Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help my Thai green curry

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 FocusFord

Yeah I used that paste in the past but I would have used it only with coconut milk and none of the essential extras.. so maybe thats why it didn't taste anything like the thai garden curry for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

I have eaten many times in the the Thai gardens sister restaurant in blanchardstown and they definitely don't use msg there. I like it its good!

If your trying to replicate their green curry sauce, the paste tastes very like blue dragon green curry paste(its regular enough for thai restaurants here to use bought pastes), its quite sweet so heavy on the sugar and its rich so I doubt they use stock just coconut milk.

I stand corrected. They do in fact state on their website that they not use monosodium glutamate.

Will check them out in Spanish Arch the next time I'm home. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭livingthedream

FYI,

I was having lunch in Siam Thai in Dundrum a couple of months ago and saw that the shelves in the store room were packed full of red/green Mae Ploy pastes. I reckon they add more to them but their food is very tasty so another thumbs up for Mae Ploy pastes....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

FYI,

I was having lunch in Siam Thai in Dundrum a couple of months ago and saw that the shelves in the store room were packed full of red/green Mae Ploy pastes. I reckon they add more to them but their food is very tasty so another thumbs up for Mae Ploy pastes....

anytime i eat in a thai restaurant i'm interested to see if they use a bought paste or not. so I do try to look for the drums of paste on the shelves of the kitchen if i can get a peep in :)
    I have noticed that a lot of restaurants do use the bought in pastes and particularly the Mae Ploy. Im not a big fan of the Mae Ploy, if you look on the label you will see its 12.5% salt!!! that's a turn off for me.

One big advantage of making your own paste is the 0% salt, so you can use more fish sauce in the seasoning of the curry and hence get a nice flavour advantage over the lazy restaurants ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

anytime i eat in a thai restaurant i'm interested to see if they use a bought paste or not. so I do try to look for the drums of paste on the shelves of the kitchen if i can get a peep in :)
    I have noticed that a lot of restaurants do use the bought in pastes and particularly the Mae Ploy. Im not a big fan of the Mae Ploy, if you look on the label you will see its 12.5% salt!!! that's a turn off for me.

One big advantage of making your own paste is the 0% salt, so you can use more fish sauce in the seasoning of the curry and hence get a nice flavour advantage over the lazy restaurants ;)

I'd imagine that 12.5% is part of the reason a lot of them use Mae Ploy. :)

+1 on making your own! Other than a trip to the Asian store, it takes a few mins with a blender.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Try making your own paste. I normally double this recipe then portion it off and freeze it:

Paste
    10 black peppercorns
    2 tsp cumin seeds
    2 tsp coriander seeds
    10 green chillies, roughly chopped
    5 shallots, roughly chopped
    2 clove garlic
    2cm knob ginger
    6 stalks of lemongrass, roughly chopped
    12 lime leaves
    pinch of cinnamon
    ½ tsp turmeric
    1 tsp salt
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 tsp chilli oil
    1 tbsp palm sugar

Don't over cook the paste. Basil leaves, fish sauce and lemon grass as mentioned above are all a must with the lemon grass and coconut milk in the curry.

Advertisement