Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need apartment/visa advice

Options
  • 02-02-2014 2:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Need advice.

I moved to Toronto on the 2012 12 month visa in March 2013 (it was good until April). I have a full-time job, and a decent apartment. I will be applying for the next round of IEC visas, whenever they open.

Here's the thing. My current visa expires March 12. I thought it would have opened much sooner, and I could do whatever. If I got it, great! If I didn't get it, I could organise a sublet, talk to my boss about an LMO, whatever. Looking at the timeline of how long this process normally takes, it could easily run over my allotted time. I've already spoken to the boss about an LMO, she said that she would prefer not to go down that road until I hear whether or not I got through the IEC. According to the folks at ICAN, getting an LMO for my job is very hard to do. Not impossible, but try not to let that happen. While I'm waiting, I can get a tourist visa and take a few weeks off. I'm lucky that my boss is so understanding. My current contract ends in March and I have been promised a new one, provided I get my IEC, that I can start once I go through border control and get the stamp.

My main concern is my apartment. I like it, it's in a good location, roommates are good, rent is very affordable. But apparently I won't be allowed to stay should my visa expire. Friends and co-workers have offered to let me stay with them if I get stuck, so I'm not concerned about myself. I don't want to have to go looking for a sublet at short notice or make any hassle for my landlady.

So my question is, should I start advertising for someone to take a sublet in March/April now, or should I hold out?

Comments

Advertisement