Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2014 Free Agency

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

When he took himself out of the AFC title game for a little knock and then stood around on the sideline for the rest of the game. I had a gut feeling his priorities lay elsewhere. Absolutely stupid money to pay for a guy who will miss 4-6 games a season. One of the most ridiculously priced CB markets I can remember for along time.

Great signing in terms of what he brings as a top quality player. Tend to agree with Corvus that it doesn't represent good value financially. But I guess if you have the cap space more power to you. Will that count as 4-5 million a year in cap for the Broncos?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Jonathan Martin to the 49ers for a conditional 7th round pick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

adrian522 wrote: »
    Jonathan Martin to the 49ers for a conditional 7th round pick.

I was thinking Indy (high Stanford contingent), or SF (Harbaugh) would be one of the two to pick him up. We need linemen, but it's hard to see him as anything but a mediocre lineman who'll be a distraction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Very happy with Indy's FA so far. Kept the guys we needed to keep, got a few nice pickups. Arthur Jones will be a significant upgrade to our D-line, and DQ a significant upgrade to our D. A solid Free Safety, and we'll automatically be a much better Defense. Not too worried about the Offense, just need to stay healthy there, and maybe grab a center and a receiver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Donald Brown to the Chargers, if he can reproduce his form from last season in Indy, hes a good signing for them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

davyjose wrote: »
    I was thinking Indy (high Stanford contingent), or SF (Harbaugh) would be one of the two to pick him up. We need linemen, but it's hard to see him as anything but a mediocre lineman who'll be a distraction.

Decent pickup I think, 2015 7th rounder only becomes effective if he makes the week 1 roster. He'll be backup to Davis/Staley I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

When he took himself out of the AFC title game for a little knock and then stood around on the sideline for the rest of the game. I had a gut feeling his priorities lay elsewhere. Absolutely stupid money to pay for a guy who will miss 4-6 games a season. One of the most ridiculously priced CB markets I can remember for along time.
    I agree - the CB market has gone off the charts. It started with some teams paying big money for mediocre players.

I think the Broncos overpaid and Elway does like to gamble. Saying that - Elway obviously decided that the Broncos secondary needed to get more physical - signing Ward and Talib does just that. Apparently DRC wanted the same money as Talib and I would take Talib's physicality and injury concerns over DRC's softness and where his head is at (remember his claim he would retire before the SB).

This is one of those - high risk, high reward - type of signings. So far Elway has won the gambles he has taken.

It also appears that Ware is visiting Denver today with the expectation that he will sign before leaving.

Pretty bad from the Saints that Sproles needs to find out about this on Twitter...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000333199/article/saints-now-believe-they-can-trade-darren-sproles

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Not sure whats happened with the CB market

4 year 25.5 million with 14 mill guaranteed for a 25 year old CB.. is what Verner got.

Titans FO assumed they'd be blown out by other offers, when they seen the size of the offer on the table, Verner said he didnt feel the love and signed with the Buccs :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Broncos favourites to get Ware now too, their defense is going to be so improved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

can someone on here explain to me how the Saints can managed to sign Jairus Byrd, i thought they were pretty tight in terms of cap space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

phatkev wrote: »
    can someone on here explain to me how the Saints can managed to sign Jairus Byrd, i thought they were pretty tight in terms of cap space.

Big guarantee over 6 years and an $11 million signing bonus where the cap hit is split over the contract.....I think!
    Only a small cap hit this year!

(I could be wrong!)

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

Yup, only 4 mill in the first year per what I’ve read.

I think the end-game here could be relinquishing Graham. Otherwise they’ll just be too top heavy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Jarius Byrd is a fantastic signing even at that money imo. Probably the most underrated CB in the free agent market this year. I'd have loved if the Pats had got him but that was always highly unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

Kenny Vaccaro and Jarius Byrd in the same secondary could be scary! Rob Ryan will be having a field day

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TJ Mackie

eagle eye wrote: »
    Jarius Byrd is a fantastic signing even at that money imo. Probably the most underrated CB in the free agent market this year. I'd have loved if the Pats had got him but that was always highly unlikely.

He's not a CB? And by all accounts, he was pegged as the top rated free agent safety so hardly under-rated.

Himself and Vaccaro could be a great safety duo, and if they put a good starting CB opposite Keenan Lewis, they could suddenly have the best young secondary in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

TJ Mackie wrote: »
    He's not a CB? And by all accounts, he was pegged as the top rated free agent safety so hardly under-rated.

He played as a CB in college but moved to FS in the Pros. But by all accounts these days he is a class FS.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

BiiFHMsIYAAlWKt.jpg

Titans have signed Demarcus Ware

I would take wiki with a pinch of salt until a real source confirms.

Yeah it was tweeted as a joke by one of the titans writers, one can hope!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Schefter says he's in Denver today. Are Denver not going to be in trouble with all these contracts?

Mortgage into the future for one big last push for a SB with Manning?

Yeah it was tweeted as a joke by one of the titans writers, one can hope!

Thought so :D My joke sarcasm meter is fooked today.

Id say the lure of Denver will be too much for him. Any player that is approached by Denver right now would be mad to turn them down if they want to win a bowl.

Red Crow wrote: »
    Schefter says he's in Denver today. Are Denver not going to be in trouble with all these contracts?

