Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2014 Free Agency

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭youngco87

Yes they do - the process for compensatory picks is very complicated - for the Broncos the breakdown is something like -

Talib - DRC offset
    Ward - Woodyard - offset
    Sanders - Phillips - offset
    Caldwell - Moreno - offset

Ware is not taken into consideration because he was cut by the Cowboys, Bailey because he was cut by the Broncos and Mincey and Justice don't count because they were not with the Broncos at the start of last season

Comp picks possible for Decker and Beadles - both approx 4th rounders. If Ayers signs for someone he comes into the calculations as well.

Ah yeah that makes sense. As a Ravens fan I come to learn that Ozzie Newsome is a genius when it comes to compensatory picks but past that its seems rather complicated!

ballllls stupid as it sounds i never thought of the prospect of desean going to an nfc east team hes in washington today

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Britt signs with the Rams, good deal plenty of incentives

desean jacksons a redskin....boy did that come back to bite us in the ass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

As a Giants fan, was really hoping he'd land outside the division as well.

He's going to really open the field for the 'Skins and keep defenses 'honest'. I know they're Power run/run 1st offence, but watch how many times they'll kill on a play action bomb to DeSean.

Balls, indeed.

Knex. wrote: »
    As a Giants fan, was really hoping he'd land outside the division as well.

He's going to really open the field for the 'Skins and keep defenses 'honest'. I know they're Power run/run 1st offence, but watch how many times they'll kill on a play action bomb to DeSean.

Balls, indeed.

only positive is that apparently they've given him a stupidly big contract still more worried about ye than them to be honest

only positive is that apparently they've given him a stupidly big contract still more worried about ye than them to be honest

How confident would you be on Maclin fulfilling his potential after a year out? I know there was high hopes prior to his injury, but there must be some backing for him if they let Jackson go, off field issues or not.

How confident would you be on Maclin fulfilling his potential after a year out? I know there was high hopes prior to his injury, but there must be some backing for him if they let Jackson go, off field issues or not.

Maclin should be good in this offense if he stays healthy but trust me your gona hate zach erts this year I'm very high on him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Really good article by Richard Sherman on DeSean Jackson:

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/04/02/richard-sherman-desean-jackson/

I really like Sherman off the field but still not a fan of his trash talking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Giants have signed Robert Ayers from the Broncos. Not sure on the contract yet but initially happy with the signing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭padraig_f

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Heyward-Bey to the Steelers, one year deal. Can't say I'm too scared about the Ravens facing him.

Paully D wrote: »
    Heyward-Bey to the Steelers, one year deal. Can't say I'm too scared about the Ravens facing him.

he was probably the biggest "wtf" draft pick al davis ever made at least there where other people backed russell. i remember when he was getting drafted ahead of crabtree i think just scratching my head. didnt even think it was funny at the time i thought the raiders must know some big secret it was that out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

he was probably the biggest "wtf" draft pick al davis ever made at least there where other people backed russell. i remember when he was getting drafted ahead of crabtree i think just scratching my head. didnt even think it was funny at the time i thought the raiders must know some big secret it was that out there

He's an incredibly gifted athlete. Fast as lightning, can get open, great off the line, great at blocking.... hands of fcuking stone.

It really is a pity. The guy could have been excellent. Hopefully he grasps (geddit?) this opportunity. It could be his last shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Giants have signed Robert Ayers from the Broncos. Not sure on the contract yet but initially happy with the signing
    2-year $4m deal with $1.75 guaranteed.

Could be worth a 6th round compensatory pick to the Broncos.

The Broncos have signed former Redskins C - Will Montgomery on a one year $1.325 deal. Montgomery will complete with Manny Ramirez for starting centre - if Montgomery wins the starting spot Ramirez could shift to LG replacing departing Zane Beadles.

Champ Bailey is visiting the Saints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Good god, the Lions have gone out and signed a bad memory, QB Dan Orlovsky.
    Most famous for running out the back of the end zone against the Vikings during that winless season in 2008. Lions lost that match by 2 points:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

2-year $4m deal with $1.75 guaranteed.

Oh that's perfect. Honestly he could nearly be a starter for us as Kiwi is washed up & Moore is still a bit of an unknown

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

C2JK likely to be released in the next couple of days.. .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Odds he ends up in New England or Denver?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Raf32 wrote: »
    Odds he ends up in New England or Denver?

I'll be surprised if we do take him. I think we're more in the market for a Blount replacement - 240/250Lbs smash mouth, short yardage bulldozer style of RB.

