Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What ever happened to My Little Funhouse?

• 01-02-2014 7:45pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 107 ✭✭

back in the 90's Kilkenny had 2 really good bands....My Little Funhouse & Kerbdog. I know Kerbdog plays gigs sometimes & some of the members are now SOULS but whatever happened to MLF??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

No idea, but its mad that Joe Doyle used to play bass for them and your username is, well, joe doyle :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 107 ✭✭joegdoyle

Gary Deevy played bass for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Graham Hopkins went on to join Therapy? for a while although he wasn't the drummer on their album or when they played Slane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

"cookie jar"....

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pdelahunty

There was another great Kilkenny band around the same time called Engine Alley - always sorry they never made it huge

• Advertisement

I think the guys from Engine Alley are recording as something else now, or some of them are. I was told the name a few weeks ago, but can't think of it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pdelahunty

Although not from Kilkenny there are plenty of other great Irish bands I wish had better luck

Rollerskate Skinny
    Turn
    Microdisney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

MLF were not good, at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I made a post about this nearly two years ago or so here, and one of the members actually signed up to an account and posted that the band were not getting back together...but didn't post much else...

If anyone from them does actually see this they might want to check a link on the Indie Merch Store website

http://www.indiemerchstore.com/item/22065/

I was going to buy one for nostalgia - but I assume they'd be original and new

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭yknaa

seachto7 wrote: »
    I think the guys from Engine Alley are recording as something else now, or some of them are. I was told the name a few weeks ago, but can't think of it now.

Brian Kenealy has released a few albums. I heard a track on John Creedon a few weeks back - sounded good to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

If memory serves correctly, didn't My Little Funhouse open for Guns N' Roses @ Slane in May 1992?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    If memory serves correctly, didn't My Little Funhouse open for Guns N' Roses @ Slane in May 1992?

They did. They were followed by Faith No More then G'n'R.

Faith No More stole the show from what I can remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

joegdoyle wrote: »

Joe Doyle (born May 8, 1977) is the bassist and backing singer for Irish rock band The Frames[1] and the Swell Season. He has been a member of The Frames since 1996, appearing on six albums to date. In addition to appearing on Frames albums, he has also plays bass and contributes backing vocals to two Swell Season albums: the soundtrack to "Once" and "Strict Joy." He is currently touring as a member of the Swell Season, which also includes Glen Hansard (vocals/guitar), Marketa Irglova (vocals/piano), Graham Hopkins (drums/backing vocals), Rob Botchnik (lead guitar/backing vocals) and Colm Mac Con Iomaire (violin/backing vocals). Doyle originates from Allenwood, County Kildare, Ireland.
    He left school in 1994, aged 16, to join Kilkenny band My Little Funhouse in 1993, alongside school friend Graham Hopkins. After signing a recording deal with Geffen Records, the band toured their debut album Standunder for about a year, mainly in the United States. Tours included support to Guns N' Roses and The Ramones amongst others. The band then lived in Los Angeles and recorded a second album for Geffen before imploding. Doyle then went on to join The Frames after bassist Graham Downey left the band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

My Little Funhouse also played at Sunstroke in Dalymount Park in August 1994 with Terrorvision, Frank Black, Helmet, Therapy? Ice Cube and Red Hot Chili Peppers

There was also a rumour that Cypress Hill were gonna be there, even to the extend that unofficial t shirts included them in the line up, but sadly they weren't in attendance!:)

John Kenny of 2FM Metal Show played music between the bands, as far as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭thesaurus2

their drummer Graham Hopkins has gone onto become one of the most respected drummers in the world. He hit the big time when Glen Hansard did as part of his touring band (The Fames but not called The Frames) which has lead to all sorts of cheques and endorsements, playing with Eddie Vedder etc. Couldn't imagine seeing Hansard without him, he's a class player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Yeah Hopkins is indeed a tasty player. His drumming on Suicide Pact is killer. I was a huge Fyfe Ewing fan and was devastated when he left. Saw Hopkins with Therapy? in the Olympia, he focking killed it...

Whatever happened to Fyfe? He was one amazing drummer, have never seen anyone as good or as fast since he quit Therapy.

thesaurus2 wrote: »
    Whatever happened to Fyfe? He was one amazing drummer, have never seen anyone as good or as fast since he quit Therapy.

Sadly it seems the limelight wasn't for him. He was happy enough being in the band around the Nurse era, but once they were catapulted into super stardom with the release of Troublegum things soured. Was watching an interview on YouTube with Cairns, it wasn't a happy camp touring that album.

