Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

raw food supplier Dublin area or delivey

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Bannasidhe, do you reckon the mince is good quality, as in actual meat and not just fat/feet/other random bits? I'm always a bit wary about buying mince for the dogs as I like to be able to see exactly what I'm giving them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I did not find the DF chubbs great. When I defrosted them they were anything but fresh. Also I won a competition on the DF Facebook page & I was never given my prize. There were 2 other winners, both were regular customers. They got their prize & I was ignored. Very bad form. They obviously did not realise I had sent many new puppy owners their way.

I have some Nutriment defrosted now. It smells lovely & fresh. I know which I will be feeding my dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Knine wrote: »
    I did not find the DF chubbs great. When I defrosted them they were anything but fresh. Also I won a competition on the DF Facebook page & I was never given my prize. There were 2 other winners, both were regular customers. They got their prize & I was ignored. Very bad form. They obviously did not realise I had sent many new puppy owners their way.

I have some Nutriment defrosted now. It smells lovely & fresh. I know which I will be feeding my dogs.

Did you approach DF - I'm assuming you'd know him to see considering you both spend of lot of time in Cloughran and from your posts you don't seem the type of person to hold back :p?
    I've had one box of necks that smelled weird - but it could have been down to the duck's head in the middle of the box :eek: :P No probs with anything else from him.

After trimming 2 handfuls of skin/fat from about 12 duck necks this morning I've decided I don't trust minces. I'd rather buy it and mince it myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

tk123 wrote: »
    Did you approach DF - I'm assuming you'd know him to see considering you both spend of lot of time in Cloughran and from your posts you don't seem the type of person to hold back :p?
    I've had one box of necks that smelled weird - but it could have been down to the duck's head in the middle of the box :eek: :P No probs with anything else from him.

After trimming 2 handfuls of skin/fat from about 12 duck necks this morning I've decided I don't trust minces. I'd rather buy it and mince it myself!

I left several comments on the page! He acknowledged I won but nope no mention of my prize. I was certainly not going to beg for it! Photos even appeared of one of the other winners with their prize! 😊

For me it was more the principle! Also in the dog show world bad form travels fast!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Bannasidhe, do you reckon the mince is good quality, as in actual meat and not just fat/feet/other random bits? I'm always a bit wary about buying mince for the dogs as I like to be able to see exactly what I'm giving them.

Have only gotten the minced green tripe and venison so far. The tripe is a staple now so I will always order that. I have noticed since they have been eating it that they are rarely eating grass and scooping the poop - while not a pleasure- is a doddle as they are producing small, firm stools.

The venison is excellent quality and is venison - it has a distinct texture, colour and smell - not a bad smell just the right smell if you know what I mean. It certainly doesn't have the texture or smell of high fat content as venison is a lean meat this would be immediately noticeable.

I was a bit :eek: when I saw bone in it but my four are crunching down and loving it. One of them is a a fussy diva who does 'feed me lika baybe' when my OH is around but there none of that with this food. She is head down and mangling it.

I tend to give them 1/3 tripe, 1/3 venison (or rabbit next time) 1/3 chicken wing/thigh. Once a week I add some diced heart to the venison. Feeding time has become a breeze. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I was a bit :eek: when I saw bone in it but my four are crunching down and loving it. One of them is a a fussy diva who does 'feed me lika baybe' when my OH is around but there none of that with this food. She is head down and mangling it.

Off topic, but I have one of those as well! I feed 99% of meals, himself would barely know where to start unless I pre-portioned it into bowls. She tries the "poor me' I can't really be chewing too much" for him - and for our neighbour when we go away. Last time I got back he informed me that he had to smash up the duck necks with a hammer so she'd eat them, she gave him "the look":D. Give her tripe or something that doesn't need chewing and she hoovers it. And hoovers the necks when I feed them!

Knine wrote: »
    Also in the dog show world bad form travels fast!

I'd say it does considering his competition show dogs!

The venison is excellent quality and is venison - it has a distinct texture, colour and smell - not a bad smell just the right smell if you know what I mean. It certainly doesn't have the texture or smell of high fat content as venison is a lean meat this would be immediately noticeable. :D

Good point about venison being lean, I hadn't thought of that! Rabbit would be too. I'll order some over the weekend and see it for myself.

Following on from my earlier post about Nutriment - they did get back to me via Facebook in the end. Unfortunately they're out of duck necks at the moment though, she said they'd have them in again next week.

Good point about venison being lean, I hadn't thought of that! Rabbit would be too. I'll order some over the weekend and see it for myself.

Following on from my earlier post about Nutriment - they did get back to me via Facebook in the end. Unfortunately they're out of duck necks at the moment though, she said they'd have them in again next week.

I always expect duck to have a lot of fat. It's essential for their survival so I haven't given my lot any yet.

I always expect duck to have a lot of fat. It's essential for their survival so I haven't given my lot any yet.
    The necks are fairly lean, only a thin layer of fat and it's easy to trim if you wanted to, but I don't bother. They're really meaty too, and cheap.

• Advertisement

The necks are fairly lean, only a thin layer of fat and it's easy to trim if you wanted to, but I don't bother. They're really meaty too, and cheap.

Hmmm...where can I get them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

He said on FB that deliveries to Wicklow and Wexford are starting next week so possibly it'll be deliveries to everywhere?

He has never delivered to my region Cavan before. He reckoned there wasn't enough demand for a run up to here.