• Advertisement

tbh its very hard to know, it seemed the Falcons were in.. now they're not

Jets look likely though from what the beat writers are saying, but its hard to know.

Most teams have their RBs, Johnson will likely want a shed load of cash and teams just arent paying that.

I mean Blount & Moreno are getting what 2.5 million a year?

CJ would have been smarter to say to the Titans he'd take a 50% pay cut and he'd still be earning more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

CJ would have been smarter to say to the Titans he'd take a 50% pay cut and he'd still be earning more

Of all the words we could use to describe CJ, smart certainly isn't one of them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

Jets look likely though from what the beat writers are saying, but its hard to know.

If thats coming from the Jets beat, you can be 100% sure its not going to happen!!

Nope he's not, he'll get a deal but i think everyone will be interested to see what the deal is like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Nope he's not, he'll get a deal but i think everyone will be interested to see what the deal is like

4 million a year is the price they reckon he will get.

I think the Jets will make a play for him - They are screaming for a Runner who can catch the ball out of the backfield. Ivory and CJ2K would be a lovely 1/2 punch combination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

CJ2K can't pass block, so Pats have no interest.

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    4 million a year is the price they reckon he will get.

I think the Jets will make a play for him - They are screaming for a Runner who can catch the ball out of the backfield. Ivory and CJ.5K would be a lovely 1/2 punch combination.

FYP

I think the jets would be better of staying well away form him to be honest, Ivory and Powell were solid at the position last year. if they are looking for another RB there are plenty they can look at in the draft, they would cost alot less for what would probably be limited snaps, and Johnson is only going to decline from this point in his career

Just for the Eagles fans here, how bad us kurt coleman? visiting the colts tomorrow

Just for the Eagles fans here, how bad us kurt coleman? visiting the colts tomorrow

decent special teams player. wouldn't want him starting but hes an ok cheap backup.

not a guy to get excited over he made a few mistakes in coverage but he did seem to make a fair few picks and he will never shy away from a tackle but struggles agains big guys he got mangled by trent richardson

decent special teams player. wouldn't want him starting but hes an ok cheap backup.

not a guy to get excited over he made a few mistakes in coverage but he did seem to make a fair few picks and he will never shy away from a tackle but struggles agains big guys he got mangled by trent richardson

Thank you! Ya seems a special teamer at best, we have a big hole at safety so suppose no harm building depth before the draft but hopefully isnt the starter! I saw that clip alright, maybe trying to get trents confidence up again by letting him run over him in training camp :pac: Funnily enough it was his tackle that gave Austin Collie his firs concussion.

• Advertisement

Thank you! Ya seems a special teamer at best, we have a big hole at safety so suppose no harm building depth before the draft but hopefully isnt the starter! I saw that clip alright, maybe trying to get trents confidence up again by letting him run over him in training camp :pac: Funnily enough it was his tackle that gave Austin Collie his firs concussion.

i wouldnt mind having him in there in a bind hes not as bad as patrick chung for example but he wont be your starter for 16 games

Owen Daniels to the Ravens. i really like what they have done for offence this year, looks scarily good and they even addressed the line.

Wouldn't have minded the Giants picking him up... Suppose they've probably invested as much into FA as they can at this stage, though.

Owen Daniels to the Ravens. i really like what they have done for offence this year, looks scarily good and they even addressed the line.

Hopefully another couple of additions to come in the draft too, specifically at receiver and right tackle.

WR's - Torrey Smith, Steve Smith, Jacoby Jones, Marlon Brown, Draft Addition

TE's - Dennis Pitta, Owen Daniels

Running Backs - Ray Rice, Bernard Pierce

Offensive Line - Monroe/Osemele/Zuddah/Yanda/Draft Addition

Presuming Ray Rice avoids a long ban and has a bounce back year, I think that looks like an extremely good offense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Isn't that one of the tackle they cited as the reason they introduced the new rule about RBs going in with the crown of the helmet?

Johnson meeting with titans brass today, released expected

Hazys wrote: »
    CJ2K can't pass block, so Pats have no interest.
    Ditto for the Broncos

Johnson is currently taking a physical, meeting with the GM after it and then is pretty much certain to be released

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Johnson meeting with titans brass today, released expected
    Johnson is currently taking a physical, meeting with the GM after it and then is pretty much certain to be released

Expecting the next updates to be something along the lines of:
    Johnson is currently taking a shit after a heavy lunch, expected to be released once he's finished
    Johnson asked me to get out of his bathroom. Expected to be released shortly.
    Johnson found me hiding in his wardrobe. Violently beat me before grabbing a gun and shooting me three times in the chest. Called up some associates and arranged to have my body dumped on some wasteland far from his house. The gun, I understand, has been dumped in a river. Expected to be released any minute now.
    Johnson has been traded to the Cleveland Browns for Josh Gordon, Joe Haden and a 1st round pick. Expected to be released shortly.

