Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Length of IEC visa query????

Options
  • 02-02-2014 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi,

My husband and I got IEC visas last March and we travelled to Saskatchewan in June where my husband began work as a hd mechanic. We entered Canada through Saskatoon where they really didn't know anything about IEC visas.

They closed my husbands visa so that he could only work in Saskatchewan and for the employer that he had a job with (we didn't mind this so much) and then issued his work permit to 2015.

When it came to me and our daughter - on my IEC acceptance letter the validity date was 2014 and not 2015 like my husbands, so I got issued a work permit that expired in March 2014. (only 9 months in the country!!?) the person there was clueless so there was no point arguing about it at the airport.

My question is - is the validity date that's on the IEC acceptance letter; the date you need to enter Canada or the date you need to leave? As my work permit, licence and everything now expires in March 2014.

We got an SINP through my husbands work in September which lists myself and my daughter but we are not sure what to do about my nearly expired work permit as I am working full time here and love my job!

any advice would be hugely appreciated as we are so happy here and don't want anything to get in the way!:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭armadillo86

Lmnover wrote: »
    Hi,

My husband and I got IEC visas last March and we travelled to Saskatchewan in June where my husband began work as a hd mechanic. We entered Canada through Saskatoon where they really didn't know anything about IEC visas.

They closed my husbands visa so that he could only work in Saskatchewan and for the employer that he had a job with (we didn't mind this so much) and then issued his work permit to 2015.

When it came to me and our daughter - on my IEC acceptance letter the validity date was 2014 and not 2015 like my husbands, so I got issued a work permit that expired in March 2014. (only 9 months in the country!!?) the person there was clueless so there was no point arguing about it at the airport.

My question is - is the validity date that's on the IEC acceptance letter; the date you need to enter Canada or the date you need to leave? As my work permit, licence and everything now expires in March 2014.

We got an SINP through my husbands work in September which lists myself and my daughter but we are not sure what to do about my nearly expired work permit as I am working full time here and love my job!

any advice would be hugely appreciated as we are so happy here and don't want anything to get in the way!:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

thanks!!

It's definitely a mistake, your visa should have been issued for two years from the date you entered Canada, ie. until June 2015.

I've heard of this happening to other people and they were advised to go back to the airport to get the date corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

Lmnover wrote: »
    Hi,

thanks!!

Are you not entitled to an open work permit based on your husband's SINP permit?
    Contact CIC and see how you can apply for the permit based on your permit
    Means also you don't need to mess around with travel insurance.
    Have you submitted our PR paperwork already?

Advertisement