Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bubble tea or coffee ??

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 mary30

mary30 wrote: »
    Here some more photos ....

Hope you guys like it....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭cali_eire

Hey there,
    Not to be a downer and maybe it's a great idea for here but I am very used to bubble tea shops where I am from in California. There we have hundreds of them and the combination of bubble tea which is Taiwanese in origin with European pasties seems an odd fusion to me. Even in a hot climate like California, Starbucks (which are on virtually every block in LA or SF) will far outsell a competing bubble tea shop. I think in Ireland. I would guess bubble tea could have fad power to generate larger amounts of business initially but once the novelty wears off I could see it as seasonal and very niche. In California, the bubble tea business is mainly sustained by asian-american customers - we dont have anything close to the same percentages of that demographic here. Anyway, I am no expert but that's just my 2 cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Nice to see a commercially relevant post again. for a while I thought Rachael would be next up! in fact that would have been great!

Hiya cali_eire

Thank you for your comments ,all comments are appreciate, and than will think about it .

Hi guys what I can guess is : coffee is wining versus bubble tea ......lololololo at least here on this thread !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭happypants

I'm just back from London and went for a wander around for the Chinese New Year celebrations, I passed at least 4 places selling 'bubble tea' in Chinatown. The shops had queues out the door! I didn't venture into one but it made me wonder what bubble tea was!

Also I'm 6 months pregnant so I'm avoiding caffeine and I wasn't sure if these teas contained it.

Go for it though definitely seemed extremely popular! All the best!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Have you been to visit any of the existing Irish bubble tea operators to see what their trade is like?

happypants wrote: »
    I'm just back from London and went for a wander around for the Chinese New Year celebrations, I passed at least 4 places selling 'bubble tea' in Chinatown. The shops had queues out the door! I didn't venture into one but it made me wonder what bubble tea was!

Also I'm 6 months pregnant so I'm avoiding caffeine and I wasn't sure if these teas contained it.

Go for it though definitely seemed extremely popular! All the best!

Thank you happypants for taking your time . yes there is caffeine .
    All the best with your baby !!

Hi Graham, nice to hear from you again !!

No I haven't been in Dublin yet as I am in Cork and I haven't had time to go to Dublin , but I think next week will be there .
    But it looks like that there slowing down in opening more shops !!
    .... but the price they charge for a bubble tea is a bit to much as far as I heard.

Have you guys seen or eaten a lollipop Waffles On A Stick?
    -or a hot dog lollipop waffle on a stick ? must be interesting I think !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭cali_eire

We had a couple places in Southern California offering them ... interesting but again maybe a bit niche for Ireland, however, you bring up an interesting thought - have you thought of gourmet hot dogs as your business?

You could offer lots of different topping options and theme your premises. Because there are a lot of combinations you could appeal to a broader market and it might not be as faddish.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Did somebody buy you the Guinness Book of Random Bizarro Food Products for Christmas Mary :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Graham wrote: »
    Did somebody buy you the Guinness Book of Random Bizarro Food Products for Christmas Mary :pac:

Racael's Ma, Darina, makes a very mean sausage roll, very hard to get one that is not soggy in the mddle.
    We could really do with an old house purchase/renovation, disaster etc thread on here and get that tosser Kevin to help!

Hi Graham , lolololo that was good what you mention ,( funny ) ehehheh .

just wondering because my cousin had one on those while on a short holiday in France .

No , no I am not changing my mind but just wanted to know what you guys know about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

OP i get the feeling you are looking at this thread as "market research" which is asking for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

Hi Graham , lolololo that was good what you mention ,( funny ) ehehheh .

just wondering because my cousin had one on those while on a short holiday in France .

No , no I am not changing my mind but just wanted to know what you guys know about it.

It's really hard to gauge general consensus on here about products - as they say, doctors differ - patients die.
    All of the stuff you have mentioned I know little about and that's because, well - I don't want to. So it doesn't matter how many hotdogs on lolly sticks you wave at me, it's not my thing. Buffalo burgers in coconut flour buns - I'm there for breakfast.
    I am doing my best to avoid anything containing sugar and grains - unless it's a decent meat in pastry concoction and then you might twist my arm.
    I think you need to turn this upside down and start with the formula of how many of x do I need to sell to make a profit.
    Are there enough people wanting x in my locality.
    In most towns there is a genuine "foodie" cafe that enough people love for it to remain popular - good seasonal produce interspersed with interesting events (loved sherry, Mrs Beaton's classic Sunday Lunch, black and white matinee and tea with books to peruse - perfect lazy day for €25 a head). Cinema night - posh hotdogs, seasoned popcorn and candyfloss with a classic movie. I think that's what you'd do well cos food is obviously your thing.

Thank you makeandcreate,

Very good point.

bizzyb wrote: »
    OP i get the feeling you are looking at this thread as "market research" which is asking for trouble.

Hi there, if you had noticed the title of my thread probably you wouldn't be saying that , I have been a bit confuse in opening a shop and what to choose.

-and I know here we find fabulous people to have a chat about it.

Thanks anyway .

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭clio_16v

Personally I don't think Bubble Tea would work here. 90% of Irish people won't have a clue what it is. There was a bubble tea shop on McCurtain St as far as I remember and it failed. Stick with coffee. Good Coffee. They will accompany your pastry idea better. Bear in mind that there is a lot of competition in the market for it though. You would really need to be offering something different to survive.

clio_16v wrote: »
    Personally I don't think Bubble Tea would work here. 90% of Irish people won't have a clue what it is. There was a bubble tea shop on McCurtain St as far as I remember and it failed. Stick with coffee. Good Coffee. They will accompany your pastry idea better. Bear in mind that there is a lot of competition in the market for it though. You would really need to be offering something different to survive.

Thank you - clio

Yes it's true about that shop ( McCurtain St.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

One of the Asian restaurants seeks it on capel street. I think it's the Vietnamese restaurant. Maybe you ask them how they have found sales of it? I was in China over the summer and bubble tea is really popular. But most places also sell iced coffee. Chinese iced coffees are literally coffee with ice and not full of sugar like American ones. Most us cafes sell more iced coffee in the Summer than they sell hot coffee in the winter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

I have to say the bubble tea shop on Middle Abbey St is mainly filled with schoolkids of Asian ethnicity. Place is always packed but that doesn't necessarily equal booming sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Have to agree with majority of posters here. For me, and I'm Irish, pastries and bubble tea just don't go together. I know the OP has made reference to 'we Irish' but I have to ask if they are Irish? I ask because with the Irish person presumably being their main consumer, they really should consider what they like and the OP doesn't seem to have a proper understanding of Irish tastes. Also I wasn't impressed at all by the pastries posted and wouldn't buy them marked down in Tesco even.
    Some people do like it for sure, especially teens, etc. but I don't see it reaching much past that market.

hfallada wrote: »
    One of the Asian restaurants seeks it on capel street. I think it's the Vietnamese restaurant. Maybe you ask them how they have found sales of it? I was in China over the summer and bubble tea is really popular. But most places also sell iced coffee. Chinese iced coffees are literally coffee with ice and not full of sugar like American ones. Most us cafes sell more iced coffee in the Summer than they sell hot coffee in the winter

Thanks for your post
    yes I can believe that - iced coffee still a very popular beverage.

I have to say the bubble tea shop on Middle Abbey St is mainly filled with schoolkids of Asian ethnicity. Place is always packed but that doesn't necessarily equal booming sales.

Hi Sulla Felix
    you made a very good point .
    Thank you

Thanks pog it
    Sorry but I can't show all the pastries that I will have for sale , other wise I would be doing publicity and marketing to my business , and the issue that I have is about bubble tea and coffee.

Thank you guys for all your help and advice !

Advertisement