Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need advice

• 01-02-2014 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi all-

I recently had a few bags of bare rooted noble fir seedlings delivered in co extruded polythene bags-

I won't have a chance to plant these trees until next week - and some of the bags have water in them while others don't have water in them-

Should there be a few litres of water at the end of these bags? Or will that harm the submerged seedlings?

Thanks for any advice in advance-

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

Shouldn't be any water in the bags- my guess is that the rain got in. As long as the bags are out of direct sunlight, and the trees damp, they will be fine. Tree roots in water for sustained periods not a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭businessdit

Shouldn't be any water in the bags- my guess is that the rain got in. As long as the bags are out of direct sunlight, and the trees damp, they will be fine. Tree roots in water for sustained periods not a good thing.

Thanks for the advice -

I have just gone out and emptied the water out of the bags.
    The water has been in the bags now for abou 36 hrs, do yh think that is long enough to have caused damage to the bare roots?

Thanks

No they are fine-it's when water has been there for 10 days plus that problems may begin to arise

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭businessdit

Thanks for the advice-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

I have planted 4 ash trees in a boggy corner last yr, they took well. Its dry in summer, and floods in winter. They are about 5 ft high. Wil the wet roots be a problem in this case?

• Advertisement

Ash likes dry ground. I'd take them out and put them somewhere else even if it was on a bank. While they may grow ok during the rest of the year, the stress induced by flooding will weaken the trees and leave them open to attack by disease.

Advertisement