Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats the state of rock/metal scene in Ireland

• 01-02-2014 7:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 107 ✭✭

Whats the rock/metal scene like in Ireland? When I left 18years ago it was quite good but when I go back for holidays there seems to be a lot of commercial crap on the radio

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭weisses

joegdoyle wrote: »
    Whats the rock/metal scene like in Ireland? When I left 18years ago it was quite good but when I go back for holidays there seems to be a lot of commercial crap on the radio

Where are you now ???

It seems there is plenty of rock/metal on your local radio (which would be awesome) :D

To me its all the same wherever you go and the proper metal/rock is only available through internet radio ... except for ray perhaps ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Well you're not gonna find much in the way of Rock/Metal on mainstream Irish radio. Metal Notes on Phantom is the only dedicated show that you will hear it. As far as the scene is concerned there's plenty of decent Rock/Metal bands around the country, you just have to find them online and then get to gigs to see them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭orangesoda

Cruachan and Waylander are the only irish metal bands that i would listen to, derry have a decent goth symphonic band called Selene

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

The underground metal scene is in pretty good shape I think. Mourning Beloveth and Altar Of Plagues (RIP) both released monumental albums last year. Stalwarts like Primordial and Abaddon Incarnate are both due to release new albums this year. There's also some great up and coming black/death metal bands in the form of ZOM, Malthusian and Sodb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

A bit older, but still. Metal from Ireland was always appreciated in Germany :)

http://www.metalglory.de/mapeuropa.php?land_id=99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Was having a convo with someone on this very topic last week, and both of us reckon that the metal scene in Ireland is probably the same as it ever was.

You can still find bands to suit most tastes, and it is a lot easier for bands to get their music out there thanks to various websites.

What seems to be very healthy at the moment is the UK rock and metal scene. There are a hell of a lot of bands coming through that are gigging week in week out, and it is just so damn easy now in the UK to go out and find a band playing what you want to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 RockLady

Passenger wrote: »
    Well you're not gonna find much in the way of Rock/Metal on mainstream Irish radio. Metal Notes on Phantom is the only dedicated show that you will hear it. As far as the scene is concerned there's plenty of decent Rock/Metal bands around the country, you just have to find them online and then get to gigs to see them.
    Metal Notes isn't the only dedicated show, though sadly it won't be on air for much longer. There was the metal show on Raidio na Life - finished now, unfortunately, but it was on for 10 years - and there still is the Moshpit on Dublin City FM, that's been on for 7 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

It would be grand if there were a metal radio station, even a 30 day licence spread over x amount of weekends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

I remember taping the metai show on 2fm as a youngster. Where I first heard brutal truth. 2fm. True story :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIYeKZ7LElA

• Advertisement
Advertisement