I believe he's drumming on the new album with Ginger from the Wildhearts? He's one of my favourite drummers. I must of watched live from Brixton video until the tape gave out. Opal Mantra on 120 minutes is killer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Hopkins is a great drummer and a nice guy to boot. I was lucky enough to work at the drum workshop in the sfx years ago when the chili's played slane. Got to hang out with hopkins, chad smith (madman and an excellent pool player, play him and you will lose!!), taylor hawkins (who passed me a joint, cheers mate!) nick oliveri and the feeder/skunk anansie drummer who's name escapes me (richardson?)

good times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,247 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Los Lobos wrote: »
    Joe Doyle (born May 8, 1977) is the bassist and backing singer for Irish rock band The Frames[1] and the Swell Season. He has been a member of The Frames since 1996, appearing on six albums to date. In addition to appearing on Frames albums, he has also plays bass and contributes backing vocals to two Swell Season albums: the soundtrack to "Once" and "Strict Joy." He is currently touring as a member of the Swell Season, which also includes Glen Hansard (vocals/guitar), Marketa Irglova (vocals/piano), Graham Hopkins (drums/backing vocals), Rob Botchnik (lead guitar/backing vocals) and Colm Mac Con Iomaire (violin/backing vocals). Doyle originates from Allenwood, County Kildare, Ireland.
    He left school in 1994, aged 16, to join Kilkenny band My Little Funhouse in 1993, alongside school friend Graham Hopkins. After signing a recording deal with Geffen Records, the band toured their debut album Standunder for about a year, mainly in the United States. Tours included support to Guns N' Roses and The Ramones amongst others. The band then lived in Los Angeles and recorded a second album for Geffen before imploding. Doyle then went on to join The Frames after bassist Graham Downey left the band.
    slane was in 92 so I guess the horse had bolted by 93...

all i remember was this was "pre grunge" and MLF were signed to geffen on the crest of a rock wave.....then grunge demolished rock and hair metal forever.

They were also extra's in the iconic "november rain" video

• Advertisement

Hopkins is a great drummer and a nice guy to boot. I was lucky enough to work at the drum workshop in the sfx years ago when the chili's played slane. Got to hang out with hopkins, chad smith (madman and an excellent pool player, play him and you will lose!!), taylor hawkins (who passed me a joint, cheers mate!) nick oliveri and the feeder/skunk anansie drummer who's name escapes me (richardson?)

good times.
    wow!

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Sadly it seems the limelight wasn't for him. He was happy enough being in the band around the Nurse era, but once they were catapulted into super stardom with the release of Troublegum things soured. Was watching an interview on YouTube with Cairns, it wasn't a happy camp touring that album.

I believe he's drumming on the new album with Ginger from the Wildhearts? He's one of my favourite drummers. I must of watched live from Brixton video until the tape gave out. Opal Mantra on 120 minutes is killer.
    think therapy had rockstar cccccocaine issues at that point!

Fyfe Ewing is the greatest drummer this island ever produced. The stuff he was up to in the early therapy years is untouchable!

wow!

was lucky enough to have a job for a while that brought me into contact with a few legends, or the brass neck to approach them. I have plenty of stories...!

start a thread!!

think therapy had rockstar cccccocaine issues at that point!

Fyfe Ewing is the greatest drummer this island ever produced. The stuff he was up to in the early therapy years is untouchable!

One of a kind.

Ah Fyfe Ewing. oOnder what became of him? A talented man. For all the bad stuff we see coming out of NI, there are some bloody good musicians coming out of there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

They did. They were followed by Faith No More then G'n'R.

Faith No More stole the show from what I can remember.

Faith No More were brilliant that day. Stole the show all right. Even back then Guns N Roses were doing their 'come on two hours late' thing. Axl is such a knobhead!

start a thread!!

i think i mentioned some of it on a "who have you met?" thread a few years back.

some highlights were sharing a urinal with jeff hanneman, seeing adam jones from tool going the extra mile for a fan, having mikee from sikth reciting some of his (very strange) spoken word stuff right into my ear.....

...but i'm derailing the thread.

i think i mentioned some of it on a "who have you met?" thread a few years back.

some highlights were sharing a urinal with jeff hanneman, seeing adam jones from tool going the extra mile for a fan, having mikee from sikth reciting some of his (very strange) spoken word stuff right into my ear.....

...but i'm derailing the thread.

crossing streams with jeff, nice one! What did adam do?

