Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

raw food supplier Dublin area or delivey

• 01-02-2014 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hello, after got let down by our raw food supplier again :mad: I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good one for the Dublin area or a company who does delivery in Ireland?
    Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

Have you tried dog food direct, dogs first and nutriment?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭LittleMissDiva

havnt tried dog food direct. Contacted nutriment if they do deliver to Ireland (which would be great). DF - just lost me.
    Thank you belongtojazz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

From what I gather, the premises needed to be rebuilt/modified after storm damage, this hasn't worked out for various reasons - I would be pissed off off too, but it seems it can't be helped. It's not as if they have stock ready to go, and your not the only customer that's been let down. I wouldn't take it so personally.

You could always make it up yourself, that's what a lot on this forum do.

I fully understand their situation borderlinemeath but I'm not willing to wait until May to get then told oh we are really sorry but .... we will be back in business in August. Got let down too often the past few months so I'm done. not taking it personally at all but I need a supplier where I can rely on. will defo have a look into making it by myself as this was the plan anyway when I started. just got lazy in ordering it ;-)

I fully understand their situation borderlinemeath but I'm not willing to wait until May to get then told oh we are really sorry but .... we will be back in business in August. Got let down too often the past few months so I'm done. not taking it personally at all but I need a supplier where I can rely on. will defo have a look into making it by myself as this was the plan anyway when I started. just got lazy in ordering it ;-)

It's a pain in the backside, I'm just hoping they can continue with the wholesale runs although it's doubtful. Hopefully when they return they'll be bigger and better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Being honest I've found Dogs First is the most reliable supplier, I get from a variety of different places and when I've gone to order from a few I'm told they're out of X, Y and Z but I've always found Dogs First great.
    It is frustrating about the premises but it's not like it's going to be good for them either, essentially not having an income until May is not something any business person does lightly so I'd imagine it has to be totally unavoidable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

havnt tried dog food direct. Contacted nutriment if they do deliver to Ireland (which would be great). DF - just lost me.
    Thank you belongtojazz

Can you post back about nutriment if they reply to you pls? Slaney pet foods would be another to try. I haven't tried it for my two - I prefer the wholesale stuff from dogsfirst as I'm a bit paranoid about fat content in mince based products.

I really wish them all the best TooManyDogs, as my dogs have been big fans of their food and even managed the secret switch of DF from the salmon in their salmon and veg (yes its still named salmon) to 'white fish'.

will do so tk123. I really have to start doing the food by myself too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

Nutriment do have a supplier in ireland. They are ( or were) at the national show centre every weekend at shows. I found their chubbs a bit too boney but cheap enough.
    I do think - from personal experience- that dogs first are the best and most transparent of all tye suppliers. They are victims of both the weather and their own success.

• Advertisement

Thank you belongtojazz - found them!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

It was lack of transparency that made me another disgruntled customer some time ago, I completely lost trust in them as a result.
    Tk, I have been on to Slaney Pet Foods in the recent past to ask him about the fat content of their meats, because this is a really important consideration for me too. Here's what he told me, it's not a complete list:
    Chicken 13%
    Lamb 16%
    Beef 9%
    Tripe 13%
    Heart chunks 10%
    Liver chunks 2%

I take it that Slaney meat is in chunks. The only comparison I can give is that the minced chicken from DF. according to them, has 30-40% fat.
    I may give Slaney a go, just one order and see how it goes, although it doesn't work out much cheaper than buying meat from supermarkets, though if its better quality and not consisting of so much fat it could be worth a go.
    A friend of mine has ordered from them and she had no issues with the quality of their meats.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭sparky63

There's no doubt that the move of DF to a new premises is going to make things difficult for a lot of us here on this forum as well as many other customers. At the moment i'm buying chicken legs, thighs and full chicken from Aldi. I'm mixing it with rice, canned mackerel and eggs to make it last longer. There is some great advice on the Df site on recipes.

One could argue that its unacceptable that they have landed their customers with this inconvenience. But it has just proved to me, the lack of an alternative in terms of the range of products, price, delivery and expert advice that DF offers. There really is no other company that offers this, coupled with the fact that the owner through Facebook or mobile will answer any query or request for information/advice that far exceeds any other service provider/supplier or company i have ever dealt with. For this reason, i will stay loyal to Df and await the reopening of the new premises.

DBB wrote: »
    It was lack of transparency that made me another disgruntled customer some time ago, I completely lost trust in them as a result.
    Tk, I have been on to Slaney Pet Foods in the recent past to ask him about the fat content of their meats, because this is a really important consideration for me too. Here's what he told me, it's not a complete list:
    Chicken 13%
    Lamb 16%
    Beef 9%
    Tripe 13%
    Heart chunks 10%
    Liver chunks 2%

I take it that Slaney meat is in chunks. The only comparison I can give is that the minced chicken from DF. according to them, has 30-40% fat.
    I may give Slaney a go, just one order and see how it goes, although it doesn't work out much cheaper than buying meat from supermarkets, though if its better quality and not consisting of so much fat it could be worth a go.
    A friend of mine has ordered from them and she had no issues with the quality of their meats.

