Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2014 Free Agency

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

youngco87 wrote: »
    Here here, $10 million was around what I expected the Ravens to pay him!

Yeah, me too. 'Over the Cap' have figures listed for the top 10 highest paid LT's:

2a6aef741dea381b19785055d0a092d6.png

If we end up losing Monroe for what is relatively pennies then I will be extremely pissed. I'm hoping that both parties will meet somewhere in the middle and he'll sign for around $9.5m per. Albert will command the same money and isn't as good IMO, Veldheer will probably re-sign with the Raiders but will also be looking for that sort of money. After that there's an extremely big drop off of available talent at the position. Anthony Collins being talked up despite having 25 starts in six years says it all. Someone is going to massively overpay for him for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Broncos have released KR/PR Trindon Holliday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Broncos have released KR/PR Trindon Holliday

Is this good/bad for Denver? What kind of cap space does that free?

Red Bryant agrees a four year deal with the Jaguars. Reports suggest he'll be playing DT for them.

Looks like Monroe is gone then:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000332010/article/report-eugue-monroe-likely-to-leave-baltimore-ravens?campaign=Twitter_atl

For **** sake, why the **** give up what we did to get him if we weren't prepared to pay good money to keep him.

• Advertisement

davyjose wrote: »
    No cap implications - Holliday had an option that the Broncos didn't exercise.

Holliday is a boom and bust type of player - capable of scoring everytime he touches the ball but capable of fumbling every time he touches the ball. He also makes poor decisions about when to run the ball instead of calling for a fair catch.

Holliday started well in Denver - but he was a lot more bust over the latter half of the season. He fumbled the ball 5 times on PRs which is why he lost his job to Decker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Paully D wrote: »
    Looks like Monroe is gone then:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000332010/article/report-eugue-monroe-likely-to-leave-baltimore-ravens?campaign=Twitter_atl

For **** sake, why the **** give up what we did to get him if we weren't prepared to pay good money to keep him.

He's a slightly above average left tackle IMO. I don't think the Ravens should overpay. 8m per year is a fair price for him. Regardless I think it may transpire that even if the Ravens offered 10m p/a then Miami will be prepared to offer more.

Red Crow wrote: »
    He's a slightly above average left tackle IMO. I don't think the Ravens should overpay. 8m per year is a fair price for him. Regardless I think it may transpire that even if the Ravens offered 10m p/a then Miami will be prepared to offer more.

He's better than slightly above average. He's a top 10 standard LT and at 26 is only going to get better. For example:

Pete Damilatis ‏@PFF_Pete Mar 3
    In his 11 weeks with the Ravens, Eugene Monroe's +24.0 @PFF grade was the fourth-highest of any NFL tackle.

Besides, what do we do now? In terms of the other free agent LT's - Albert is not as good and will get similar money, Veldheer will get similar money so won't be joining, then there's a massive drop off and the next best is a LT who has played a relative handful of games in six years. All the top LT's will be off the board in the draft before we pick. Now we're stuck with moving Oher to the left (a position he's not up to, he can't even play on the right side) if he is even kept, which he shouldn't be, or pulling a rabbit out of the hat.

Our offensive line was arguably the worst in the league last year despite Monroe's very good play.

You don't give up 4th and 5th round picks to get a player for three months if you don't plan on giving him what he wants at the end of it. Besides, it is not a shock that he would command the type of salary he's looking for this offseason. That was obvious before he signed.

If he does go it's a shocking decision by the Ravens for the sake of what is relatively very little. Even worse is the fact we've given up 4th and 5th round picks for nothing and none of what has happened in terms of his contract demands are even slightly a surprise. It looks like Flacco will be spending next year running for his life again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

I might be missing something very obvious here but how were the Colts able to sign D'Qwell Jackson before free agency has officially started???

HigginsJ wrote: »
    I might be missing something very obvious here but how were the Colts able to sign D'Qwell Jackson before free agency has officially started???
    He was released by the Browns - he wasn't a free agent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

I'd have rathered keep him as he's not much of a cap hit personally. Too volatile though, he can rip one off but he's more than likely just going to field one from the back of the endzone and return it to the 8 yard line or just fumble.

