Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do i leave prepay power???

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

lukesmom wrote: »
    That's mad we've been with them since they started out and haven't noticed any increase here at all.

Did you get any recent 60 digit top up codes recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    Did you try both companies???

They state it in their charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Did you get any recent 60 digit top up codes recently?

Yes about 3 top ups ago

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Our PPP costs us about €105 a month for 3 bed semi house.

People need to stop thinking like this.

You need to say how much per kwh your paying.
    I'm paying about 70 a month for a 3 bed. I have made it energy efficient. No lamps over 11W. All appliances are A rated. No dryer. We do use a electric shower as we havn't yet zoned the heating so non pint heating the rads to have a shower

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

ted1 wrote: »

I'm paying about 70 a month for a 3 bed. I have made it energy efficient. No lamps over 11W. All appliances are A rated. No dryer. We do use a electric shower as we havn't yet zoned the heating so non pint heating the rads to have a shower

Apart from a couple of 25w CFLs and switching off things when not needed we don't go overboard trying to reduce electricity costs. Tumble dryer, dish washer, cooker etc are all quite old but a 4 bed bungalow only costs about 120 every two months. So, you can reduce costs without extreme measures.

I agree that unit cost is the real comparator but also Include standing charges.

€105 a month suits us just fine, we have 3 young children so use the washing machine a lot. We use electric shower too and as I said the PPP has been a great choice so far have had it since it first came out. We use prepay meter for gas also. No more nasty bills.

€105 a month suits us just fine, we have 3 young children so use the washing machine a lot. We use electric shower too and as I said the PPP has been a great choice so far have had it since it first came out. We use prepay meter for gas also. No more nasty bills.

You sound like an advertisement for them. We have 2 young kids and I'm in the gym most days so the washing machine is on every day.

I'm also a energy manager with a MSc in energy management so get really annoyed when I see people waste energy and money on energy when they can easily get it cheaper elsewhere.

You sound like an advertisement for them. We have 2 young kids and I'm in the gym most days so the washing machine is on every day.

I'm also a energy manager with a MSc in energy management so get really annoyed when I see people waste energy and money on energy when they can easily get it cheaper elsewhere.

To be fair it suits some people to not have a bi-monthly bill coming in the door

• Advertisement

Apart from a couple of 25w CFLs and switching off things when not needed we don't go overboard trying to reduce electricity costs. Tumble dryer, dish washer, cooker etc are all quite old but a 4 bed bungalow only costs about 120 every two months. So, you can reduce costs without extreme measures.

I agree that unit cost is the real comparator but also Include standing charges.

Absolutely, switching off things really doesn't make that much of a difference. The easiest way is to replace the heavy users. Eg I had 400W worth of lighting in the kitchen. I replaced this with 32w so I went from 7.3c an hour to 0.576c an hour. now if we left the 8 lights in the kitchen on for the whole 2 month billing period it would only cost 8.29euro as oppose to 105.12euro

I think people have a right to choose the method that best suits themselves. Personally, prepay would be my last choice but I know others swear by it and are willing to pay extra for the convenience.

To be fair it suits some people to not have a bi-monthly bill coming in the door

So why not go with a cheaper provider and set up a dd for 20 euro a week? You can pay money into an account without having a bill.

No bills and your getting cheaper electricity .

So why not go with a cheaper provider and set up a dd for 20 euro a week? You can pay money into an account without having a bill.

No bills and your getting cheaper electricity .

That's an option I'm looking into myself and have previously done, problems with this occur when you have a standing order set up and the provider still takes the full amount out of your account because it takes a few days to go through, security deposit is another issue, €300 is the average security deposit if you don't want to pay your bill by direct debit

Absolutely, switching off things really doesn't make that much of a difference. The easiest way is to replace the heavy users. Eg I had 400W worth of lighting in the kitchen. I replaced this with 32w so I went from 7.3c an hour to 0.576c an hour. now if we left the 8 lights in the kitchen on for the whole 2 month billing period it would only cost 8.29euro as oppose to 105.12euro

At the risk of going off topic, you have lost me. I find switching thing off most certainly made a difference. I'm sorry but no 32w (regardless of led, cfl etc) would do me in the kitchen. You can say what you like but the light bis not good enough - I know as I have tried that route. As for the logic about savings if the lights were on constantly for 2 months, thats just nonsense. Turn trhem off! :)
    There is a point beyond which saving energy just becomes miserly causing misery and I will not go that far. Anyway, as I said we run a house with 4 adults, electric cooking, tumble dryer, electric showers, etc for Max of 60per month by being sensible and not going to any extremes.