I was messaging him back on forth on FB and he told me the same. A good few of the hydro clients use them and have no probs either. I took it that everything but the ones listed as chunks is minced though and would assume that includes skin? I tend to get chicken legs if I run out stock. I can get 5 large chicken legs for €4 and the dogs would have one each a day. It works out cheaper than getting them eg from Aldi/Lidl because they're so big and would probably work out around the same as buying minced chicken from a supplier. I just got a box of duck necks and some chubs this week from DF so we're good for a month thank god!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭sparky63

Talking of transparency with DF, the alternative given is a company that also includes dry food as one of its products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

Well, my neighbour and I find ourselves somewhat prepared for this disaster ;) When they announced on the next-to-last run that they were out of all fish, I cancelled my usual run to meet them in Athlone, and contacted their duck suppliers in Emyvale, to order a load of duck necks and hearts from them instead.

This trip was around twice as long for me, but the cost of the food was a hell of a lot cheaper, and the fact that it wasn't yet frozen made it a lot easier for us to bag it up for our freezers. Usually my sweet, obligiging hubby has to whip out his circular saw to go through all our big slabs of frozen dogfood for around an hour, and I really did appreciate when he didn't have to do that!

The main problem this has left us with, is where to get the fish, and I still haven't got that sorted. Mind you, it would seem DF has had this same problem for the past 2 months anyway! That's why I didn't bother going to them: always fish out of stock.

Would be so interested if anyone has ideas for how to source the fish part for our dogs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

In another way, this could not have come at a worse time for me. My mother, a year and a half after losing her last dog, has just adopted a brilliant young saluki cross from Dogs Trust, and I was hoping to get her to introduce him to a fresh diet right from the start. I'd even planned to order a welcome present of a box of gRaw for them for him to try out as soon as the shop opened again. Now things are looking suddenly way more difficult for fresh food starters: probably too difficult for my mum right now.

With a heavy heart, I'm probably going to be encouraging her to set him up with a part-time fresh diet, as best as she feels she can manage for him, and try to ease them in to the idea by the time DF are back in business. And my girl is awful fond of her gRaw, but thankfully is a big fan of raw food generally, so as long as I put the effort in, she at least will not really suffer from this. I will when we go visiting tho. This is gonna be a lot more hassle at those times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

Does anyone here use nutriment? Was checking them out last night and they even do raw cat food, and they're starting a delivery service from this wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I've tried to deal with dog food direct - couldn't get beyond a phone call. Really bad CS I found, and I hadn't even ordered from them.

Hello Rommie, will start ordering today from nutriment as friends in the UK have highly recommend them. Like the variety of raw what they ae offer:-)

• Advertisement

Whispered wrote: »
    I've tried to deal with dog food direct - couldn't get beyond a phone call. Really bad CS I found, and I hadn't even ordered from them.

They're BS-ers imo! At Pet Expo they told me there was 'bad stuff' in nature diet but wouldn't expand on their statement when I asked them to. :rolleyes: This was after I suggested they stock it because so many people are buying it online from the uk!

Dogsfirst have updated their fb page, they're organising a supplier for the wholesale meats, so hopefully anybody who uses their wholesale service may still benefit.

As much as I'd like to save a few quid, I don't know if I'd have the time to drive to Monaghan and back for duck. Apart from the fact that one of mine prefers chicken, I'd imagine I'd need a bigger freezer to buy enough to make it worthwhile.

https://www.facebook.com/DogsFirstIreland?fref=ts

Dogsfirst have updated their fb page, they're organising a supplier for the wholesale meats, so hopefully anybody who uses their wholesale service may still benefit.

As much as I'd like to save a few quid, I don't know if I'd have the time to drive to Monaghan and back for duck. Apart from the fact that one of mine prefers chicken, I'd imagine I'd need a bigger freezer to buy enough to make it worthwhile.

https://www.facebook.com/DogsFirstIreland?fref=ts

I wonder if they'll have a minimum order - I always get some chubbs to make it up to the €30 since i don't have space for 2 boxes of stuff :confused: I need a shed and bigger freezer!!!! :rolleyes:

tk123 wrote: »
    I wonder if they'll have a minimum order - I always get some chubbs to make it up to the €30 since i don't have space for 2 boxes of stuff :confused: I need a shed and bigger freezer!!!! :rolleyes:

I'm sure if thre's a minimum order some boardsies can club together to make it up! There's a good few on here so it could be easily done.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭juniord

I'm sure if thre's a minimum order some boardsies can club together to make it up! There's a good few on here so it could be easily done.

the minimum order for delivery is a pallet of 70 boxes no delivery charge

juniord wrote: »
    the minimum order for delivery is a pallet of 70 boxes no delivery charge

I'm assuming that's direct from the supplier? I'm talking about whatever dogsfirst is organising as per the facebook post?

I'm assuming that's direct from the supplier? I'm talking about whatever dogsfirst is organising as per the facebook post?
    yes thats direct from emyvale thats what i thought you meant sorry

juniord wrote: »
    yes thats direct from emyvale thats what i thought you meant sorry

I'd need to sort me out a walk in freezer for that lot:P
    And I'd have arms like popeye from carrying it all in!

I'd need to sort me out a walk in freezer for that lot:P
    And I'd have arms like popeye from carrying it all in!

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I was going to recommend gRaw but see they had some problems with flooding or problem at their facility. Hope they get up and running again soon. My two didn't really like the Salmon but never tried the beef.

Advertisement