• Advertisement

Fyfe and Ginger sounds promising. The Wildhearts were fantastic around the time of their early EP's and earth vs Wildhearts album and then the drugs kicked in.

I take it that Geffen signed the band to tour in the United States because that was something they did then, and you could never imagine a band of the same nature having that much money invested in them from a major label these days? Do major labels even have the money to do that these days lol?

Also, second album? Does anyone know if that's available at all or they just lived in LA (I presume on Geffen money, again) and didn't actually finish, release or record anything?

I think I might buy that cassette now....

thesaurus2 wrote: »
    Fyfe and Ginger sounds promising. The Wildhearts were fantastic around the time of their early EP's and earth vs Wildhearts album and then the drugs kicked in.
    i heard it was a triple album and fyfe is playing on half of it? (i heard that years ago)

i heard it was a triple album and fyfe is playing on half of it? (i heard that years ago)

A triple album? Jesus, they must be great drugs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Having seen them at Slane in '92 i seen them again at the Tivoli in December of that year iirc. Standunder was a pretty good rock album,nothing groundbreaking but them boys could play. Sadly the Tivoli gig had a fairly paltry attendance and the hype around them only served to hinder their progress. The 'next GN'R' tag that was applied to them by the media was always gonna be a noose around their neck.

lord lucan wrote: »
    Sadly the Tivoli gig had a fairly paltry attendance and the hype around them only served to hinder their progress.

It's a shame. One of the few bands I wish I was older to have been able to see

• Advertisement

Grunge rendered a lot of bands obsolete over night!!

there was a tour called "clash of the titans" featuring Slayer/Megadeth/suicidal tendencies and ........little known band Alice in chains.....

the support band were bottled every night and 6 months later Thrash was buried and AIC were giants!

the support band were bottled every night and 6 months later Thrash was buried and AIC were giants!

I remember reading about that. I didn't realize they were bottled though.

The only band I've ever thrown things at were the Lost Prophets lead vocalist.

They said later in a Metal Hammer interview that the worst gig they ever played in their life was in Dublin, opening for Metallica, because people threw loose change at them...I didn't go that far, but in retrospect, that was a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

Alan Lawlor plays with a cover band in KK called The Hujas. They are the best around by miles.

I think it was probably more down to the fact that MLF just weren't that good a band.

I remember reading about that. I didn't realize they were bottled though.

The only band I've ever thrown things at were the Lost Prophets lead vocalist.

They said later in a Metal Hammer interview that the worst gig they ever played in their life was in Dublin, opening for Metallica, because people threw loose change at them...I didn't go that far, but in retrospect, that was a mistake.
    your peedo radar is strong!

• Advertisement

I think it was probably more down to the fact that MLF just weren't that good a band.
    well it did happen to quite a few bands...American rock was totally wiped out after 92. That would mean record companies dropped all bands and went after seattle bands.

well it did happen to quite a few bands...American rock was totally wiped out after 92. That would mean record companies dropped all bands and went after seattle bands.

True, a lot of the c0ck rock got erased overnight, but I never thought they were much good anyhow.

I could never take to Irish lads singing about "cookie jars".

GnRs AFD stood the test of time. It would still blow most stuff away if it were released now.

I could never take to Irish lads singing about "cookie jars".

You know it was a metaphor, yes? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Mahonie

the bass players with riverdance ...

You know it was a metaphor, yes? ;)

We call it the biscuit tin in Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭ledgebag1

joegdoyle wrote: »

Used to work with gary years ago, have seen him in a long long time

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Mahonie

playing with riverdance now as far as i know..

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ghost_rider

Also, second album? Does anyone know if that's available at all or they just lived in LA (I presume on Geffen money, again) and didn't actually finish, release or record anything?.

MLF did record a second album, when they were living in LA, during the Spring of 1994.

They were "between drummers" at the time & Matt Sorum played drums on the album. It was fully recorded, but don't know if it ever was finished off in production & subsequently was never released.

They almost made it & were working with some heavy hitters of the industry on that second album. Producers, Studios, A&R people etc, all footed by Geffen. But as others have said up-thread the Seattle grunge bands finished off the rock bands of the day. MLF being one of the casualties.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Luffas

I know grunge has its place and all that, but it's criminal that MLF didn't make it and some fools of the grunge scene did. they killed rock n roll right there and then, it has never recovered, hence the simon cowell crap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 DarkerSerge

MLF appeared in a GnR video.

• Advertisement
Advertisement