At the risk of going off topic, you have lost me. I find switching thing off most certainly made a difference. I'm sorry but no 32w (regardless of led, cfl etc) would do me in the kitchen. You can say what you like but the light bis not good enough - I know as I have tried that route. As for the logic about savings if the lights were on constantly for 2 months, thats just nonsense. Turn trhem off! :)
    There is a point beyond which saving energy just becomes miserly causing misery and I will not go that far. Anyway, as I said we run a house with 4 adults, electric cooking, tumble dryer, electric showers, etc for Max of 60per month by being sensible and not going to any extremes.

you'd be surprised. I have 8 4W Philips Master LED's. what did you try? I actually wrote a paper on changing out lamps and took about a hundred measurements in the kitchen with a LUX meter and the results were pretty good. perhaps you tried poor quality Chinese Lamps.

I'm not saying that i have them on 24*7 i'm simply demonstrating how efficient that are. I'm talking about going around plugging our chargers etc to be pointless.

you'd be surprised. I have 8 4W Philips Master LED's. what did you try? I actually wrote a paper on changing out lamps and took about a hundred measurements in the kitchen with a LUX meter and the results were pretty good. perhaps you tried poor quality Chinese Lamps.

I'm not saying that i have them on 24*7 i'm simply demonstrating how efficient that are. I'm talking about going around plugging our chargers etc to be pointless.

They are only something like 165 lumins each and are a small fortune to buy . Not to mention installation costs. That aside I still stand by only having a cost of 60 or less per month without these extremes and still having our comforts.

And I never methioned turning off chargers!

Apologies for off topic Mods.

They are only something like 165 lumins each and are a small fortune to buy . Not to mention installation costs. That aside I still stand by only having a cost of 60 or less per month without these extremes and still having our comforts.

And I never methioned turning off chargers!

Apologies for off topic Mods.

installation costs? its a straight swap out for GU10's. there about 8.65 and the payback is a few months.

They are 180 lumens but with LEDs you need to apply a SP ratio.

Not really my problem if you get annoyed over it, you are letting yourself get annoyed. We dont like dd for gas or electric. The simple fact is we like PPP, we like the convenience of it and it works great for us so win win really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

Not really my problem if you get annoyed over it, you are letting yourself get annoyed. We dont like dd for gas or electric. The simple fact is we like PPP, we like the convenience of it and it works great for us so win win really.
    may be a win win for you but at what extra cost????financially that is. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Before I got my meter, I hated the idea, I knew people who would get cut off and would just have to wait for the next payday before they would top up again. They'd keep nothing in the freezer just in case.

But now that I have the meter, I do try use less.

If I have a wash to do and there isn't much money left I try see if I can wait another day before I do it.

I try go out to the shopping center on days when its cold and we might have to turn on the heater at home.

I only put the oven on a few times a week and fill it up.

I can see what I spent the day before and if it goes above €4/€5, questions are asked.

For the first time I really felt the increase in energy prices, its all very well saying electricity is going up by .03cents etc,but when your daily bills goes up by a euro,you feel it.

I can see where someone would prefer a meter, but that person would have to have a steady stream of money coming in, like 2 wages or pay and then FIS later in the week.

Most people I know with meter have one payment coming in per week and if they run out or something comes up ,the borrow or go without.

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    may be a win win for you but at what extra cost????financially that is. :confused:

Not a lot. And we arent exactly struggling financially, we don't pay rent or a mortgage so we can afford the extra for convenience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

That's an option I'm looking into myself and have previously done, problems with this occur when you have a standing order set up and the provider still takes the full amount out of your account because it takes a few days to go through, security deposit is another issue, €300 is the average security deposit if you don't want to pay your bill by direct debit

Then instead of paying money off the bill a few days before the direct debit why not lodge the money to the bank?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Someone just moved into a property this week with prepaypower...and they just phoned up and transferred it into their name :eek:

I was most irate when I heard and told them they need to change supplier, so
    How do they find out the mprn number? they've just moved in and don't have it
    Does prepaypower have a cooling off period? - link to t&c's
    Will it cost anything to remove the meter, will there be an interruption in supply?
    anything else?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Dunno.
    They've signed to the one year contract, which is the most expensive electricity plan acceding to bonkers.ie

Advertisement