Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parts need to service a ride-on mower???

Options
  • 01-02-2014 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

HI,
    I paid €180, yes €180 to sevice my ride-on mower last year.
    It is a Castlegarden XT180(2006).

This included collection and return, and a puncture repair.

I simply cannot afford anything like that this year.

What parts do I need to buy to carry out a service myself.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭mydogjack

Anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

My mower is a husqvarna, so I'm not sure if the same applies to your castle garden.

When I remove the plastic cover over the air filter, the service parts and part numbers are imbossed onto the inside of the cover. A quick google gets me all the bits I need or equivalent parts from other manufacturers.

Have a look around your mower for a similar list. Alternatively google its model number and the words "service manual" for help, e.g. "Castlegarden 123456 service manual"

HTH

Thank you. Very Helpful.

The other thing to note (once again, I'm not familiar with castlegarden), is that the same engine can be used in several mowers, in my
    case it has a Kohler Courage engine.

So, similarly, google-ing 'Kohler Courage service parts' will give me the correct results.

Thanks. Its a briggs and stratton engine. Thanks again.

Anybody have any idea roughly of part?

E.g oil, spark plugs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭mengele

has it much work done in the year?

take off the two blades under neat and sharpen should be the first job. ( if you cant sharpen these yourself just take them to the lawnmower man and they will sharpen for less than a tenner id say)

2. check air filter and replace if dirty
    3. change oil
    4. change spark plug.

tbh it was only fully serviced last year and has only done an average amount of work I doubt it really needs to be serviced this year but just for the blades to be sharpened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

mengele wrote: »
    has it much work done in the year?

take off the two blades under neat and sharpen should be the first job. ( if you cant sharpen these yourself just take them to the lawnmower man and they will sharpen for less than a tenner id say)

2. check air filter and replace if dirty
    3. change oil
    4. change spark plug.

tbh it was only fully serviced last year and has only done an average amount of work I doubt it really needs to be serviced this year but just for the blades to be sharpened.
    Just be careful, one of the blade bolts is left hand thread. So go clockwise to loosen that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

All garden machinery should be serviced regularly fuel filter, air filter etc and check for wear and tear on fuel lines etc. Also check the blades, although they should be sharpened regularly throughout the season, I redress the blades in my ped mowers every couple of weeks.

Thanks all, great advice. Really appreciate it.

Best way to get at blades?
    Drive it up two planks etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

mydogjack wrote: »
    Thanks all, great advice. Really appreciate it.

Best way to get at blades?
    Drive it up two planks etc.?

Yes but make sure you chock the wheels as you will be pulling quite hard to undo the bolts.

Perhaps even just lift one side at a time.

• Advertisement

Thank you great advice.

I remove the deck on my mower every winter, remove the blades and sharpen/balance them. Also clean the deck completely and paint it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

A full service on s ride on should include:
    Oil change and filter,
    New spark plug
    New fuel filter
    New air filter
    Clean carb
    Check charging system
    Check and adjust deck level
    Check all drive belts
    Sharpen blades
    Check tyre pressure
    Grease pivot points.
    If it had a full service last year, you might get away with changing the oil and blow out the air filter,

Finnt wrote: »
    A full service on s ride on should include:
    Oil change and filter,
    New spark plug
    New fuel filter
    New air filter
    Clean carb
    Check charging system
    Check and adjust deck level
    Check all drive belts
    Sharpen blades
    Check tyre pressure
    Grease pivot points.
    If it had a full service last year, you might get away with changing the oil and blow out the air filter,

Brilliant, thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭abnormalnorman

mydogjack wrote: »
    Brilliant, thanks a lot.

In fairness . . .it's a lawnmower. Doesn't need half of that servicing. It's only a money racket. Make sure theres enough oil in the engine (don't overfill). And edge the blades . .. . . .job done.

Filters and spark plugs etc will last a lifetime time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you are messing with the blades pull the spark plug lead/s you don't want to accidentally pull start the engine when you are down there.:eek:
    It has happened before.

Advertisement