They had had 27m after cutting Champ. Id say Talib was minimal monies in his first year of the 6 years. So of the 56m probably 7ish. TJ Ward is 4 years 23m so probably the same as Talib so id say so far they are just under 50% of their cap right now.

TO. wrote: »
    He played as a CB in college but moved to FS in the Pros. But by all accounts these days he is a class FS.

what he was in college is irrelevant hes a great fs and in no way underrated by anyone whos into there football hes been arguably the top fs in the league over the last 4-5 years.

what he was in college is irrelevant hes a great fs and in no way underrated by anyone whos into there football hes been arguably the top fs in the league over the last 4-5 years.

I never said it was relevent but I was pointing out he can play as a CB was a CB at some point. I also have no idea what angle EE was taking so maybe take it up with him. I also did say he is a class FS. I also never said he was underrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Denver beat writers on twitter expecting the team has 15 m to play with at the moment. We're also reportedly interested in Daryl Smith and Jon Beason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Leave Beason alone, ye bastids! :p

Knex. wrote: »
    Leave Beason alone, ye bastids! :p

Dont worry, if we sign Ware we won't be able to afford either unless they want to take a cutprice deal for a title shot but the Giants and Ravens are about as far from a Super Bowl title as we are as things stand so it'd be stupid on their part.

spiralism wrote: »
    Dont worry, if we sign Ware we won't be able to afford either unless they want to take a cutprice deal for a title shot but the Giants and Ravens are about as far from a Super Bowl title as we are as things stand so it'd be stupid on their part.

I think the Broncos are still a good bit ahead of the Ravens and the Giants. I'd say some players will take a lesser deal to sign with the Broncos but probably not Beason. He's apparently looking for big money with most of it guarenteed!

• Advertisement

I think the Broncos are still a good bit ahead of the Ravens and the Giants. I'd say some players will take a lesser deal to sign with the Broncos but probably not Beason. He's apparently looking for big money with most of it guarenteed!

Nah, both have good coaches and can turn it around quickly enough, they've won two of the last three Superbowls after all. There's no evidence the Broncos can but that's another discussion imo and don't want to derail this.

Would be surprised if we land either though, both are on contenders already so them moving is a money move and they wont get it at Denver, we're offering something different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Colts and Davis were discussing 7 million per year but changed when the Shields deal came out :mad: has to be the most annoying move of the offseason totally inflated the market

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I know it won't happen, but hate the way teams and players straight away cave in to inflation. Its not like Packers can buy every CB at stupid salaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Earl Thomas and Richard Sherman are free agents next year! Good luck with that Seattle!

@mikefreemanNFL: Ware is in Denver to basically sign a deal. He won't leave without one.

Looks good there already..
    Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

The #Giants and Jon Beason have agreed to a new deal, according to @AKinkhabwala.

Called it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Looks like a 3 yr $30m deal with $20m guaranteed for Ware in Denver

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Ware to Broncos, 3 year 30million(20 guaranteed) pending physical.

jesus, massive massive money

10m a year is too expensive, we'll have to let anyone else walk now and barely have enough left over to sign rookies

Signs are there - Elway is panicking. Two serious overpayments in a day

Mind you, i do love that we got those players but the contracts are massive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

If I was a Broncos fan I'd be happy with 10m a year for Ware. He struggled last year as a DE so put him back as an OBL and he'll be fine. He was beat up last year, maybe because of aging, but he's worth a risk considering he's the best pass rusher of the last ten years.

Al Woods (DE) from the Steelers has signed for the Titans.. i know nothing about him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

TJ Mackie wrote: »

Himself and Vaccaro could be a great safety duo, and if they put a good starting CB opposite Keenan Lewis, they could suddenly have the best young secondary in the league.
    Just mistyped, meant to say DB.

frostie500 wrote: »
    If I was a Broncos fan I'd be happy with 10m a year for Ware. He struggled last year as a DE so put him back as an OBL and he'll be fine. He was beat up last year, maybe because of aging, but he's worth a risk considering he's the best pass rusher of the last ten years.

Denver run a 4-3 so that's the same problem again. Worse is that we had Jared Allen offered a third of that then pulled the offer to blow it on Ware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

spiralism wrote: »
    Denver run a 4-3 so that's the same problem again. Worse is that we had Jared Allen offered a third of that then pulled the offer to blow it on Ware.

Ah right, thought it was a 3-4 with Ware and Miller as the two OLBs

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

2 years 10 mill for Josh McCown at the Bucs.

Great lad, best of luck to him but crazy money.

SameOleJay wrote: »

This extra 10 million of cap space has sent GMs into orbit tbh

10m for Ware is stupid money IMO. Thank Christ we won't have to see him twice a year anymore though. Always played well against us

Every other GM on John Elway...

wNKT7GM.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

SameOleJay wrote: »

Wouldn't be surprised to see Glennon starting should the Bucs come to Chicago anytime after October. He is a nice guy and was always behind Cutler even when he was playing great and people were calling for him to start, so I wish him all the best. But he isn't going to be anywhere near as good without Marshall/Alshon/Unicorn and Trest.

Seems to me like the Buccaneers spend a lot of money on well known players every free agency these days, and have little to show for it.

Revis officially released.

• Advertisement
Advertisement