EDIT: 5,000 posts up, hooray? Fitting it's here though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just seen kurt warner talk about indy and baltimore as good spots for eric decker to land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Nooooo to Eric Decker. Good player but he will be wanting too much money. And the team still have to get Torrey Smith a second contract which will cost $$$

I'd much prefer they draft a reciever then go out and overpay a high profile FA. Sure they could have kept Boldin if they wanted to sign up expensive vets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Red Crow wrote: »

I agree on your second point but for your first point Monroe is a bit more then above average. Joined the team and sat out one week to learn the play book and get settled and from on was the best Ravens lineman by a mile

Only 26 and a long term deal could sort that position for years and years.

If its a case of a million or two per year in negoitations then they already have it. Ravens carried two fullbacks last year (some teams have none!) and now Vonta Leach is gone freeing up 1.47 million in cap space.

If they need some more the punter Sam Koch has a cap hit of 2.8 million and that's a obvious place to cut/restructure/extend

Of course if Jared Gaither worked out he would have been the long term LT, now there's a sorry tale :( Chargers fans know this too :(

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Nooooo to Eric Decker. Good player but he will be wanting too much money. And the team still have to get Torrey Smith a second contract which will cost $$$

I'd much prefer they draft a reciever then go out and overpay a high profile FA. Sure they could have kept Boldin if they wanted to sign up expensive vets

I'm with you all the way here. Talking about overpaying, I'd much rather overpay on a position that's difficult to fill than a no.2 WR who are ten-a-penny. Monroe for example might not be worth $10 million, but is the extra million or two worth having a mediocre LT? No way.

It's why I don't mind the Colts overpaying on guys like DQ Jackson -- he's the best ILB available, and we need an ILB. Why fight over chump-change? It's also why I want us to re-sign Davis because ultimately unless we get Talib (who'd cost just as much) we become even worse in our secondary -- our weakest area IMO. Not worth saving a few bob over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Is it just me or have the Packers ruined the CB market? No way is Shields worth that kind of money, at least 3 better corners left out there now must want around $10-$12 million per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

Raf32 wrote: »
    Is it just me or have the Packers ruined the CB market? No way is Shields worth that kind of money, at least 3 better corners left out there now must want around $10-$12 million per year.

Richard Sherman ‏@RSherman_25 1h
    Always happy for a man getting what he deserves! Congrats @ShieldSam37

Can you imagine Sherman's thoughts seeing that deal. Kerching.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Just seen kurt warner talk about indy and baltimore as good spots for eric decker to land.
    Decker wants #1 WR money - he's not worth it but someone will pay it. Rumours have him heading to the Vikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Not it is not just you, I thought it was bad enough when Grimes got the 4 year - $32 million deal a few days ago. And then the Packers come along and make an even bigger balls of the CB Market. I dread to think what Talib will be looking for now after seeing this deal.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

The high cap was bound to allow better deals for players to happen, I don't really see the problem unless a team was trying to be Duck McScrooge with their cap space.

• Advertisement

Syferus wrote: »
    The high cap was bound to allow better deals for players to happen, I don't really see the problem unless a team was trying to be Duck McScrooge with their cap space.

Better deals for players who are worth it, but not for players who are grossly overvalued.

Not it is not just you, I thought it was bad enough when Grimes got the 4 year - $32 million deal a few days ago. And then the Packers come along and make an even bigger balls of the CB Market. I dread to think what Talib will be looking for now after seeing this deal.:(

Apparently the Redskins want him. Knowing Dan Snyder he will be offered a 5yr $80 million deal!!

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Apparently the Redskins want him. Knowing Dan Snyder he will be offered a 5yr $80 million deal!!

They can have him, I'll only keep him for a deal that reflects his annual 4-6 games missed every year and his tendency to leave the field during AFC title games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Decker wants #1 WR money - he's not worth it but someone will pay it. Rumours have him heading to the Vikes.

I can't see it at all, they won't overpay when they already have a clear #1 and #2 receiver. I do expect them to be active on the defensive side though

Nicks interested in Colts, Giants and Panthers. Be a good short term deal for any of them if they could get it done.

Same with us wrt Davis.

Nicks interested in Colts, Giants and Panthers. Be a good short term deal for any of them if they could get it done.

Nicks wants a long term deal. He's not worth the risk.

Same with us wrt Davis.

True, but at least you guys got double or possibly three times our cap space.:(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Titans trying to trade johnson @ 8 million this year... :eek::eek:

• Advertisement

Definitely going to be cut, nobody is going to take that salary in a trade

Yea best of luck with that. Will ye just cut him?

