Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Layering a Hedge- How to arrange it

• 02-02-2014 1:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭

I have about 160 metres of National Road frontage outside a talented field with a good growth of Ash in the boundary. The ash is about 10 metres high now and I need to top it.

Rather than just topping it at say 2 metres, I was thinking of getting it layered, which would result in a stronger and more impenetrable hedge. Along the main road, I think it would also look very nice, and demonstrate the way hedges used to be managed in the past.

I'm wondering how to go about it. Are there any grants available. Without help, it would cost a fortune, compared to a straight topping.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

You might be interested in this.

http://www.hedgelaying.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

You might be interested in this.

http://www.hedgelaying.ie/

Thanks. Saw that a while ago. Good resource.

What I need now are some sensible ideas on how I can make it happen without breaking the bank. And in this, social amenity value has to figure. Put brutally, I can get a flail in to do the job on 2 flail passes, followed by 1 disk pass at about €20-30 euros an hour.

That's the reality layering needs to compete with, on that brutal level..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Thanks. Saw that a while ago. Good resource.

What I need now are some sensible ideas on how I can make it happen without breaking the bank. And in this, social amenity value has to figure. Put brutally, I can get a flail in to do the job on 2 flail passes, followed by 1 disk pass at about €20-30 euros an hour.

That's the reality layering needs to compete with, on that brutal level..
    I think you have answered your own question there. Do what I did and attend a course and lay your own hedge over a number of years yourself, because you want to do it and can see the environmental benefits. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Oldtree wrote: »
    I think you have answered your own question there. Do what I did and attend a course and lay your own hedge over a number of years yourself, because you want to do it and can see the environmental benefits. :D

I'm actually looking onto that. However, I'm a bit creaky and not too good in the wind- bad back and too much bed rest I'm afraid. Just wondering if I'd be able for it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    I'm actually looking onto that. However, I'm a bit creaky and not too good in the wind- bad back and too much bed rest I'm afraid. Just wondering if I'd be able for it..
    It is hard with all the bending and hacking but it is very rewarding to see the work done. Need to kidnap a young man or two :D or perhaps ask the hedgelaying people if they would like to do a course on your hedge. The council was involved in the course I was on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement