Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lambs with eye infections!

• 02-02-2014 3:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭

Lost a 2 week old lamb yesterday - she had an eye infection - eye with a whitish growth on it and a bit of puss on the outside. I gave her alamycin one shot a few days ago and another shot the day before she died.

I went to the vets to get optitrox - and a steroid injection but when I came home she was dead!

Went out this morn and 2 more lambs have it!!!!!!!! I have given them alamycin and rubbed optitrox in their eyes and had just enough steroid to give to one. The one I've given the steroid to has had bad diarrhoea and is lying low and looking weakish...

Any ideas? Should I isolate them which would mean having to bottle feed them...

Anyone else had this kind of eye problem in there lambs and how did you manage it... I had a fairly good lambing this year but this could screw it up and spoil it on me

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

DK man wrote: »
    Lost a 2 week old lamb yesterday - she had an eye infection - eye with a whitish growth on it and a bit of puss on the outside. I gave her alamycin one shot a few days ago and another shot the day before she died.

I went to the vets to get optitrox - and a steroid injection but when I came home she was dead!

Went out this morn and 2 more lambs have it!!!!!!!! I have given them alamycin and rubbed optitrox in their eyes and had just enough steroid to give to one. The one I've given the steroid to has had bad diarrhoea and is lying low and looking weakish...

Any ideas? Should I isolate them which would mean having to bottle feed them...

Anyone else had this kind of eye problem in there lambs and how did you manage it... I had a fairly good lambing this year but this could screw it up and spoil it on me

Thanks

Are the ewes vaccinated, I'd be getting them to vet or a lab.
    Probably pink eye, its very sickening and contagious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

Are their eyelids turned in. If so it's entropion. Hereditary, can come in with a new ram

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

dot of mastitis tube into the eye.

a shot of vitamin E/selenium may help boost the mucous membrane and thus immune system. if that helps get sheep blood sampled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭DK man

They mothers got first shot of covax 8 in October but didn't get the second as I was putting up new shed and old crush was knocked.

Spot on eye is whitish and doesn't look like the pink eye Picts on Internet

Will check to see if eyelids are turning in

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

DK man wrote: »
    They mothers got first shot of covax 8 in October but didn't get the second as I was putting up new shed and old crush was knocked.

Spot on eye is whitish and doesn't look like the pink eye Picts on Internet

Will check to see if eyelids are turning in

Thanks

Just thought they died so quick that the cause could be clostridial and the sore eyes only secondary symptoms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Is the straw dusty? The straw could be the source of the infection.
    Or check their eyes for turned in eyelids, if they are get rid of the new ram and don't keep the lambs as replacements

Advertisement