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

The DE heavyweights can sleep easy too. Vikings end Everson Griffin, PFF's 8th ranked FA DE, signs for 5 years and 42.5 mill.

Not a good weekend for the Bears. This joined with Cassell and Henne's deals means we can probably forget McCown, Bennett and Johnson.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

If he's not cut I'll be amazed tbh, there's no deadline in his salary so he can be cut pretty much up to the start of the season

just stuck it on the dolphins thread aswell, but in the conversations between the titans/fins beat writers its come out that the fins are interested in Johnson for a trade, 4th rounder apparently..

Dansby has been offered 11 million for 2 years with the Cards apparently, I dont think the Titans will be interested at that price, unless they can free up some space//

• Advertisement

Sorry for spamming...

Looks like Verner is going to the Giants and will sign tomorrow morning, he's no visits planned with any teams..

Dansby has been offered 11 million for 2 years with the Cards apparently, I dont think the Titans will be interested at that price, unless they can free up some space//

I'd definitely pay that. He is a quality LB so gonna have to pay decent for him and its a big need for yee.

I'd definitely pay that. He is a quality LB so gonna have to pay decent for him and its a big need for yee.

I think they'll view him as too big a a risk to drop off, i'd take him, if we are moving to this hybrid D that Horton seems fond off we need LBs but we need a couple of quality ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

& Chargers I've heard. I reckon we'll wait to draft for WR though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Nicks will be a fantastic receiver if he applies himself. It seems as if he has a very questionable work ethic. The fact that Cruz got a contract last year seemed to take the wind out of his sails but the reality was that Nicks hasn't played well since 2011. Lots of reports in New York suggest that he was injured a lot more than he would admit too and that he played a lot of games with a foot/ankle issue.

There is no doubting the guys talent. When he's fit and applies himself he's a definite top 10 calibre receiver. He had question marks about his work ethic coming out of college.

He's definitely worth a one year deal with a decent side. I think Carolina or Indy would be a good fit for him. He's going to need a Pete Carroll or someone of that mould to coach him though as apparently he doesn't like discipline and he was fined multiple times for being late to practice.

• Advertisement

nicks is very unlucky with the timing of his free agency. the best wr depth iv ever seen in the draft along with his injury history means i wouldnt touch him unless i got him very cheap.

Lamaar woodley being released by the Steelers

Lamaar woodley being released by the Steelers

He would be a great fit for the Titans new D

Cant wait for this to start tomorrow :pac:

Cant wait for this to start tomorrow :pac:

I'm less inthusiastic about this free agency than any I can remember I don't thing the eagles are gona do much

SI predicting the Titans will get Dansby..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Carlos Rogers to be released by the 49ers, not surprising, he is due $6m and has not been good recently, they bring him back on a much cheaper deal but he will test free agency first.

Tarell Brown and donte Witner also fitting FA.

Meaning Eric Reid and Tramaine Brock about the only members of the secondary from last year coming back. Chris Culliver will be back too after spending last season on IR.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Carlos Rogers to be released by the 49ers, not surprising, he is due $6m and has not been good recently, they bring him back on a much cheaper deal but he will test free agency first.

Tarell Brown and donte Witner also fitting FA.

Meaning Eric Reid and Tramaine Brock about the only members of the secondary from last year coming back. Chris Culliver will be back too after spending last season on IR.

Getting the feeling yee will go after Vontae

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Don't think so, try to keep Tarell Brown around or else try to keep Whitner.

There's too many guy's needing extensions to go around spending money on the likes of Davis.

not impossible but I would say very unlikely.

Rumours coming out of Denver suggest that Elway will be active tomorrow -

Among the targets are DRC who is expected back in Denver, TJ Ward whom the Broncos have already been in contact with. As with many other teams, Denver has been in contact with Alterraun Verner. Denver will need a MLB and apparently are taking a look at Dansby. Jared Allen is being lined up to replace Phillips. There is also some murmurs that the Broncos might take a look at Antonio Cromartie.

Moving out of Denver - Shaun Phillips appears to be headed to the Titans and Woodyard is talking to the Cowboys. There appears to be little interest in Knowshon Moreno or Zane Beadles and both could return on lightweight contracts. Also rumours that Decker is not getting the attention he expected.

Chris Kuper has retired freeing up almost $5million in cap space. Kuper is expected to take up a coaching role in Denver.

• Advertisement
Advertisement