I'm hoping if he is starting wholesale deliveries I will now be able to order.

At the minute I make up my own mix of raw food and supplement it with Skinners. I'd prefer to go 100% raw though.

Might look at Slaneypetfoods as per the posts above. I have to get all my raw from the local butcher at the minute but he's limited in what he has - generally meaty scraps, cow hearts, liver and some mince.

I then have to get chicken (thighs, legs etc.) from Tesco or Asda and Mackerel from them too.

Hmmm...where can I get them?
    The only places I've seen them is Dogs First and Nutriment. Nutriment are out of stock but told me they'd be back next week. Dogs First will be starting a courier delivery service in the next few weeks, so hopefully that means anyone anywhere will be able to get them.

The rabbit is seasonal and out of stock :( That's what I was going to get originally and second choice was the venison. Hmmm I might get some to try if it's nice and lean as Bannasidhe says - I've found a much better way to tetris my duck necks into the freezer so think I can squeeze it all in once I use up spare chicken legs and oxtail!

The rabbit is seasonal and out of stock :(

Yep, I discovered that when I tried to order. I got venison instead and tripe. I'll let you know how it looks when it arrives. I also got a text from DF to say he's doing a Cork run on Friday (and other parts of the country during the week as well)! It'll be so nice to have duck necks again, my two do so much better on them than they do on chicken legs.

Yep, I discovered that when I tried to order. I got venison instead and tripe. I'll let you know how it looks when it arrives. I also got a text from DF to say he's doing a Cork run on Friday (and other parts of the country during the week as well)! It'll be so nice to have duck necks again, my two do so much better on them than they do on chicken legs.

Did you get it?! If so what's it like? :p

There's a bag of it defrosting on my kitchen counter right now! It's hard to tell when it's still frozen, but it did look very lean. I'm tempted to fry a bit later on just to see how much fat comes off it. :)

There's a bag of it defrosting on my kitchen counter right now! It's hard to tell when it's still frozen, but it did look very lean. I'm tempted to fry a bit later on just to see how much fat comes off it. :)

How much space does it take up in the freezer? I'll be getting some necks on Monday and wondering if I could squeeze a box of the venison in as well..

How much space does it take up in the freezer? I'll be getting some necks on Monday and wondering if I could squeeze a box of the venison in as well..

It's pretty compact - each bag is about the size of small sandwich and there are 15 (I think) in a box. I forgot to count. The box it came packed in would probably be half the size of a box of gRaw, if that makes sense.

Thanks!! Might try some :p

• Advertisement

Just looking at Slaney Petfood's prices and they seem to be higher than Dogsfirst?

For example, 7kg of minced chicken is €17 with Slaney but 15kg of chicken necks is €20 with DF.

I know there is a difference between mince and necks but you are getting 8kg of food extra for €3. That's a far bigger bang for your buck.

It's a pity because Dogsfirst won't deliver to Cavan.

Lemlin wrote: »
    Just looking at Slaney Petfood's prices and they seem to be higher than Dogsfirst?

It's a pity because Dogsfirst won't deliver to Cavan.

I'm thinking of trying dogfooddirect instead - they'll make up a mixed box 20lb/40lb or even single bags with whatever you want in it and it's cheaper to collect from their warehouse too (which is no help to you in Cavan - but handy for me in Dublin!)

I'm thinking of trying dogfooddirect instead - they'll make up a mixed box 20lb/40lb or even single bags with whatever you want in it and it's cheaper to collect from their warehouse too (which is no help to you in Cavan - but handy for me in Dublin!)

Do they have raw food products?

Edit: just looked. They are €54 for 40lbs which is 18kg. That's still alot more expensive than DF.

My local butcher is still beating these prices. For example, he's €1.75 for each kg of beef liver.

They do - looks like the same stuff as slaney as well as chick necks and carcasses. Take a look on their FB page - it says they'll make up a box to suit your needs and they told me before I could get a 20lb box ;)

Yes, Slaney's are a bit more expensive alright compared to Dogs First wholesale prices. It looks like good quality meat though and it's packed into 1lb bags, whereas with DF you have to let a giant box defrost and pack it up yourself. I'll probably end up using them in the future, but will stick to mostly duck necks and hearts from DF.

I got some tripe from Slaney's. Oh my god, I'd forgotten how much it stinks. :( The dogs adore it though.

Y
    I got some tripe from Slaney's. Oh my god, I'd forgotten how much it stinks. :( The dogs adore it though.

That's why I want a mixed box lol - so I'm not stuck with loads of it in case I decide I can't handle the stink! :P I'll def stick with the duck necks just want to try them with some other stuff too

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭sparky63

I think its the fat content of the mince that was quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭sparky63

How is the fat content of mince measured. To me mince was made up of scraps of meat, offcuts, parts that people wouldn't buy, even bits we wouldn't eat on its own and meat with fat on it and fat. If the fat content was very little, i'd imagine the mince would be very expensive. How do they measure the fat content.

I'm getting some 1lb bags from dogfoodfirect today so will report back! You can get as much or as little as you want so no min order or eg 20lbs of just one meat. My dad is going to collect it for me so it'll be only €1.75 per 1lb bag. They have chicken, beef, lamb, tripe and fish atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

Ordered off dogfooddirect yesterday. Ordered the chicken necks and a mixed box. Hope they're good! As i'm in galway it will be next week before i have it.

Advertisement