Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leveling for Golf Putting Green DIY

• 01-02-2014 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Help and Advice Needed

Below are pics of a bit of my garden before and after,

Im thinking of making a Golf Putting Green in this Area,
    Fence will be gone also

Now im in two minds wether to go with fake grass or normal grass ( by normal i mean i would get proper golf green grass and same for the rough )

Now my problem is i dont even know how to level it or best way too do this,

photo2_zps3d161325.jpg

photo1_zps18a61038.jpg

photo3_zps9b73abf3.jpg

photo4_zps6abd3008.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

To be fair with the greatest respect it sounds like you're not much of a gardener, to get the putting green to the same spec you would be accustomed to on the majority of course in Ireland takes alot of time, effort and money, if I was you'd I go the artifical route, they're extremely well made, easier to maintain and in the long run cost alot less.
    Edit to say: you don't want a level green, as almost all greens have some undulations on them and I'm sure you'd want it to replicate the greens you'llbe paying on most often.
    Also are you a professional?, because the amout of time and effort invloved would be hard to justify IMO, unless it was to pay for itself over time or you have money to burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dossy

Cheers for input mate, is it just a case of digging it up then levelling it and put down the artificial stuff

Dossy wrote: »
    Cheers for input mate, is it just a case of digging it up then levelling it and put down the artificial stuff
    No, you'd have to do the correct ground prep first including proper drainage, personally I'd get a professional company to do it right, unless you have the confidence in your own abiltiy to do the job right.

Ok, any idea on cost of doing it?
    Is there anything i can do in order to save some money before getting someone else in?

Dossy wrote: »
    Ok, any idea on cost of doing it?
    Is there anything i can do in order to save some money before getting someone else in?
    Cost depends on the area and the spec of the job you want done, most companies will give you a quote free of charge.
    You could dig the ground over and remove all the stumps of the plants/trees you have cut down, but make sure not to damage any of the roots of the trees you are keeping.

• Advertisement

Cheers ill search around for a company there now, turning over the soil will save me some money alright, as far as drainage i have just under half a ton in sandy stone and rocks

I just did a quick google search there and came across this Youtube clip, check it out, I'm sure there's a ton more info out there too, google is your friend;).

I just did a quick google search there and came across this Youtube clip, check it out, I'm sure there's a ton more info out there too, google is your friend;).

Cheers for that mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Process is fairly straightforward, excavate and remove 250mm soil, fill with 150mm compacted hardcore/804, top with 50-100mm compacted grit/sand. Installing a secure perimeter timber frame (100x50mm) which can be used to secure synthetic grass along perimeter.

Advertisement