Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2014 Free Agency

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Eugene Monroe back to the Ravens for 5 years, 37.5 million, 19 million guranteed as per Schefter

Super news and seems reasonable demands for a franchise left tackle :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Steve Smith to #Patriots

Please be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Gentlemen, it is 4pm New York time and FA is open for business

Let the madness begin!

Daylight savings time happened at the weekend on this side of the pond...4hrs time difference at the moment.

Jags trade former 1st round pick Gabbert to 49ers for a 6th round pick

TJ Ward to sign with the Broncos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

Colts re-sign CB Vontae Davis to 4-year, $39 million deal:eek:
    20 million guaranteed. per @AdamSchefter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Hazys wrote: »

Wow the 49ers got robbed!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Steve Young 2.0

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

FINALLY a franchise QB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Gabbert would do all right with the 49ers IMO.

Harbaugh must think he can develop him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Please be wrong.

I would like Smith at the Pats but the trade seems like a bad move considering his cap hit will be something like 7m. Would have been better to wait and see if he hit FA.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Red Crow wrote: »

Well last season we must have had 3 or 4 backups none of which he seemed to be happy with. Given Kaepernicks style of play a reliable backup is important.

Not sure about this but will wait and see.

Shot to nothing & dump an unneeded draft pick. My bet is that Colt McCoy comfortably beats him out & the 49ers cut him

TO. wrote: »
    I would like Smith at the Pats but the trade seems like a bad move considering his cap hit will be something like 7m. Would have been better to wait and see if he hit FA.

Regardless of talent, I'm just really tired of our obsession with runty WR's. We need another Dobson type WR.

Regardless of talent, I'm just really tired of our obsession with runty WR's. We need another Dobson type WR.

How is Smith a runt? He clearly still has talent and is still physical for his age something we need. Also a lot better than Lloyd and Ocho. Only place we will find a speed type is in the Draft unless we are willing to pony up for other Free Agents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

I dont think the Pats have that cap hit though. His number at the Panthers was something like that but they keep his bonus money on their roster so the actual number for the Pats should be much lower

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Eagles sign former Saints S Malcolm Jenkins on 3 year $16.25 deal.

Decent signing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Falcons the early winners for me but Ward is a top signing for the Broncos.

Giants signing Rashad Jennings

• Advertisement

Giants signing Rashad Jennings

What an underwhelming set of signings for the Giants so far. We also signed O'Brien Schoefield to a baffling 2yr $8 million dollar deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Eagles sign former Saints S Malcolm Jenkins on 3 year $16.25 deal.

Decent signing

Disappointed that we went with Jenkins and dont see him being worth 5-6 million a year. We've a terrible secondary obviously but I'm not a fan of Jenkins. Saying that he's a good tackler so depending on who we pair him with he could be a good addition

How is Smith a runt? He clearly still has talent and is still physical for his age something we need. Also a lot better than Lloyd and Ocho. Only place we will find a speed type is in the Draft unless we are willing to pony up for other Free Agents.

He is only 5' 9" and I already said regardless of talent in my last post. We have too many WR's south of 6' 0" for my liking. We lost Dobson because of a foot injury and we couldn't put a wide/deeper threat on the field and paid the price for it. I'll only take Smith providing Amendola goes.

What an underwhelming set of signings for the Giants so far. We also signed O'Brien Schoefield to a baffling 2yr $8 million dollar deal

well If he could produce what he did last season, it could be a very good signing.

Resigning Peyton Hillis is a weird one for me, surely Brown is better then him and ye still have Wilson

well If he could produce what he did last season, it could be a very good signing.

Resigning Peyton Hillis is a weird one for me, surely Brown is better then him and ye still have Wilson

Hillis did well for us last year & I doubt he cost a lot. Wilson is massive question mark, no one knows what he will be like if he comes back.

frostie500 wrote: »
    Disappointed that we went with Jenkins and dont see him being worth 5-6 million a year. We've a terrible secondary obviously but I'm not a fan of Jenkins. Saying that he's a good tackler so depending on who we pair him with he could be a good addition

I think he's solid enough and hes still young but as you said it could depend who we pair him with as to how good he will be.

• Advertisement

Hillis did well for us last year & I doubt he cost a lot.

2 year $1.8m

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭SimmerDean

Falcons release Gonzalez: The move saves the Falcons $7 million in cap space. Gonzalez didn't file his retirement paperwork, for reasons unknown at the moment, which forced the team to resort to this measure.

*Might sign for the Chiefs for a day

He is only 5' 9" and I already said regardless of talent in my last post. We have too many WR's south of 6' 0" for my liking. We lost Dobson because of a foot injury and we couldn't put a wide/deeper threat on the field and paid the price for it. I'll only take Smith providing Amendola goes.

