Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hw often would you go shopping?

• 02-02-2014 12:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭

Hey!
    My boyfriend and I were chatting earlier and he just remarked casually that I go shopping too often. To be honest I don't think I do, I think he's just being a typical guy and trying to lure me away from the shops! I'd say I would do a big shop (5-6 items, not expensive) once a month, and then once a week after college I'd take a wander around Penneys and the likes, maybe pick up something cheap but more often than not I'd come away empty handed. Just interested to know am I alone in thinking that isn't much at all? Or is it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

My new year's resolution is to cut down on "disposable" fashion buys and invest in better quality pieces. So I'm hoping to cut my clothing/shoe shopping down to maybe 1-2 times every 2 months and buy a few good pieces at a time while clearing out cheaper stuff. I bought 3 "good" items in January so I'm going to try not buy anything until March, maybe pick up some nice things for Spring then.

Cosmetics on the other hand...I seem to have an addiction. Boots have a lot to answer for! If I buy a lip balm for example I will usually get it in 2 or 3 colours. Same with eyeliner. Once or twice a year I will do an all out binge in MAC or Bobbi Brown and buy several items but they will last me ages.

ETA: I browse the Boots website and several other cosmetic sites several times a week. I don't always make a purchase though and will usually make a little list of things I like, then try source them at the best price or wait for discout codes/sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Ya that's a good idea you have there. I couldn't tell you the amount of money I've wasted on disposable items that I'd wear maybe twice, if at all. Too often I've walked around BT's drooling at all the lovely bits. but I know if I just stopped buying lots of the cheap stuff I'd be able to afford some decent bits.

Hopefully I will be successful! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I probably buy one or two things a month, which could mean 2 tops in Penney's or could mean dropping E120 on a (brilliant) dress and E50 on a jumper I no longer like, which is what happened in December... and in January I bought an asymmetrical jumper, a cardi and a top from Vero Moda's sale, all of which I will wear throughout the year. In February I'll probably buy nothing, March probably nothing, followed by a probable binge in April/May of summery stuff I'll get little or no wear from... hmm if I know my pattern this well maybe I can change it!!
    As above though, I'm addicted to cosmetics so will typically spend the equivalent of a new wardrobe on make up and fancy shower gel in the course of the year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

I probably buy one or two things once every 2 months. Big items then are bought as needed, e.g at Christmas I had to buy new boots and a coat as they were in dire need of replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Hmm... I actually had to sit back and think about this question.

I go clothes 'shopping' every week, sometimes twice a week - but I wouldn't always buy something, just window shopping/browsing to get a feel for what's in the shops (or eye up future purchases).

I go to the usual haunts - Zara, Mango, Oasis, TK Maxx, H&M, Brown Thomas and so on. On the rare occasion I might saunter into Pennys.

I'm lethal for online shopping - but I never impulse buy. I have made a point of putting things on my saved items list and coming back to them numerous times before buying. I also find that it's a great way to mull over whether I really want something. Sometimes this scenario pays off, in that the item may be reduced (bonus for the bank balance) or sometimes the dreaded "low in stock" banner comes up and I decide 'you know what, I actually don't want or need this" (double bonus for the bank balance!).

Purchase wise: I reckon I'd buy 2-6 items a month. These can vary in price (from cheap to mid-budget range).

I am quite possibly addicted to fashion. So much so, that I reckon if I was let loose at all I would put myself to the point of debt :o I could spend hours on Harpers Baazer, Vogue, Elle, Polyvore, various fashion blogs - just reading about fashion, clothes launches, OOTD posts. I often scour net-a-porter and harrods mentally picking items for my "if I won the lotto, I'd buy this...." list

I love fashion, I always have and I hope I always will. I wish I had the money to afford every item of clothing that sets my heart alight. But in other ways, it's nice to save and look forward to something that you really want/need or the thrill of getting something cheaper elsewhere or on sale, (esp when you've had your eye on it).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Ah_Yeah wrote: »
    I probably buy one or two things once every 2 months. Big items then are bought as needed, e.g at Christmas I had to buy new boots and a coat as they were in dire need of replacement.

Probably much the same as this, but not evenly spread - so a few items one month, nothing for a couple of months. I bought 3 or 4 items in January, but stuff I'd been looking for since November. And only one item was on sale! I usually think about a piece I want to get before buying. I go into Penney's about once a year to pick up a few pairs of disposable shoes for the summer. I mainly shop in BT, FCUK, Oasis, Warehouse, Gap, Zara.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I used to be in a terrible habit of buying lots of disposable dresses, tops etc from the likes of Penneys and wearing them once (if ever). I'd also kept stuff for years that no longer fit me 'just in case' :rolleyes: I've since cleared out my wardrobe completely, either selling or donating anything I'm unlikely to wear again, we're talking several bin liners' worth. The last time I did a disposable shop it was to get a few cheap outfits for my honeymoon last year. Now I'll buy a new 'key item' every few months from one of my favourite high quality retailers. It cuts down on the clutter and means that I genuinely like everything in my wardrobe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I hate disposable fashion and I don't have much time to shop. I would go shopping for clothes once every three months but I would pick stuff on the go more often. I have two small kids and the price is definitely consideration but I do not buy something just because it is cheap. I don't buy things that don't fit me and materials are also important. I am fairly often told I am well dressed (nothing spectacular though) and I think it is because I have to be more strategic about my shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭sparkle109

Men generally only shop when they need something. Don't feel guilty for shopping :) Though I would say if you buy five or six things once a month and then another item once a week, that is about 8-10 new items a month, which is probably a lot! But to be honest it all depends on the person and what you'd rather have - 10 reasonable priced items as opposed to 2-3 expensive ones and what you can afford! If you enjoy shopping and you have the money - why not! I personally really enjoy browsing, even when I'm not going to buy anything!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i would probably "go" shopping twice a year.

If i need new boots, i will go shopping or if i need a new dress, i will go shopping.

I really dont get this wandering around the shops and picking up disposable clothes.

i havent been in a clothes shop since last summer when i was getting a dress for my sister-in-laws wedding

• Advertisement
Advertisement