Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best wireless provider?

Options
  • 02-02-2014 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi, i'm living in a house with 4 other adults in Cork city. With all of us having smart phones and laptops/tablets, the internet speed is extremely slow and we often lose connection altogether. We are currently with vodafone. Does anybody have any suggestions of a better wireless provider to sign up with? Just looking for better speed! Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

You're getting your technologies mixed up. Mobile internet (wrongly called broadband, here on boards it's known as midband and has it's own forum) is provided by the mobile phone companies like Vodafone, from their masts covering your area, wireless is provided to your smartphones/laptops etc. from a wireless access point which you locate in your house. No provider provides wireless, although they may provide a wireless access point device to cover your house (the quality of which will depend on how much interference is in your house). Vodafone provide both broadband and midband, which have you got?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Skalragg

While you mightn;t be on about ''wireless broadband''
    best wireless ISP in cork is Nova Broadband in my opinion.

If your house is in a firbe area get UPC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 MartinMN

You're getting your technologies mixed up. Mobile internet (wrongly called broadband, here on boards it's known as midband and has it's own forum) is provided by the mobile phone companies like Vodafone, from their masts covering your area, wireless is provided to your smartphones/laptops etc. from a wireless access point which you locate in your house. No provider provides wireless, although they may provide a wireless access point device to cover your house (the quality of which will depend on how much interference is in your house). Vodafone provide both broadband and midband, which have you got?
    I think most people knew what the chap was asking, even those of us not so familiar with the technologies involved. One supposes that he wants to find a service that will allow himself and his house mates easier and faster access: one very much doubts that he wanted a high-minded lecture on the technology or precise terminology. Boards are here to assist people, not to provide an outlet for self-promotion. Having read your reply, he was still in the dark.

MartinMN wrote: »
    I think most people knew what the chap was asking, even those of us not so familiar with the technologies involved. One supposes that he wants to find a service that will allow himself and his house mates easier and faster access: one very much doubts that he wanted a high-minded lecture on the technology or precise terminology. Boards are here to assist people, not to provide an outlet for self-promotion. Having read your reply, he was still in the dark.

Well, do you understand what s/he asked? If you do please take care to explain because two of us have posed. I am unsure which Vodafone technology he has and what s/he is seeking, better wireless coverage throughout his house, better mobile internet in his house and surrounding area or as Skalragg asked, maybe s/he wants to know who is the best fixed wireless provider in his area.

If s/he's seeking better wireless coverage throughout his house changing to another provider will not fix the issue, most need to upgrade or add additional equipment to get better coverage. If s/hes seeking the best mobile internet provider in the area, s/he needs to ask the neighbours or post the exact location as coverage differs depending on many factors, distance from mast, no of users in the area etc.

How exactly are you assisting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 MartinMN

Best you read his question again. Its in English!

• Advertisement

MartinMN wrote: »
    Best you read his question again. Its in English!

Well then if you understand it, is it wireless or mobile?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

I take it as wireless, as in FWA. Maybe I'm wrong also. Can the OP clarify please what he/she is looking for?

hallo dare wrote: »
    I take it as wireless, as in FWA. Maybe I'm wrong also. Can the OP clarify please what he/she is looking for?

The Op mentions Vodafone, they don't do FWA, but maybe they want to change

Advertisement