not, the validity of your work permit will not be issued beyond the expiry date of your passport, or, for United States citizens and permanent residents, the validity of your identity document.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

Hello,

I wonder how would you go about recovering your username for the sign in? I forgot mine and I have a small fear of being instantly rejected if I email them about it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Have you had any luck with getting your username back, creditcarder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

You make a new account and link it :)

Anybody get an invite yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 tmkly

jme2010 wrote: »

I ended up renewing my passport and will travel on that. I'll bring my old cancelled passport as well incase they ask for that in entry as that was the passport number I ave in the application for the Visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 RT29

Hi there, I'm looking into applying for a Canadian visa over the coming months. I previously applied for a visa in October 2015 and was granted a 2 year working visa. I had a year to activate it, but never did in the end. Now I'm wondering what the chances are of me being able to apply for a visa again and is there any chance at all of getting granted again? Anybody else on here been in the same situation before? Cheers.

RT29 wrote: »
    Hi there, I'm looking into applying for a Canadian visa over the coming months. I previously applied for a visa in October 2015 and was granted a 2 year working visa. I had a year to activate it, but never did in the end. Now I'm wondering what the chances are of me being able to apply for a visa again and is there any chance at all of getting granted again? Anybody else on here been in the same situation before? Cheers.

If you have previously been issued a letter of introduction for a WHV then you cannot get a second one after that expires. You can always try and apply anyway but don't be surprised if it gets rejected.

If you have previously been issued a letter of introduction for a WHV then you cannot get a second one after that expires. You can always try and apply anyway but don't be surprised if it gets rejected.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I might just try apply anyway. Just hope for the best then I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I might just try apply anyway. Just hope for the best then I suppose.
    You could apply if you have a parent or grandparent from the uk

tonydude wrote: »
    You could apply if you have a parent or grandparent from the uk

No, I don't have any family from the UK. Would it make any difference if I'll be applying with a different passport from the last time? My passport is out next year, so I'll be renewing it fairly soon.

• Advertisement

Don't re-apply this time if you are not 100% committed on going. It's supposed to be a once in a lifetime opportunity so think long and hard before possibly taking the spot on IEC that another person might have wanted.

It did look like a slow take up of the visas when I got approved in 2017 so maybe there's a surplus. Best of luck

Heading to Canada in two days! How do I demonstrate my proof of funds in case they ask me at the airport? Would a printed page from online banking be sufficient?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Scarinae wrote: »
    Heading to Canada in two days! How do I demonstrate my proof of funds in case they ask me at the airport? Would a printed page from online banking be sufficient?
    It should be, however I'd recommend getting a sheet printed at the bank.

the_syco wrote: »
    It should be, however I'd recommend getting a sheet printed at the bank.

Not an option unfortunately, it is a UK bank account as I’ve been living in London for the last ten years but I’ve been back in Ireland for a week. Apparently any bank statements have to be less than a week old so I couldn’t get it done before I left. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Not an option unfortunately, it is a UK bank account as I’ve been living in London for the last ten years but I’ve been back in Ireland for a week. Apparently any bank statements have to be less than a week old so I couldn’t get it done before I left. Fingers crossed!
    Install the bank app on your phone. As an "if all else fails" measure.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Zad_zad

I'm doing my biometrics tomorrow (April 18th) anyone have any idea if I'm likely to get approved before May 31st? Should I cancel/change my flights which are booked for the 31st?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dhanna506

Hi guys, I applied for the IEC under an irish passport and did my biometrics about 3 weeks back. Got a message today requesting a police certificate from the Garda.

I am from the north and have applied and submitted an ACRO police certificate as part of my application(UK certificate). I have sent an online enquiry to see the story.

But is this something anyone else has seen/heard or come across?

dhanna506 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I applied for the IEC under an irish passport and did my biometrics about 3 weeks back. Got a message today requesting a police certificate from the Garda.

I am from the north and have applied and submitted an ACRO police certificate as part of my application(UK certificate). I have sent an online enquiry to see the story.

But is this something anyone else has seen/heard or come across?

Hmmm that's weird, have you ever lived in the Republic of Ireland? According to this you have to provide police certificates for anywhere you've lived for more than six months after the age of 18, but they can ask you for more police certificates. I guess since you used an Irish passport they assumed you need one from the Republic (Canadians don't generally understand the intricacies of the Northern Ireland situation, but sure why would they).

I don't know how close you are to the border but would you be able to drop into a Garda station and talk to them about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dhanna506

Hmmm that's weird, have you ever lived in the Republic of Ireland? According to this you have to provide police certificates for anywhere you've lived for more than six months after the age of 18, but they can ask you for more police certificates. I guess since you used an Irish passport they assumed you need one from the Republic (Canadians don't generally understand the intricacies of the Northern Ireland situation, but sure why would they).

I don't know how close you are to the border but would you be able to drop into a Garda station and talk to them about it?

It just hit me a few hours later..I did placement year in Limerick from August 2014 to July 2015, so I lived down south for 6+ months. So this could be the reason?

Unexpected twist for my visa, prob gonna delay me up to 5weeks-

• Advertisement

That probably is the reason alright! I got my Garda certificate fairly quickly and I was living in London at the time, hopefully yours will be as efficient.

Advertisement