So his height makes him a runt? So basically it doesn't matter how good he is once he is under 6ft he is a runt and useless having on the team? No one knows what direction the Patriots are going right now and I for one would be happy there is some experience out there if it doesn't cost us so we dont have to depend on banged up rookies. Plenty of Speed WR out there also and who is to say we wont get one. Smith makes up for in strength what he lacks in speed.

Vikings sign Linval Joseph to a 5yr $31.5 million dollar deal apparently. To say I am not impressed is beyond an understatement. ****ing sickened by this deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Bradshaw resigned for Indy. I know we may have overpaid for Davis but really liking the moves so far. OG,C,S,NT and maybe a WR and we are set. Then go BPA in the draft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

TJ Ward to sign with the Broncos
    Elway makes his usual big signing on the first day - Ward is a major upgrade for the Broncos

I also see the Jags have signed ex-Bronco Zane Beadles to a 5 year $60million deal - mad money - Beadles is not that good an OG and isn't worth half that money.

Edit: Ward has signed a 4 year deal worth $22million - like the deal - think Elway did a really good job there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Vikings sign Linval Joseph to a 5yr $31.5 million dollar deal apparently. To say I am not impressed is beyond an understatement. ****ing sickened by this deal

You masked it so well in the giants thread.:D

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    You masked it so well in the giants thread.:D

Yea I was very restrained I thought!! ;)

Yea I was very restrained I thought!! ;)

Oh god yeah.

So his height makes him a runt?

When I say runt I mean too short. So yes he is way too short for my liking and the wrong side of six foot. At 5' 9" what else can I call him, vertically challenged? I am sick of our obsession with short WR's. So whether I call him short or I call him a 'runt' I mean the same thing.

4z868Y.jpg
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/runt

62NXyS.jpg
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/runt

So basically it doesn't matter how good he is once he is under 6ft he is a runt and useless having on the team?

This is what I said here...

Flooding the team with an over abundance of short WR's, who really are more suited to a slot role and who will offer no consistent deep, field stretching threat does nothing for our offense.
    Plenty of Speed WR out there also and who is to say we wont get one. Smith makes up for in strength what he lacks in speed.

In the last two AFC title games we were neutered thanks to a lack of a deep/wide threat. Oh we had no problems covering the middle with our runty slots, but sure look where that got us.

So to address this offensive deficiency, picking up another bigger WR with a nice big catch radius could do wonders for us. Smith simply does not fit that profile for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TJ Mackie

Really like the Vikings deal with Joseph. Him and Floyd are a nice pair. Nice way to replace the two Williams'.

Cardinals the big winners with that Veldheer trade imo. Raiders, with $64 million cap space, let Veldheer walk and bring in Saffold as a replacement? That's terrible imo. Though it'll probably be Watson to LT more likely.

TJ Mackie wrote: »
    Really like the Vikings deal with Joseph. Him and Floyd are a nice pair. Nice way to replace the two Williams'.

Cardinals the big winners with that Veldheer trade imo. Raiders, with $64 million cap space, let Veldheer walk and bring in Saffold as a replacement? That's terrible imo. Though it'll probably be Watson to LT more likely.

Joseph is an average run stuffer nothing more. I wouldn't get too excited.

Leaving Veldheer walk seems mental, especially considering that Saffold got a huge contract to join then. They have to see Saffold as an LT otherwise they massively overpaid him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Elway makes his usual big signing on the first day - Ward is a major upgrade for the Broncos

I also see the Jags have signed ex-Bronco Zane Beadles to a 5 year $60million deal - mad money - Beadles is not that good an OG and isn't worth half that money.

Edit: Ward has signed a 4 year deal worth $22million - like the deal - think Elway did a really good job there.

Serious overpayment for no more than a decent player. Would just move Clark inside tbh. Ward is a good start. Jared Allen visiting is also promising and the interest in Moreno and Decker is not reportedly what it's expected. Very early days but have to imagine they'd take a cutprice deal to play for Denver rather than make average money at a no-hoper. That said, i could give little of a **** if we lose Decker but i really want to hang on to Moreno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

spiralism wrote: »
    Serious overpayment for no more than a decent player. Would just move Clark inside tbh. Ward is a good start. Jared Allen visiting is also promising and the interest in Moreno and Decker is not reportedly what it's expected. Very early days but have to imagine they'd take a cutprice deal to play for Denver rather than make average money at a no-hoper. That said, i could give little of a **** if we lose Decker but i really want to hang on to Moreno.
    The Broncos and Allen are too far apart money-wise at the moment - but they will keep talking.

I want to see DRC resigned and am not pushed about the others. Ball with be the workhorse - Hillman will be given an opportunity to prove he has stopped fumbling - and there are rumours the Broncos are showing interest in Sproles.

