Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exchange keeps dropping connection to us every 7 minutes.

Options
  • 01-02-2014 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭

Hi. So here's the full story. On Thursday 23rd January a fault occurred at an exchange (In Leixlip, I believe) that caused us and others to lose internet and phone access until around 12pm the following day. Our internet connection was initially restored totally for 30 minutes but our speeds were then degraded and the disconnections began occurring. This has been happening every day since then. The topic title is worded as such because we're certain that there is no problem with our home network, we've never had this kind of disconnect before the fault at the exchange and even when the connection goes down the router is still fully accessible and I can watch as modem renegotiates the connection for around a minute.

Our initial speeds were 14554 kbps Down and 765 kbps Up. (We're told 15mb is the max we can get on our line) Now whenever the connection resets we get somewhere between 8500-9700 kbps Down (this changes every time) and our Up remains at 765 kbps. Sometimes the connection will stay, but only for around an hour, then it's back into the 7 minute cycle.

So as you can imagine most services we use are now unusable. Audio and video streaming is now impossible as well as online gaming and uploading videos to Youtube, so the money we pay for subscriptions for Spotify and Netflix is now just going to waste as a result. Even browsing the internet is painful.

So is there still a problem at the exchange? What can be done to restore our connection to what it was 2 weeks ago?

(The connection dropped right as I submitted this post, if I hadn't copied the whole thing before posting I would've had to retype it all. This is an example of the smaller yet still incredibly frustrating inconveniences this is causing.)

Advertisement