Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Floods and Electricity

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

WikiHow wrote: »
    This is why I would recommend non slip tiles no more tripping.

A dark night on the tiles often left me trippin. Then fallin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Bruthal wrote: »
    A dark night on the tiles often left me trippin. Then fallin.
    Arent you getting too old now for night clubs?

WikiHow wrote: »
    Arent you getting too old now for night clubs?

Not been in them in years,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

I agree with your point, sorry i should have made it more clear. At present your bathroom circuit is currently on an rcd or 10amp rcbo if you like (never mind the zones) so, you already have the risk of nuisance tripping. I was only suggesting that it time will the rest follow. I always put outside lights on an rcd, id only think if you had a consumer unit with rcbos for all the circuits present it would make life very handy safe and simple fuse board?

Tuco88 wrote: »
    I agree with your point, sorry i should have made it more clear. At present your bathroom circuit is currently on an rcd or 10amp rcbo if you like (never mind the zones) so, you already have the risk of nuisance tripping. I was only suggesting that it time will the rest follow. I always put outside lights on an rcd, id only think if you had a consumer unit with rcbos for all the circuits present it would make life very handy safe and simple fuse board?

My own bathroom lights have no RCBOs.

RCBOs on circuits would be better than RCDs controlling multiple circuits.

I said myself a fair while ago that RCBOs will likely be on most if not all circuits in time. They are possibly more likely to prevent fires than to prevent electrocutions, since electrocutions seem very rare in domestic installations no matter how bad the wiring is.

Id say sensors to detect arcing and trip, is another possible item that might come along sometime.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Arc fault detectors are becoming quite common in the USA at the moment.
    I think though they've a lot concerns about fires there partially due to the wooden construction of most homes.

I also think North Americans are more aware of electrical fire risk because they've 110V systems that tend to mean circuits are always running close to full load.

You can only supply about 1650W absolute max from a standard 15amp US outlet.
    2200W from the 20amp versions.
    So, as you can imagine it's really quite limiting given that we're used to 3000W here in Ireland and about 3680W on the continent from a single outlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

a domestic bathroom rcbo isn't that likely to pose a hazard due to nuisance trips really

it's not like there a lot of standing leakage,appliances or luminaires on the circuit..

there is the issue of shock hazard in bathrooms due to damaged striplights and covers removed from ceiling lights..which i've seen quite a bit

as well as the danger from increased shock current in bathrooms in general

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

If I was genuinely concerned about someone getting electrocuted in a bathroom from a light fitting I would be more inclined to use an ELV light (such as an LED type or a MR16 lamp) than use an RCD.

a domestic bathroom rcbo isn't that likely to pose a hazard due to nuisance trips really

it's not like there a lot of standing leakage,appliances or luminaires on the circuit..

there is the issue of shock hazard in bathrooms due to damaged striplights and covers removed from ceiling lights..which i've seen quite a bit

as well as the danger from increased shock current in bathrooms in general

Cant see much shock hazard from the ceiling light myself, which is the one that lights the room.

Edit: Of course,, everyone knows the main one lights the room:D

How many domestic electrocutions are there per year?

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »
    If I was genuinely concerned about someone getting electrocuted in a bathroom from a light fitting I would be more inclined to use an ELV light (such as an LED type or a MR16 lamp) than use an RCD.

you have that option as per the rules....

Bruthal wrote: »
    How many domestic electrocutions are there per year?

not so many now i'd say

fire and shock risk are lower now anyhow with increased regulation

you get new stuff like instantantaneous showers and halogen spots which caused a good few fatalities and fires at the time mostly due to bad installs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

not so many now i'd say

fire and shock risk are lower now anyhow with increased regulation

you get new stuff like instantantaneous showers and halogen spots which caused a good few fatalities and fires at the time mostly due to bad installs
    I never heard of any fatalities from people using instantaneous showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

There has been a few sadly, the young lad in Waterford 2011, and a Girl in Cork many years ago, I think her father who was not an Electrician in the installed the shower. Id say there has been a few up the country too I have not heard of.

Have any of you guys ever found a use for one of these yet? I laughed when the engineer told me about it, well...

http://www.schneider-electric.com/products/ww/en/1600-din-rail-modular-devices/1655-multi-9-modular-devices/1466-red/

I did not get the chance to read too much into it, kinda defeats the purpose of the RCD, Unless for remote re-setting maybe ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Tuco88 wrote: »
    There has been a few sadly, the young lad in Waterford 2011, and a Girl in Cork many years ago, I think her father who was not an Electrician in the installed the shower. Id say there has been a few up the country too I have not heard of.

Have any of you guys ever found a use for one of these yet? I laughed when the engineer told me about it, well...

http://www.schneider-electric.com/products/ww/en/1600-din-rail-modular-devices/1655-multi-9-modular-devices/1466-red/

I did not get the chance to read too much into it, kinda defeats the purpose of the RCD, Unless for remote re-setting maybe ?

I can think of several. External security lighting, pond circulation systems, well pump systems, maybe even lighting circuits in public access areas of larger buildings, I suppose to sum it up, any circuit where nuisance tripping could represent a hazard or risk to persons or equipment.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Advertisement