Moreno might return of no one else shows any real interest - Decker will go to whoever gives him the most money (and I would be surprised to see him back in Denver).

As for Beadles - he is more suited to the ZBS of the Jags than Denver's scheme - so while they overpaid he will probably do a decent job for them.

Julius peppers released by bears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Steve Young 2.0
    My thoughts exactly when I heard this news.
    I'd love if we got him, exactly what we need. A guy who knows how to run routes and can catch a ball anywhere on the field. He is a leader too and I think he would do great with Brady.

This talk of him being small is ridic, he regularly goes up and grabs high balls even against the very best corners.

with regards the eagles today jones was always going to be resigned there was a weird clause in his contract that said if resigned before today it could only be for the vet minimum thats why its waited great resigning top 3 punter in the league last year imo.
    very happy with the jenkins signing iv not looked into it yet but knowing howie we will be abel to drop him for nothing in year 3 if he does not work out but i think hes a massive massive massive upgrade over what we had im a fan of earl wolff but hes been injured a lot so we may need to get another safety in fa or the draft but having an above average player at safety is huge for us sadly enough.
    feel bad saying it as his career is likely over but delighted chung is gone he may have ended up last season with more tackles on eagles players than opposition players.

in other news the ware release was reported about a week ago hes not nightmare player he was but if hes willing to sign for the right price he will be a good signing for the right team.

yes steve smith is another small player but hes agressive as **** and that makes a difference also he will be a good vet for all the young wrs ye have. hes been one of the better wrs of the last decade and hes not gone past it he will be a weapon for brady.

btw that panthers pats texans trade is about as win win win as you can get had forgotten about mallett until mel kiper mentioned him in a podcast recently but i was praying the eagles would take him when he dropped on draft day i think he can be a very good qb. so not we can start the clowney texans talk :D

The Broncos and Allen are too far apart money-wise at the moment - but they will keep talking.

I want to see DRC resigned and am not pushed about the others. Ball with be the workhorse - Hillman will be given an opportunity to prove he has stopped fumbling - and there are rumours the Broncos are showing interest in Sproles.

Moreno might return of no one else shows any real interest - Decker will go to whoever gives him the most money (and I would be surprised to see him back in Denver).

As for Beadles - he is more suited to the ZBS of the Jags than Denver's scheme - so while they overpaid he will probably do a decent job for them.

With Peppers and Ware now on the market im confident we can meet him somewhere along. Especially if neither of the above is snapped up quickly. If he's left with a choice to take huge money to rot at somewhere like Oakland or take very good money for a shot at a title in Denver and chooses the former, i don't want him.

Of any players i want to see return it's Moreno, followed by DRC. Moreno has earned his keep and then some i feel. DRC is definitely going to be needed to fill a talent void at CB but we would be unwise to sign him to a long term big money deal.

When I say runt I mean too short. So yes he is way too short for my liking and the wrong side of six foot. At 5' 9" what else can I call him, vertically challenged? I am sick of our obsession with short WR's. So whether I call him short or I call him a 'runt' I mean the same thing.

4z868Y.jpg
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/runt

62NXyS.jpg
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/runt

I stopped here didn't bother reading the rest of your post. The fact you had to put in the definition of runt makes it pointless to finish debating the issue with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

I like the Browns signings of Danbsy & Whitner. Defensive side of things looking strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Raf32 wrote: »
    Really intelligent player and hard hitter but his coverage skills have declined big time imo. Yee overpaid at 6.5 per year i think.

He'll go in at Strong Safety for SF. I think you guys got an excellent player. I'm gonna miss him badly.
    That contract won't be front loaded by any means either, so SF will do well from this.

I stopped here didn't bother reading the rest of your post. The fact you had to put in the definition of runt makes it pointless to finish debating the issue with you.

You clearly seemed to take issue with the word runt in two separate posts. So I used a definition of the word to illustrate to you that my use of it meant he was short not talentless. I clearly outlined in my first post that regardless of his talent, I did not want to see another runty/short slot sized WR on the roster. At 5' 9", if any Pats fans think this guy will bring a consistent deep threat and dominate the air against bigger CB's? Then they'll be in for a pretty big shock imo.

Aqib Talib to Denver. 6 years, 57m (26 guaranteed)

2422305-1971636989-south.png

• Advertisement

spiralism wrote: »
    Aqib Talib to Denver. 6 years, 57m (26 guaranteed)

When he took himself out of the AFC title game for a little knock and then stood around on the sideline for the rest of the game. I had a gut feeling his priorities lay elsewhere. Absolutely stupid money to pay for a guy who will miss 4-6 games a season. One of the most ridiculously priced CB markets I can remember for along time.

Advertisement