Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do i leave prepay power???

Options
  • 01-02-2014 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

Any idea how i can leave them????looking to move to prepay with the E.S.B

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

thanks for that,once they remove their equipment am I automatically transferred to the esb???have the system almost 2 years now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    thanks for that,once they remove their equipment am I automatically transferred to the esb???have the system almost 2 years now :(

You will be left with no prepay meter, you will have to contact electric Ireland and ask them to install a prepay card meter for you, they may charge for the installation but they do not charge any extra each month like prepay power do.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

As far as I know prepay power charge the same rate as ESB in prepay. All the prepay company's say they will match the standard rate of ESB

I could be wrong though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I could be wrong though

Oh, you are! Have a look at there standing charges for a start.

• Advertisement

so who do I contact first???electric Ireland or prepay power???cant have a gap in power supply,and the prepay power bills keep heading north :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Pre pay power 1st and cancel your account then ring esb and they will sort out all as they are still the owners of cables original meter and so on.

People are paying extra for pre pay and don't understand why they can't do the same with esb and just pay each week into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭uisce33

Oh, you are! Have a look at there standing charges for a start.
    Oh I taught they charged the as as well so what's the difference ??

As far as I know prepay power charge the same rate as ESB in prepay. All the prepay company's say they will match the standard rate of ESB

I could be wrong though

They add on about €13 every month on top of the ESB standard rate and standing charges, dearest option by a country mile.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    They add on about €13 every month on top of the ESB standard rate and standing charges, dearest option by a country mile.

So I can't find my contract with prepay short of ringing them is there any other way to find out when my contract ends and am I right in thinking its a 12mth contract ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It would usually unless signed up to say a 18 month they will be able to say if you are still locked in.

so who do I contact first???electric Ireland or prepay power???cant have a gap in power supply,and the prepay power bills keep heading north :mad:

Contact prepay power and they will take out the prepay meter and keypad and all their equipment and arrange to put you back onto electric Ireland account, they may send you a small bill to cover the transition period.

Then you should get bills from your new supplier as normal. If you want a prepay meter from electric Ireland it will have to be arranged with them.

Electric Ireland do not charge any extra fees on top of the standard unit price and standing charges while prepay power and pineregy charge about €13/month on top.

They will probably have a cancelation fee. Something to try put you off canceling.

Contact prepay power and they will take out the prepay meter and keypad and all their equipment and arrange to put you back onto electric Ireland account, they may send you a small bill to cover the transition period.

Then you should get bills from your new supplier as normal. If you want a prepay meter from electric Ireland it will have to be arranged with them.

Electric Ireland do not charge any extra fees on top of the standard unit price and standing charges while prepay power and pineregy charge about €13/month on top.

When you say "electric Ireland " do you mean ESB if so do you not need to be in arrears (and huge arrears at that) to get a meter of them my friend had to fight tooth and nail to get a meter from them or have things changed ?

uisce33 wrote: »
    When you say "electric Ireland " do you mean ESB if so do you not need to be in arrears (and huge arrears at that) to get a meter of them my friend had to fight tooth and nail to get a meter from them or have things changed ?

Not huge arrears. If you are in arrears if €100, they will do it for you.

You could be right? Either way moving from prepay power is the best move to make.

Also OP you may be in contract with prepay power as they have 12 month contracts. Cost to leave is €50 plus €10 for each remaining month of the contract.

Not huge arrears. If you are in arrears if €100, they will do it for you.

Ok so say we go back to the op if like me the op is all ready on prepay then they won't have arrears so how do I get ESB to give me a meter ??

Ok so say we go back to the op if like me the op is all ready on prepay then they won't have arrears so how do I get ESB to give me a meter ??

My O/H was originally with the esb before moving to prepay power and has outstanding arrears of over €100 with them,have prepay power 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

When yo move back to ESB thya may ask for a deposit if you wont do DD, if you can't pay the deposit they may offer you the meter.

Just one difference with the ESB meter, you cant top up online, make sure your local shop does the top ups, mine doesnt and I have to drive over town to top up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Folks the process is not being explained correctly!

I recently left Prepaid Power. Firstly you do not contact them first. You have to find another supplier first and give them your MPRN. The new supplier then deal with your request and contact PPP on your behalf.

PPP will then contact you with an offer of a free €40 top up to lure you into another 12 month contract. If you say no the MPRN is immediately transferred to the new supplier and PPP ceases to be your supplier. PPP will then give you a 60 digit code to put the meter into credit mode and will then arrange with you when to remove it.

Once they remove the meter that is the end of your involvement with PPP.

Ah yes the infamous MPRN number that gave so much grief trying to obtain in the past,cant remember how we actually got it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

What happens to any to up you have i'm the meter, or do you only put in the long code when your credit is used?

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    What happens to any to up you have i'm the meter, or do you only put in the long code when your credit is used?
    it used to be a case of buying cards in the shop to top up,that was in 2006,god knows what system is in place today :rolleyes:

so do i contact the esb so telling them i want to switch back in my name rather than my O/H's????or is she better off doing it on account of her arrears? :confused:

so do i contact the esb so telling them i want to switch back in my name rather than my O/H's????or is she better off doing it on account of her arrears? :confused:

Her account having arrears in the past might encourage electric Ireland to install a Meyer faster for ye.

The only issue is EI may refuse to accept the transfer due to arrears.

To be clear this might apply but ONLY if an account is currently in arrears!!

They can't refuse to take over an account because someone had arrears in the past!

To be clear this might apply but ONLY if an account is currently in arrears!!

They can't refuse to take over an account because someone had arrears in the past!
    if she offered to clear the arrears via metering would they accept that proposal???

• Advertisement

Advertisement