Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Prius+ 7 seater

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

BMJD wrote: »

With CO2 189g/km, the VRT is killing it. A great engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

OP - did you get your Prius yet?

I was in Tadg Riordans this morning to look at the RAV4 (testing a CRV tomorrow) and they are offering 3K off the Prius+ until the end of the month, so it's only 1K more expensive than a mid spec RAV4. I'm currently driving a 2011 Verso, and while I hate driving it, it's immensely practical with kids. 7 seats is nice to have, but not a deal breaker, but it comes with a huge boot, which is the important thing.

The CRV has a cavernous boot and enough room for 2 child seats and a granny and is a much nicer place to sit than the Verso. If the cost to change for the CRV is similar to the Verso I'm going to have a tough decision on my hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭noelf

stimpson wrote: »

I was in Tadg Riordans this morning to look at the RAV4 (testing a CRV tomorrow) and they are offering 3K off the Prius+ until the end of the month, so it's only 1K more expensive than a mid spec RAV4. I'm currently driving a 2011 Verso, and while I hate driving it, it's immensely practical with kids. 7 seats is nice to have, but not a deal breaker, but it comes with a huge boot, which is the important thing.

The CRV has a cavernous boot and enough room for 2 child seats and a granny and is a much nicer place to sit than the Verso. If the cost to change for the CRV is similar to the Verso I'm going to have a tough decision on my hands.

Oh I think the op should have his car now...id be pretty cross with a 3000 euro reduction in price

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭wtawfick

Hi Stimpson,

I got the car on the 5th of March. I'm sorry I haven't written anything since, but I've had a pretty hectic few weeks at work.
    I was meaning to post a proper full evaluation on the car when I got the time.
    The short version is:
    I'm pleasantly surprised with the car.
    Size: With the 3rd row of seats down, it has a massive boot. There's plenty of leg room in the 2nd row of seats for full sized adults. When you do use the 3rd row, there's definitely more space there than our previous VW Touran. All in all, it feels like a much more spacious car than the Touran.
    Build: The car feels solid. Have only done very short runs on a dual carriageway so far. Probably not more than 10km stretch. Feels quite stable on the road.
    Fuel economy: I've only filled it up once. The reading on the dash was that it did 6.4litres/100km (43.3 MPG, imperial). To some extent this isn't an accurate reading, as it's based on a tank fill by the dealer. Also, by the time we received the car, it had about 100km on the clock (it was the showroom car, so a few test drives went into that). I feel it'll do better MPG, than what I've mentioned, but I'll wait till the next re-fuel to give a more accurate reading.

I'll write a detailed evaluation probably in a couple of weeks (hopefully I'll have a bit more time then, & more than likely I'll have fuelled up again).

If you're looking for something spacious enough for 2 child seats & a granny as well as luggage, the prius+ has loads of space. The extras (rear camera, panoramic sunroof, keyless entry & keyless driving) are cool to have. My kids (aged 6 & 5) love the sunroof & large screen.
    However, in the end it is still a Toyota. I'm not sure you'll feel much of a difference from the Verso. If you're fed up with the Verso, it might be worth getting a different brand altogether. I don't have much knowledge of the CRV, but if I were in your boots, I'd definitely research it & see.

If you're ever in Galway & want to take the Prius+ for a test drive, you're more than welcome
    noelf wrote: »
    Oh I think the op should have his car now...id be pretty cross with a 3000 euro reduction in price

The €3000 reduction has been going on since January. I got that, in my deal. They upped my part exchange by a couple of grand. They added the leather seats & rear sensors (my wife insisted on them despite the rear camera, as she felt she couldn't gage the distance properly) as well as a years tax.The deal also included 3 years service, which I think only ran till the end of February. We even had to register the car on the 28th of February (5 days before we had it delivered) in order to make sure we got the 3 years service.
    The leather seats look class:

Wtawfick, reset the trip computer after your next fill. It should give a more accurate indication of your own driving mpg.

My average in the MK II with 110,000 miles is between 4.4-4.6 l/100 Kms.

It's going to be lower in the + obviously but I'm betting you can hit 50 mpg as I said in a previous post.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the update. I drove one yesterday along with the CRV. It's immensely practical - very similar to the Verso. Lots of room in the back seats and the boot is a tad bigger than the Verso.

Bland to drive, but the silence from the EV mode is great. Nice to drive around town and cruising at 50 mph I can see how it would be a miser on fuel with the electric motor taking over to maintain speed. If I did mainly city driving it would make a lot of sense.

The missus didn't like the interior and I have to admit it is very grey. I'm not surprised you went for the leather, as it would need something to lift it. For me the disappointment was on the motorway. If you put your foot down to overtake the revs rise and rise until it's screaming and nothing much else happens. I was expecting a bit more shove as it's supposed to have 136bhp with engine and motor, but it didn't feel like it. I moan a bit about the 2.0 d4d, but at least it shifts when the turbo spools up. The salesman made a good point - the Prius makes you change the way you drive to be more economical. I realised that I don't want to change the way I drive.