• Advertisement

Expecting the next updates to be something along the lines of:

oddly enough a good friend of mine txt a few mins ago.. hes in work taking a number 2.. and theres no bog roll..

On another note, Wimbley has been asked to take a pay cut, hes set to make 6 million this year. He'll take the cut imo

Breaking News: Johnson is actually released!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Texans East sign Justin Forsett on a one year deal

5' 10" 194lbs he is a smaller type of back

It's fairly certain Ray Rice will get a suspension so it's cheap cover

Though Forsett needs to make the team first and must beat out Cierre Wood. If you never heard of Wood he's a young back who got cut by the Texans for smoking drugs in the team hotel last season. Went to the Patriots practice squad for a few weeks, got cut and was then snapped up by Baltimore

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

In non Chris Johnson news:

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo 33s
    Champ Bailey's agent confirms he's reached agreement on a two-year deal with the Saints, as @MikeTriplett reported.

fairly surprising that someone would give him a 2 year deal

phatkev wrote: »
    fairly surprising that someone would give him a 2 year deal
    I'm not - its a 2 year $7million deal - Champ played hurt last year and will contribute. He is capable of playing safety, has great instincts and is a top class open field tackler. When playing CB for the Broncos he was consistently very good in run support. He will also do a job as a third CB. I think this is a great spot for Bailey and a good signing for the Saints. And I will be rooting for the Saints if the Broncos don't get to the SB. There isn't another active NFL player that deserves a ring more than Bailey.

• Advertisement

I'm not - its a 2 year $7million deal - Champ played hurt last year and will contribute. He is capable of playing safety, has great instincts and is a top class open field tackler. When playing CB for the Broncos he was consistently very good in run support. He will also do a job as a third CB. I think this is a great spot for Bailey and a good signing for the Saints. And I will be rooting for the Saints if the Broncos don't get to the SB. There isn't another active NFL player that deserves a ring more than Bailey.

I just think its a pretty big gamble for a 35 year old player thats coming back for injury and a poor 2013 campaign. Sure playing him at safety could prolong his career a couple of years but at this moment in time the Saints need him to be a major contributor at CB, a position he’s just too old to play.

phatkev wrote: »
    at this moment in time the Saints need him to be a major contributor at CB, a position he’s just too old to play.
    I think next season will show that Bailey is still capable of playing CB. Bailey is the consummate professional - he is they type of individual that would retire if he was unable to contribute. The fact the he signed a two year deal indicates to me that Bailey feels he is fully recovered from his injury (He suffered a lisfranc injury - he came back too soon after Harris was injured to try and help the Broncos and played in constant pain) and he will view he can do the job. Now - the proviso is that when CBs decline then they tend to do so rapidly - but last season Bailey played hurt, his poor form (and he did play well at times) was all injury related. Bailey does not have the same coverage speed as he had in his prime - but he is an exceptionally smart player and is a very positive influence in the locker room. I suspect that Saints fans will be surprised at the level of contribution they will receive from Bailey. I would have been quite happy to see the Broncos pay him the same contract that he got from the Saints.

The Bears add Brian De La Puente on a minimum deal. I like him and think that's a great deal for the Bears, but with Garza already there as the starter I'm surprised that another team looking for a starting C didn't fancy giving him a shot and it seems like there was little interest in him.

PFF rank him as the 5th best C over the last three seasons behind only Sullivan, Mangold, Myers and Mack.

There was talk of the Giants chasing him early on in Free Agency, but for whatever reason, it never transpired. You would assume it was salary reasons, but it might be interesting to check out the numbers of the deal.

There was talk of the Giants chasing him early on in Free Agency, but for whatever reason, it never transpired. You would assume it was salary reasons, but it might be interesting to check out the numbers of the deal.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000339678/article/brian-de-la-puente-chicago-bears-agree-to-contract
    According to the Chicago Tribune, the one-year deal is for the minimum veteran salary, with a $65,000 signing bonus and $100,000 base salary guaranteed.

Seems like an absolute bargain. I wonder if the Bears have some sort of gentlemans agreement that they'll sign him up for a certain amount to replace Garza next season?

• Advertisement
Advertisement