Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Irish licence to NSW licence (points accumulated)

Options
  • 02-02-2014 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi guys. Had a search but couldn't find a definite answer. I'm in Sydney the last 3 years on a 457 visa. All along I have been driving on my full Irish license. Over this time I have been caught speeding a few times. I have always paid the fines on time without arguing. As I'm sponsored I don't need to change over the licence but I want to make the switch so I can apply to do the truck test. Will the points that I have accumulated carry over to the NSW licence? I appreciate any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

You don't give up your Irish licence to get a NSW licence. I simply applied in the RTA and they handed me my licence. I'm not sure if they have the authority to remove a foreign official document like that?

The only way to know is to contact the RTA directly.

At a guess, knowing how good the system is over here I'd say your Irish licence details have been recorded somewhere. You might be lucky though and somebody in the RTA could just give you your NSW licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Yes, your points carry over. Points are incurred by you, not by your licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

You have a driver file under your Irish licence. Your new licence will go on the same file. Same points.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

This one is a bit off topic but I picked up a speeding fine and 1 point in Victoria about 18 months ago. Paid the fine but alright when I check the RTA website the demerit not there or never has been.

Do interstate points not carry over?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,337 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

pete4130 wrote: »
    You don't give up your Irish licence to get a NSW licence. I simply applied in the RTA and they handed me my licence. I'm not sure if they have the authority to remove a foreign official document like that?

Yeah, they don't have the ability for take the Irish license from him, ie he can't lose his license, so to speak.
    But they have the authority to track the point accumulated on his irish license and carry them across to the NSW one. I suppose its possible to change your license over and immediately have it suspended for being at 12 points.

Regardless of changing over, I'd assume they could also remove his privilege to drive on an overseas license.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 JohnC83

Thanks guys, my main concern is if I do change over my licence they may disqualify me from driving for 6 months or more if I have gotten over 12 points. I'm not exactly sure how many times I have been caught and if it was double points during a holiday.

Thanks Mellor, is there anyway of checking the points first? Most points I have were from my 1st year in Oz so they should start to expire soon

• Registered Users Posts: 34 observed

It happened me. I had 14 points on my licence that I had accumulated (with the help of a few friends). When I rang them about it they told me that I had exceeded the amount but I did not apply for a license until after my points were below the 13 points limit and then didn't have to do a suspension. It takes 3 years and approx 4 months to get them off your license.

Advertisement