Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard water in Graiguecullen-got worse recently?

Options
  • 01-02-2014 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hello all

We've been renting in Graiguecullen (near Talbot Hotel) for the last 3.5 years but have noticed recently (I.e. Last 4-6 weeks) the water quality has deteriorated significantly). Laundered clothing feels hard & even washing dishes, etc leaves a terrible residue. Showers not nice, etc. has anyone noticed this? We are on kettle No.2 and even our iron has residue!

Had I known water quality was this bad when we moved in, I would have paid for a water-softening system but hadn't planned to be renting for this long! Anyone else noticed a recent deterioration of water? Am even washing teeth with bottled water now & and it all adds up!

CMCR

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Bog Man 1

I am on my own well in a hard water area and use a water softener that struggles to have any effect on the situation . The water softener has allowed us to halve the amount of detergent we use to wash clothes but the dishwasher struggles to get the dishes clean with glasses looking foggy and never crystal clear . We have special glasses for visitors because it is embarrassing to give some one a glass that looks like it was used to hold a toothbrush without being washed .:eek:
    I love going on holidays because it allows me to feel clean and my first shower in a hotel has me lost in suds because I am still using the high dose rate of shampoo that people from hard water areas get used to using .
    If you do put in a water softener leave one tap unsoftened for use as drinking water as terrible things will happen to you if you drink it . I just Googled it and the effects much like the Ten Commandments are not as bad as was thought 25 years ago . (The sixth Commandment still applies and parts of the Tenth )
    Could the bad taste in your mouth and lack of cleanliness be caused by the effect of the water passing through the water meter and that Bord Gais is going to be sold cheap to Friends of politicians who will milk it for all it is worth and then sell it on at a vast profit in years to come ,.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

CMCR wrote: »
    Hello all

We've been renting in Graiguecullen (near Talbot Hotel) for the last 3.5 years but have noticed recently (I.e. Last 4-6 weeks) the water quality has deteriorated significantly). Laundered clothing feels hard & even washing dishes, etc leaves a terrible residue. Showers not nice, etc. has anyone noticed this? We are on kettle No.2 and even our iron has residue!

Had I known water quality was this bad when we moved in, I would have paid for a water-softening system but hadn't planned to be renting for this long! Anyone else noticed a recent deterioration of water? Am even washing teeth with bottled water now & and it all adds up!

CMCR

It's been an issue the last few years. Occasionally gets really bad where water has a white residue that settles or goes brown altogether.

It wasn't the situation previously so something about source or supply has changed. Only seems to affect Graiguecullen too, not the rest of town.

Going through kettles at an alarming rate. Corrodes the plastic and they fall apart.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I also live near the Talbot, more so towards Dunne's though, the water is brutal. I can't even boil the kettle without having to use a sieve. Such a pain.

Advertisement