Anyway the search goes on. I need go drive the CRV again as I didn't get it on the motorway, but I suspect it's not going to be any great shakes at overtaking either. The Mazda CX5 is on the list now too. 150Bhp 2.2 and the same tax band as the CRV. Meant to be the best handling crossover too. I'll see tomorrow.

Wtawfick, reset the trip computer after your next fill. It should give a more accurate indication of your own driving mpg.

My average in the MK II with 110,000 miles is between 4.4-4.6 l/100 Kms.

It's going to be lower in the + obviously but I'm betting you can hit 50 mpg as I said in a previous post.

I did that when I refuelled, so hopefully the next reading should be accurate.

Thanks for the update. I drove one yesterday along with the CRV. It's immensely practical - very similar to the Verso. Lots of room in the back seats and the boot is a tad bigger than the Verso.

Bland to drive, but the silence from the EV mode is great. Nice to drive around town and cruising at 50 mph I can see how it would be a miser on fuel with the electric motor taking over to maintain speed. If I did mainly city driving it would make a lot of sense.

The missus didn't like the interior and I have to admit it is very grey. I'm not surprised you went for the leather, as it would need something to lift it. For me the disappointment was on the motorway. If you put your foot down to overtake the revs rise and rise until it's screaming and nothing much else happens. I was expecting a bit more shove as it's supposed to have 136bhp with engine and motor, but it didn't feel like it. I moan a bit about the 2.0 d4d, but at least it shifts when the turbo spools up. The salesman made a good point - the Prius makes you change the way you drive to be more economical. I realised that I don't want to change the way I drive.

Anyway the search goes on. I need go drive the CRV again as I didn't get it on the motorway, but I suspect it's not going to be any great shakes at overtaking either. The Mazda CX5 is on the list now too. 150Bhp 2.2 and the same tax band as the CRV. Meant to be the best handling crossover too. I'll see tomorrow.

I totally get the interior being "grey" bit. The fabric seats are a very pale, light grey, that looks ugly. Both the very light colour & the kind of fabric they're made of, looked like a recipe for disastrous stains (especially with my kids). That's the main reason we went for the leather seats. The fabric seats would have been a deal breaker. There is a dark coloured interior version of the car, but the dealer said it would take much longer to get in.
    Nearly all of our driving was city driving. On the short stint that we did on the dual carriageway I was pretty disappointed with the acceleration, until I discovered the Power Mode button. I'm not saying that it does any miracles. It does however get the car accelerating reasonably well. Without it, as you said, there's a lot of screaming & whining & very slow acceleration.
    I have to admit, it is a bit bland to drive. Yet it is no worse to drive than our previous Touran. Even slightly better acceleration.

I'm just wondering, if the 7 seats aren't essential & you're already looking at crossovers, why not consider the Qashqai?

wtawfick wrote: »
    I totally get the interior being "grey" bit. The fabric seats are a very pale, light grey, that looks ugly. Both the very light colour & the kind of fabric they're made of, looked like a recipe for disastrous stains (especially with my kids). That's the main reason we went for the leather seats. The fabric seats would have been a deal breaker. There is a dark coloured interior version of the car, but the dealer said it would take much longer to get in.
    Nearly all of our driving was city driving. On the short stint that we did on the dual carriageway I was pretty disappointed with the acceleration, until I discovered the Power Mode button. I'm not saying that it does any miracles. It does however get the car accelerating reasonably well. Without it, as you said, there's a lot of screaming & whining & very slow acceleration.
    I have to admit, it is a bit bland to drive. Yet it is no worse to drive than our previous Touran. Even slightly better acceleration.

I'm just wondering, if the 7 seats aren't essential & you're already looking at crossovers, why not consider the Qashqai?

The leather makes a big difference looking at your pics. Not sure I could stretch to the leather though. Like I say, if I didn't stray out of the M50 regularly then it would be a contender, but as it is I couldn't live with the lack of power.

The 1.5DCI puts me of the Qashqai - I had a Megan rental before and it was beyond awful. There is a 1.6 now, but if it's a Renault unit then I'm not interested. The other thing is that the missus used to work for a large Nissan dealership. She might leave me if I bought one!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

quenching wrote: »
    Very very few people who need one of this type of car care about going fast

and we all buy an S-Max.

• Advertisement

I would imagine the + to be a good bit heavier than the Prius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

wtawfick wrote: »
    ....So he got me to test drive an automatic DSG transmission in a Golf GTI!! Obviously, the ride was really good & I liked the transmission. I can't really comment if that was because of the improved transmission, or because of the 2.7 litre GTI engine!!...

Which GTI has a 2.7 engine?

Advertisement